Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263364 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5355 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:58 pm »

Hard to get? Not really. Amp circuits are just flashlights, radios, etc. Power converters are soldering irons, electrohacks, batteries, or just more amp circuits.

Raid a couple hardware and sporting goods stores and you'll be rolling in flashlights & radios. Unload the batteries, turn them into amp circuits. Turn the batteries into power converters. For extra power converters just use the amp circuits. Two radios and 6 flashlights = 8 amp circuits 2 power converters. Convert 4 of the amp circuits and you have a CBM with 2 amp circuits left over.

Science labs are easy too. Hit a science lab and you'll find tons of soldering irons, power converters,  amp circuits, the materials to make electrohacks (more power converters), radios, flashlights, transponder circuits, etc.

4 power converters 2 amp circuits is trivial to find.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:54 pm »

Huh. Guess you're right.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: August 15, 2011, 02:32:39 pm »

A bionics crafting system that uses rare bionic components found in science labs would be cool. Could make a special bionics room in the science lab with a chance of having a completed bionic and tables with parts laying about. Putting parts inside banks could be a good place for them too. Right now bank vaults are mostly empty, find a purifier or some plutonium in them sometimes but often nothing. Finding bionic components would be worth the effort of breaking into the vaults.

Could leave the parts on the random dead scientists as well, that way instead of finding full bionic canisters you find parts to maybe craft one scattered on the scientists. The only place to find the premade bionics would be the special bionics rooms in labs, outside that you would have to craft them yourself from collected parts.

Could still use current items like power converters and amp circuits too, just require a couple biosensors and some bionics chips and a bionic controller (or whatever names would be good for the parts) to go with them.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: August 15, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

So I'm lost in the sewers and my flashlight died. Any tricks on how to find a staircase?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: August 15, 2011, 03:36:10 pm »

Go back the way you came and hope nothing kills you?
*Hugs*

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:10 pm »

Don't forget to turn on run mode whilst you search blindly in the sewers.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: August 15, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »

Look at your map and blindly stumble in the direction of the stairs?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: August 15, 2011, 03:50:05 pm »

Funny, all the time I've played I don't think I've ever went into the sewers. Been next to sewers while in a basement or science lab. Found a science lab that bordered a sewer with doors leading to a room with sewer. But never actually raised a manhole cover and climbed down.

Anything interesting down there?

Oh, and I suggest using map notes when exploring complex areas. I always mark my entry point of a science lab, and mark all the sections with E for explored after I've cleared them out. That way if I need to leave and come back I won't have to remember which parts I haven't been in yet. Wouldn't hurt to put an "Exit" note when you go down in the sewers, unless the map already marks the exit clearly for you (In science labs it doesn't).

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: August 15, 2011, 04:09:00 pm »

Funny, all the time I've played I don't think I've ever went into the sewers. Been next to sewers while in a basement or science lab. Found a science lab that bordered a sewer with doors leading to a room with sewer. But never actually raised a manhole cover and climbed down.

Anything interesting down there?

Oh, and I suggest using map notes when exploring complex areas. I always mark my entry point of a science lab, and mark all the sections with E for explored after I've cleared them out. That way if I need to leave and come back I won't have to remember which parts I haven't been in yet. Wouldn't hurt to put an "Exit" note when you go down in the sewers, unless the map already marks the exit clearly for you (In science labs it doesn't).

The problem is that I literally can't find stair. I have nine tiles of view and no landmarks.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #5364 on: August 15, 2011, 04:15:19 pm »

I wish there was something I could do about the spawning. Every time I die, it's because I was walking along and suddenly a giant horde of zombies spawned, with 6 or 7 special zombies, (usually Shockers, Spitters and Fast Zombies) and I was either ill-equipped because it wasn't even noon of Day 1 yet, or I just fought the last horde off and I was low on health and trying to get to a pharmacy.
It sucks because I could probably survive a lot longer if these hordes would just stop spawning so soon. I wouldn't mind it happening on Day 2 or maybe even during the night, but the morning of Day 1 just seems unfair. I'm not even being that loud, unless bashing zombies over the head with a baseball bat is just as loud as a shotgun going off.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: August 15, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »

Lemme guess, you're strolling right in the middle of the town, yeah? Don't do that, you'll live longer. Towns are for experienced and equipped survivors. Stick to town borders for now.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: August 15, 2011, 04:20:41 pm »

The problem is that I literally can't find stair. I have nine tiles of view and no landmarks.
If you came from a subway station, then it should be visible. If you came down from a manhole, then you're out of luck.

Try going to the middle tile and groping around til you find stairs?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: August 15, 2011, 04:29:49 pm »

Why do you have 3 hotplates and 5 flashlights? Just carry around 1 of each and reload with batteries when needed.
Because I'm too lazy to unload them and I found 3 hotplates in one hardware store after searching EVERY OTHER GODDAMN BUILDING IN THE ENTIRE TOWN AND FINDING NONE. Seriously When I posted that I had just gotten back to my safehouse with all three of them nearly weeping with joy.

The flashlights are just there because my first night really creeped me out.  And I decided I'd grab every one I could find.  I also have decent electronics skill, so there is a use to having so many.  That char is still alive, 3:AM day 3.  My current goal is skillbooks.  I need to get my electronics skill up to a level where I can make something more useful than a radio which only seems good for attracting zombies, and my firearms skill up enough to actually use this silencer I made.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: August 15, 2011, 04:30:03 pm »

If you came from a subway station, then it should be visible. If you came down from a manhole, then you're out of luck.

Try going to the middle tile and groping around til you find stairs?

Yeah...I found a new station, went up killed that fast zombie that was waiting for me, took his  flashlight and wnet back down and found the correct exit. Took about 30min in game. The upside is that I found 3 new basements to explore. The first of which is chock full of more ammo than I could ever use. Every single rack has at least 5 stacks of ammo on it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: August 15, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »

Does a radio even do anything?
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 777