Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263446 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5430 on: August 16, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »

Every single one of my melee builds has at least one point in dodge no matter what. I honestly see it as the most valuable skill in the game, and its a pain the arse to train.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: August 16, 2011, 04:01:30 pm »

If you're going for power, you want no points in skills, and instead focus on taking high stats and good traits, with several effective dump traits. I go for schizophrenic, asthmatic, and either bad back or hoarder.

Actually quite the opposite, im so sick of power characters that im playing now with more believable characters. The random characters feel bland thoug, so im making average custom characters for which i can think of backstorry of some sort.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: August 16, 2011, 04:06:59 pm »

Finding a balance of playability and flavor is damn hard, but doable. I feel guilty whenever I power play, to be honest, but its hard to get anywhere without playing for power. Damn, now Im on one big guilt trip.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: August 16, 2011, 04:08:07 pm »

Mine is Asthmatic, Schizophrenic, Jittery, Quick, Drunken Master, 14 str 10 dex 12 int 8 per.

Speaking of Drunken Master, I have a question for the room. Can't you take Lightweight to make Drunken Master less expensive and more effective?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5434 on: August 16, 2011, 04:11:06 pm »

Yeah, I suppose so- but remember, alcohol is plentiful, and the more you drink, the more your morale goes up.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: August 16, 2011, 04:12:04 pm »

I don't know, I usually only carry one bottle of tequila around as it's the highest morale modifier and you can get a lot of sips out of 1 bottle.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:45 pm »

Hey, long time reader, first time posting!
I am a big fan of this game and hope you stay devoted to it for a long time! But alas, I've got a problem with a bug that i recently discovered.
I was limping around with my katana, due to major damage by brutes. A skeleton suddenly appears and I stab it. Of course, the katana gets stuck and i'm now completely without any useful weapons. So i improvise and smash down a door, take a 2X4 and begin to smash the bastard. But, and here's the catch, he didn't take any damage. At all. So, with him being invinscible, he proceeds to end my puny life.

I mean, wth? Did my katana just render the skeleton immune to any sort of damage at all? Anyway, i hope you look this up, because it could be a small yet irritating bug.

Oh man this bug.  Once in a while, a skeleton (seems to only be skeletons) will either be spawned with, or somehow have its health increased to (I'm not sure which) some insanely high number (I'm not sure how high--it's low enough that I have gotten them down to "Moderately wounded" before).  I do not know why this happens; I'm not even sure of the circumstances under which it happens, or even what's happening exactly.  Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Also there's the fact that NPCs seem to like going through windows, even though there's a perfectly serviceable door right next to said window.

This is actually proper behavior.  NPCs pathfind using A*, which is pretty much industry standard pathfinding--much smarter than how zombies do it.  They estimate the time it'll take them to move into any tile; in the case of doors, this includes the time required to smash the door down.  Right now, NPCs magically know whether a door is unlocked, and if one is locked, they usually use a window instead since it's much faster.

Amusing bug. It is apparently possible to train your combat skills fighting schizophrenic hallucinations.

I woke up on day 5 in my basement stronghold, had some hallucinatory monsters bug me. I went upstairs, did some scavenging and came back downstairs. My imaginary ant and zombie friends were still there, so I pistol whiped them. When gave my my first point in bashing.

Now if only I could find a fraking beginners electronics book I'll be set.  zero out of five libraries so far have stocked it.

Not sure if want.  I mean, it sort of makes sense that fighting your imaginary foes would train combat... right?  Maybe?  Wouldn't be too hard to fix, at any rate.

I dash in a lab, shoot the turret in the hall, and sleep in a somewhat inner room. There is a Lightning storm as soon as I wake up, and it hits nearby. Then Acid rain. As soon as the weather changes to less violent weather, I go outside to find 3 things at the side of the lab:
1. A hole in the wall.
2. A small fire next to it
3. At least 3 dozen zombie corpses near the fire, including a zombie necromancer and 4 fast zombies.

How loud is lightning in this, anyway? That would've killed me if I was outside!

Haha, stupid zombies.  Lightning is very loud; effectively the loudest sound in the game (on par with gasoline pumps exploding and shrieker zombie shrieks).

Damn, its so tempting to drink a mutagen but its simply not worth it without the robust genetic trait. I think i will buy it in my next run.

Worth it if you also have a purifier, to cancel out any bad mutations you get.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: August 16, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »

I think you may have missed the false kill count bug, whales. At any rate, its posted on the fan forums. And if you havn't read through the thread since youre last visit, theres a couple of suggestion discussions.

Laedro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: August 16, 2011, 04:45:39 pm »

I'm sad since i can't hear sounds in headswes windows version or is there sound in it i cause cant hear anything, bwut is there a ay for me to play a version with sound my OS is windows 7 btw ;D
OH MAH GAWD I FOUND A CHAINSAW.
It does'nt have any fuel

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:51 pm »

There are no sounds, aside from the ones rendered in text like "Kerblam!" and "Glass breaking!".
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Laedro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

There are no sounds, aside from the ones rendered in text like "Kerblam!" and "Glass breaking!".
ok :/
It does'nt have any fuel

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: August 16, 2011, 04:49:50 pm »

New to roguelikes in general?

Laedro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: August 16, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »

New to roguelikes in general?
Indeed I am :)
It does'nt have any fuel

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: August 16, 2011, 05:06:34 pm »

Yeah, there are the rare few that have full on sound effects, (like Doom rogue like) and some have at least background music, (like df and rogue survivor) but the vast majority dont since rogue likes generally focus on gameplay rather than art assests. Thats also why many are completely done in ASCII.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:52 pm »

Would it be that hard to put sounds in Cataclysm though? DoomRL does it really effectively; it adds to the atmosphere and helps the player i.e. keeping your ears open could help you detect what was wandering nearby, whether it was a Baron of Hell, Arachnotron, or Pain Elemental.

I mean, hulks aren't exactly stealthy after all.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 777