Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263334 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5340 on: August 15, 2011, 11:17:27 am »

Android trait gave me Adamantium Claws and Ethanol Burner. I also have Tough, so I've effectively generated Wolverine without the healing factor.

EDIT: Also, I beat a bear to death with a shotgun.

Just remember, you can't pickup booze with your claws out. My wolverine type character is still my best death. Starved to death due to running out of power while my claws were out was hilarious.
Wait, I didn't think there was a power cost for retracting claws, I've never got that cost myself, really.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5341 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35:17 am »

Thats why I like getting the metabolic interchange power source. You don't have to do anything to get power, it just makes you hungry. And food is easy to come by, just butcher an animal or raid a grocery store.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: August 15, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »

I prefer the ethanol myself; alcohol in this game is so easy to come by, and typically is imbibed all the time even without the power generation.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #5343 on: August 15, 2011, 12:20:08 pm »

Android trait gave me Adamantium Claws and Ethanol Burner. I also have Tough, so I've effectively generated Wolverine without the healing factor.

EDIT: Also, I beat a bear to death with a shotgun.

Just remember, you can't pickup booze with your claws out. My wolverine type character is still my best death. Starved to death due to running out of power while my claws were out was hilarious.
There's no power cost for retracting claws, you liar
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: August 15, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »

It won't let you retract them unless you actually have the 3 power needed to extend them. It doesn't take power, it just needs you to have some lying around.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: August 15, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

It won't let you retract them unless you actually have the 3 power needed to extend them. It doesn't take power, it just needs you to have some lying around.

Sounds like an oversight. Just need to add a check in the power_bionics code to activate anyway if you have your claws out.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: August 15, 2011, 01:24:20 pm »

Best run yet it's 2:59 on day 2.  I got a shovel a machete, a handgun I have yet to use, and 4 skill in both melee and cutting weapons.  Plenty of food, 3 hotplates, 5 flashlights, a defensive position(I.E. A boarded up house surrounded by pits 3 deep on all sides) a chainsaw, 3 plastic bottles full of gas, and a kill list a mile long.

Shovels are cheap as hell though, dig a pit in 2 seconds big enough to severely harm anything and slow it long enough to get 6 machete swings in.  If something comes after me while I'm scavenging I just dig a pit in it's general direction wait for it to fall in and then hack at it with my machete or chainsaw til it's dead.

Only things I encountered so far that give me any difficulty at all are shockers boomers and spitters.  And even those just mean I have to think about my positioning a bit before digging a hole and watching them fall in as they chase me around a corner or something.  I hear pits will be nerfed soon, that is good.

Watch now that I said something, some hulk or some other horrible thing I only ever heard about busts through my wall in the middle of the night and punches my face through my brain while offering flavored sugar water.

Why do you have 3 hotplates and 5 flashlights? Just carry around 1 of each and reload with batteries when needed.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: August 15, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »

I prefer the ethanol myself; alcohol in this game is so easy to come by, and typically is imbibed all the time even without the power generation.

That one is good too, especially if you have a large power capacity due to installing lots of the internal batteries. I just like the food one better, since I never seem to lack food and you can eat as much food as you want without negative effects. I had one char with the ethanol one and the regen implant. I went through a science lab and kept getting shot by turrets and using the regen to heal, drinking whiskey as I went to get the power back. After a couple nasty wounds (dang turrets kept popping me in the eye) my character was totally smashed and when I left the lab later and rested up I found that I had picked up some alcohol addiction.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: August 15, 2011, 01:33:56 pm »

That one is good too, especially if you have a large power capacity due to installing lots of the internal batteries. I just like the food one better, since I never seem to lack food and you can eat as much food as you want without negative effects. I had one char with the ethanol one and the regen implant. I went through a science lab and kept getting shot by turrets and using the regen to heal, drinking whiskey as I went to get the power back. After a couple nasty wounds (dang turrets kept popping me in the eye) my character was totally smashed and when I left the lab later and rested up I found that I had picked up some alcohol addiction.
Dude. That blood purifier bionic. Use it. Cleans you of alcohol.
That's why the Ethanol Burner is so awesome. You can clear all negative effects fast.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: August 15, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »

So I just hit a jackpot. I found some crashed wreckage with a whole bunch of CMBs in it. I got 1 melee combat, 1 ranged combat, 2 medical, 2 sensory, 2 neurological, a hazmat unit and an aquatic unit. Now I just need to find a power generation module and and makes some battery mods and I'll be good to go.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: August 15, 2011, 01:51:49 pm »

That's why the Ethanol Burner is so awesome. You can clear all negative effects fast.

Never actually managed to find a Hazmat CBM, and only ever got the 1 medical, guess I'm just unlucky.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:53:33 pm by Paul »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: August 15, 2011, 01:55:02 pm »

Never actually managed to find a Hazmat CBM, guess I'm just unlucky.

Am I allowed to make shameless selfpromotion?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: August 15, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »

What does bionic_construction and the hazmat do?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: August 15, 2011, 01:57:28 pm »

I know of the mod, just thought it was a bit too easy. I prefer the bionics to be difficult to get. With that mod I could outfit a char in every bionic in the game within a few game days.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: August 15, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »

I know of the mod, just thought it was a bit too easy. I prefer the bionics to be difficult to get. With that mod I could outfit a char in every bionic in the game within a few game days.
Doubt it, the electronic components are kinda hard to get. I don't think I ever got enough for more than 2 CBMs over a playthrough.
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 777