Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263516 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4965 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47:12 pm »

Yeah, sorry I thought you meant in game.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: August 11, 2011, 02:06:16 am »

<--- New to the game, with a few questions before my next stab at it.

So from the looks of things, zombie necromancers can raise other undead? Also, the spitter zombie behaves exactly like the L4D version, is it safe to assume that the boomer does the same? Do police stations tend to have better weapons than gun stores?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: August 11, 2011, 02:13:00 am »

Necromancers can raise other undead. Boomers, in my experience, don't do damage when they explode. They spray a blinding goop when they die, however. Police stations are annoying as hell to break into, manhacks, loud alarms, strong doorlocks that can only be hacked... It sucks, go for the gun store instead.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: August 11, 2011, 02:36:30 am »

I would also like to see even bigger hordes, right now i just need a good melee weapon and a window and i can stand my ground against everything, i would like to get swarmed by zombies which got into the house from other windows. I imagine something like from the series "The walking dead" when Rick Grimes walks on his horse through Atlanta's almost empty street and behind the corner there is a street full of zombies.
I'm not suggesting all packs of zombies should be that big but in every city there should be one or two (except maybe very large cities) coherent gigantic packs of zombies moving around. The moment a player would see so much zombies they can't fit on the right panel he would know no matter how good and equipped he is its time to run (something i miss in the later stages of game).
For imagination i would say said horde would be 5x5 map tiles big with 90% of small tiles filed with zombies (almost shoulder to shoulder).

Nah. You know those three molotovs you've been carrying around, "just in case"? Have fun.

1. At least finally something would force you to use them.

2. Horde so huge i suggested would devour you. Even if you would set one side on fire after a while they would come from the sides of your screen and even cut you off so you wouldn't be able to kite them, if you choose the "stay behind window and feel safe tactic", they would smash down windows and come to you through other rooms. (I get goosebumps just of thinking of it. ) 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:16:18 am by kulik »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: August 11, 2011, 06:07:51 am »

I would also like to see even bigger hordes, right now i just need a good melee weapon and a window and i can stand my ground against everything, i would like to get swarmed by zombies which got into the house from other windows. I imagine something like from the series "The walking dead" when Rick Grimes walks on his horse through Atlanta's almost empty street and behind the corner there is a street full of zombies.
I'm not suggesting all packs of zombies should be that big but in every city there should be one or two (except maybe very large cities) coherent gigantic packs of zombies moving around. The moment a player would see so much zombies they can't fit on the right panel he would know no matter how good and equipped he is its time to run (something i miss in the later stages of game).
For imagination i would say said horde would be 5x5 map tiles big with 90% of small tiles filed with zombies (almost shoulder to shoulder).

Nah. You know those three molotovs you've been carrying around, "just in case"? Have fun.

2. Horde so huge i suggested would devour you. Even if you would set one side on fire after a while they would come from the sides of your screen and even cut you off so you wouldn't be able to kite them, if you choose the "stay behind window and feel safe tactic", they would smash down windows and come to you through other rooms. (I get goosebumps just of thinking of it. )

I don't know, but I have ran into situations like what you describe there, and I have seen video footage as well of other players having similar zombie attacks...are you playing too cautiously?
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:33 am »

I don't know, but I have ran into situations like what you describe there, and I have seen video footage as well of other players having similar zombie attacks...are you playing too cautiously?

Something only remotely similar happened when i started a rampage from boredom and blew of two gas stations in a big city. Still it wasn't much of a problem i think i could handle three-four times more of them. Problem may be the huge difference between starting and medicore character. In therms of balance you don't want to get too hard on starting char and since a medicore character is quite powerful one-hitting zombies rambo there isn't much he couldn't handle.
My "huge horde" suggestion may be a soultion, but there may be others, like raising stream of zombies entering your world region (preferably from one direction like the shambling horde from WWZ's Battle of Yonkers) and aggressive upswinging of fungoids and bee and ants hives, robot invasion.... Something to provide challenge after the first couple of days.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:56:02 am by kulik »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4971 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:18 am »

I've seen some pretty big zombie hordes. That one that spawned in my safe house's bathroom was pretty nasty. I used a grenade and a bunch of ammo and still nearly died.

One of my older chars died to a swarm that came from all 4 compass directions, right in the  middle of a large town after setting off a bank alarm. Had like 3 or 4 bears show up as well as a bunch of zombies.

Using noisy weapons can attract them. If you're running around with a silenced pistol or a melee weapon you don't attract swarms and can go around largely unchallenged, but get a shotgun or large rifle and you'll see them shambling in from all around.

Also, the current system has your character getting vastly more powerful as you progress, especially if you're finding and using purifiers. Once purifiers don't give stats anymore it will be more difficult to become superman. Skills still help a huge amount though.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:54:58 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: August 11, 2011, 09:06:14 am »

If i understand correctly, the current monsterspawn is based on a formula based on the cell the player currently is in and creates new monsters on the edge if there is enough noise?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:02 am »

If i understand correctly, the current monsterspawn is based on a formula based on the cell the player currently is in and creates new monsters on the edge if there is enough noise?
Well, mostly based on a current population level, actually. And the population type.
And it's not only noise, there's also sight and smell. (being on open or standing around attracts more).

And it's radius based, not mapblock edge based.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:54 am »

Yeah, if you want hordes you gots to find a city.

Although Ronin's mod made that a central point I think, might want to give it a try.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: August 11, 2011, 09:35:46 am »

Any thought on adding special ammo now that it's craft-able?

It wouldn't be very difficult. We have a pretty good variety of ammo though, what kind of special types do you mean? You can already do 9mm +P+ and 10mm Auto and .38 Super and such.

Rounds I would like to see in game, which I don't believe are in the game yet.
a)cold loads for silenced guns
b)hollow point ammo
c)incendiary loads for shotguns, along the lines of the dragon fire rounds
d)breacher rounds for shotguns

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:15 am »

I think that the suggester for the horde thing meant a much more massive horde than the game can spawn right now, and traveling clumps of zombies. Also, with the removal of stat boosting from purifier, dont forget the planned boost system. XP for stats, buffs, and artifacts.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:01 am »

Well, mostly based on a current population level, actually. And the population type.
And it's not only noise, there's also sight and smell. (being on open or standing around attracts more).

Hmm.. so how does the population change, except for the player killing. do they rove?
Giving it some thought, I'm conflicted if i want to be able to decimate the zombies so much that it's basically safe(which is a challenge in itself), or for the threat to be endless.
Though the spawns can still be a bit strange when they spawn in houses.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:33 am »

Hmm.. so how does the population change, except for the player killing. do they rove?
Giving it some thought, I'm conflicted if i want to be able to decimate the zombies so much that it's basically safe(which is a challenge in itself), or for the threat to be endless.
Though the spawns can still be a bit strange when they spawn in houses.
Nah, they don't move around. They do tend to concentrate on your position.

As for the eradication part, it's really hard to kill them all. Hell, it'll probably feel like a grind. But even if you do, that's still just one town safe. There's still a gazillion of towns. So yeah, pretty much endless.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4979 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:24 am »

So I started playing this for the first time since like 1.3. Died because of a dozen zombies out of nowhere. Okay, started a new character, wondered why the place was familiar. It wasn't, it was the same damn place. Exactly. Minus the dozen or so zombies I kited out of town with the last character, I'd assume. Is there any way to be in a new map with every character or what?
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 777