Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263217 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5115 on: August 12, 2011, 02:13:12 pm »

Yes, but for chars without the rush trait, they could  give up large amounts of xp for the buffs, so its not like its permanant. The rush trait would just be like having the buff permanatly and cost free. And maybe low morale could increase xp used for the buff, and make it harder to get. We seriously need to find ways to make negative morale more serious, like slowing down xp allocation, and making buffs (like the rush, if its implemented), harder to obtain.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: August 12, 2011, 02:19:24 pm »

"Cinematic" is a popular word when developing games. It's nice to do the improbable* once in a while. It empowers players, IMO.
I am totally with jc on it.

*The improbable is not the same as the impossible. Keep that in mind!
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:33 pm »

Yes, no "AHM A FIRIN MAH LAZAAAARS!".        More like, "Damn thats, a lot of undead. And that one is giant. SHHHIIIT!" *runs away at high speeds*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: August 12, 2011, 02:29:19 pm »

And now for something completely different.
Anyone else think it'd be cool if flashlights only provided light if you were wielding them?
I think with the current mechanics, lighting the entire surroundings, it makes more sense to imagine you're holding the flashlight in your hand and sweeping it around the room.
And head mounted flashlights could be added in with this, rarer than regular ones but not requiring you to hold them in your hand, + being wearable.

The thing is, people have two hands. Flashlight or weapon is a pretty horrible choice, and dealing with the mechanics of wielding two separate objects at once is pretty bad too. I think the current set up here provides the best balance of gameplay, as far as wielding flashlights is concerned.

Dalgren, the question is:
Are we in an action movie, or a horror movie? Because when people in horror movies try to do stuff that's "cinematic", well...

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: August 12, 2011, 02:34:37 pm »

Of course, that's why I agree with you (maybe I didn't make it clear, I really butcher the language :/ ) As much as I like going "FIRING MAH LAZ0R" in most games, in this specific case it should only be possible by surviving for two full years picking implants until you are a walking tank with a brain in a jar. And even that would be a bit ludicrous.

@Glyph:
Hmm. Zombie flicks are usually put in a more actiony view, the game has little to no horror elements to it. It only uses, due to the nature of the game, a bit of situational suspense, but it lacks all audiovisual clues that makes horror horror. Developing an engine with such features is quite troublesome (from experience).
Also, one thing doesn't take out another. There can be horror with over-the-topness. It's just very difficult to write. (also from experience).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:38:41 pm by DalGren »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5120 on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:05 pm »

I agree that a menu of temporary buffs would be fun.

I'm thinking things like:

Ignore pain - removes pain for a minute or two, allowing you to make it through a bad situation and survive (either to flee or finish off your opponents).
Sprint - movement bonus for a minute or two, allowing you to run away - would act like fleet-footed trait, only a temporary boost that stacks with it.
Quick action - overall speed bonus for a minute or two, helping you to run or fight - would act like quick trait, only a temporary boost that stacks with it. Smaller bonus than sprint.

As far as the flashlight thing, I think that should wait until items are listed as 1 or 2 handed and we have two hands. That way you could still use a pistol and a flashlight or a knife and a flashlight, but you would need a head lamp with a rifle. Then we can allow you to tape flashlights on your rifles at an accuracy penalty :)

I'm currently working on an addition to my mod to make food items stack. Going well so far, I just have it check if the item spoils - if not it stacks them. If so it compares the bday. If the bday is the same, it stacks them.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:51 pm »

Are we in an action movie, or a horror movie? Because when people in horror movies try to do stuff that's "cinematic", well...

Action movie, obviously. Blowing up gas stations, throwing corpses at enemies and having more weaponry than the National Guard while shot up on meth and weed, occasionally getting some minor injuries? Yeah, horror movie my ass.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:47 pm »

Its like a quentin terrentino zombie flick :D  (which is insanely ridiculous at times)   I dont know about a menu for buffs, it really takes away that cinematic feel.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5123 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:38 pm »

How else would you activate them? You don't want to just lose a chunk of xp to Ignore Pain when you aren't in any danger, or suddenly start Sprinting when you are sitting around reading a book.

If XP is going to be used for buffs at all it would have to be via some kind of menu.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:06 pm »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: August 12, 2011, 02:48:57 pm »

Haha, I saw that article this morning. Some of that should be in a sandboxy survival game like this.

As for activating buffs, there can be a POWER BUTTON (AKA emergency button)...
There is no straightforward way to tackle this though. All possibilities mentioned have ups and downs.
I'd go with a menu, since it's the way I do things myself. It can use hotkeys like the rest of the menus so it's present as little as possible on-screen.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: August 12, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »

That could work, hotkeys and a menu. I like that a lot, actually. Now we just have to brainstorm a bunch of buffs :)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: August 12, 2011, 02:54:24 pm »

Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5128 on: August 12, 2011, 03:01:15 pm »

No, no menus! Have it be activate the way adrenaline is in real life, by pain and danger. zombie starts wailing on you, buff kicks in.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: August 12, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »

I think that hot keys would be a nice medium for those that want menus and those that want an auto effect. That said, there could be an option implemented for auto activation.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 777