Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260384 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4980 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:05 am »

You can delete the save folder when your character dies.
But it's just chance that you end up in the same town.
*Hugs*

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4981 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:15 am »

Wasn't the same town, it was the same house.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: August 11, 2011, 11:55:02 am »

Yeah, you usually spawn in the same house if you spawn in the same town.
Because only 1 in 10 houses have a basement and the player always spawns in one of those.
*Hugs*

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: August 11, 2011, 12:00:07 pm »

Because only 1 in 10 houses have a basement and the player always spawns in one of those.
I think it's 1 in 50, actually.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: August 11, 2011, 12:00:27 pm »

Zombies populations tend to stay centered on their home town, but they will resize slightly as the population changes.  Also, if you travel through them and zombies follow you outside of the original spawn area, it'll act like dragging your finger through wet paint--little tendrils of zombie population will exist outside of the original circular area.

A fellow roguelike developer has brought up the idea of using per-cell zombie populations which dynamically move on occasion, which would result in real roving bands of zombies, possibly more complex spawning patterns, etc.  I've been resistant to the idea--keeping things efficient is a priority of mine, and simulating 20,000+ cells of zombies is anything BUT efficient--but I'm considering giving it a try, maybe programming a little mock-up.

1 in 30, actually.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4985 on: August 11, 2011, 12:04:30 pm »

Rounds I would like to see in game, which I don't believe are in the game yet.
a)cold loads for silenced guns
b)hollow point ammo
c)incendiary loads for shotguns, along the lines of the dragon fire rounds
d)breacher rounds for shotguns
a) Less noise in this game would just mean less damage, which wouldn't be all that useful. Right now silencer reduces noise by 45, which is enough to cut the noise to 0 on all but the largest pistol rounds. Only pistol rounds above 45 noise are: .44 magnum (48.8), .45 ACP (45.6), and .45 Super (47.2). If you wanted a perfectly silenced .45 pistol you could just use the .45 FMJ ammo, with better armor piercing to boot. Silencer already shaves 4 damage off for the silencing effect, so using low damage rounds with an already negative damage gun mod would make your gun a lot less effective. Even if the silencer was less effective, you could just use it on a gun with the quieter .22 or 9mm rounds. I guess if you wanted to nerf the silencer to reduce noise less you could make special cold load rounds that have bonus noise reduction without losing as much damage as would otherwise be required for that noise reduction. Right now noise is damage * .8 + 20 if that's over 5, so even the .22 CB rounds make 25.6 noise.

b) Hollow points are a good idea. Just need an item flag to make them work correctly. Could make it deal extra damage vs soft targets and multiply the effects of armor on armored targets. Not sure how useful they would be though, since most of the tougher monsters are armored.

c) Just making a shotgun round with the incendiary flag would do that. Would be easy to mod, think I might do that for my mod.

d) Not sure if that would be all that useful. We already have crowbars to open locked doors, and 2 shots from a handgun will destroy a door. A breaching round would destroy either the lock or the hinges, in either case closing the door against zombies would be impossible - so for gameplay purposes the door should probably be destroyed. In that case, what would a breaching round do? Kill a door in one shot rather than 2?

Wasn't the same town, it was the same house.
I've had that a few times, but not very often. I usually end up in a different town. On one map I had 3 characters all spawn in the same region though, was able to grab the stuff from my former char's corpse and use the same safehouse full of goodies.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: August 11, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »

The one thing I'm having a really hard time figuring out is how to cook food; I've got a hotplate and a lighter, and a sizeable amount of raw meat, but I don't really know how to cook it, but I want to avoid the -60 morale from eating raw meat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »

& > enter.
Aka, open the crafting menu, navigate to cooking and select Cooked Meat
*Hugs*

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »

The one thing I'm having a really hard time figuring out is how to cook food; I've got a hotplate and a lighter, and a sizeable amount of raw meat, but I don't really know how to cook it, but I want to avoid the -60 morale from eating raw meat.
Use the '&' crafting menu.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:44 pm »

I think that's the first time I've ever seen a simultaneous post actually.
*Hugs*

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4990 on: August 11, 2011, 12:14:06 pm »

Hey Whales, I've been thinking about a suggestion for purifiers. Instead of the stat increase, I was thinking maybe something along the lines of this:
Code: [Select]
if (valid.size() == 0) {
  if (one_in(20) && !p->has_trait(PF_ROBUST)){
    p->toggle_trait(PF_ROBUST);
    if (!p->is_npc())
     g->add_msg("You feel fortified.");
    }
  else {
  for (int i = 0; i < num_hp_parts; i++)
  p->heal(hp_part(i), 1);
  if (!p->is_npc())
     g->add_msg("You feel better all over.");}
  return;
 }
That way the purifiers are specifically useful for mutations - both removing them and occasionally getting the trait that makes mutations better. I also put the 1 point full body heal as an extra use for them, so they're still useful for people who don't use mutagen.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: August 11, 2011, 12:14:43 pm »

Wow, look at that. And it didn't even give me the usual warning. Heh.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: August 11, 2011, 12:16:42 pm »

Yeah, I guess that requires a delay of at least a second between the posts.
*Hugs*

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: August 11, 2011, 12:21:30 pm »

A fellow roguelike developer has brought up the idea of using per-cell zombie populations which dynamically move on occasion, which would result in real roving bands of zombies, possibly more complex spawning patterns, etc.  I've been resistant to the idea--keeping things efficient is a priority of mine, and simulating 20,000+ cells of zombies is anything BUT efficient--but I'm considering giving it a try, maybe programming a little mock-up.

I hope cataclysm at some point reaches this point. Right now i feel sometimes cheated when the game spawns monsters in a way i don't like, having real populations moving around...the knowledge they are there physically, oh boy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: August 11, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »

Thanks. Hadn't even noticed the crafting menu; from the rest of the interface I thouht it would be more complicated than that... *facedesk*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 777