Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263465 times)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5490 on: August 17, 2011, 10:24:40 am »

With the Cataclysm IRC dying, and no bump in interest expected,

Sounds like a good time for an update.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:09 am »

It wasn't the zombies that finally got me... it was the bear.  He chased me for two blocks until he finally caught up to me and mauled my torso repeatedly at the foot of the locked pharmacy door.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: August 17, 2011, 11:12:22 am »

Where is the A* pathing found in? I'm looking at it as an example for something I need to do in a class, and the fact that its a game I enjoy immensely makes it a better example (especially since it works).

map.cpp, line 982: std::vector<point> map::route.  Note the enum astar_list at the top of this file, used to keep track of the A* status of the points in the map.
Thanks! I was looking in the npcmove.cpp
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: August 17, 2011, 11:30:14 am »

You need to apply a hammer towards it, nailgun won't work.
This is actually really freaking odd - why DOESN'T the nailgun work for this!?

Someone get on that!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: August 17, 2011, 11:35:14 am »

There seems to be a mistake in the Makefile on line 38, there is no dependency generation flag although the rest of the make file seems to expect it. Specifically you probably want to add -MMD -MF $(DEPDIR)/$@.P to the compile flags.
Although personally I'd move the deps location to the object directory and just use -MMD on its own.

You only notice it when you modify a file and the dependent files doesn't rebuild so it's not that important. Just bugged me to get linking errors. (it's also possible your g++ is setup to do this on it's own anyway)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Divine Fait

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:17 pm »

Well, after watching the forums for a while and seeing the interesting comments people were making I decided to give some input myself.

After I loot the town/city I start in for supplies I always head out into the wilderness to find a small isolated town or just a single house along a road and I do pretty well to survive, but the thing I notice is the lack of fresh water without the use of a purifier so, here comes my suggestion, perhaps adding a new tile on the world map in the form of a mountain or hill where there is a chance for a spring to spawn where fresh water can be found. Obviously there will have to be hard to deal with monsters spawn around there so its not too OP (giant mosquitoes perhaps or other swampy creatures)

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps in the development if its a good idea that is.

Also a quick question does food keep longer in fridges thx in advance and thx for the great game Whales :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:56:35 pm by Divine Fait »

Aggressive Manatee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:41 pm »

Whales, I registered this account to eventually share my gameplay experiences and to tell you that this game is amazing and I've been sharing it with anyone and everyone I know I think can handle a roguelike.  Please keep developing this incredible game.  Trust your own judgement with changes to game mechanics!  It has already proven to be very good.  This game you've built is already rife with emergent gameplay and dynamic situations.  With work it shall become a thing of beauty.

Thanks for making this and letting everyone play it and follow your developement.  It has been a joy thus far.

-
majestic cattle of the sea
swimming around on pcp

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: August 17, 2011, 01:15:01 pm »

For all those creating accounts on these forums, remember that there is a fan forum as well. Im not really sure that toady appreciates accounts cluttering up the forums, so if you do make an account just to comment on this game, be sure to put it to use around all of the forums.

Nab McNabbers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:37 pm »

Where is the A* pathing found in? I'm looking at it as an example for something I need to do in a class, and the fact that its a game I enjoy immensely makes it a better example (especially since it works).

Don't make it harder for yourself than necessary, dude. Did Whales implement an A* at all? Might just be some Dijkstra.

By the way: In the optimistic heuristic, there is the key. ;)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: August 17, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

I was thinking: who the hell knows the exact time of the day without a watch? So I made a little mod that adds the wristwatch item. Without it, you only know the phase of the day, like "afternoon", and if you are underground you cannot know the time at all.
I don't know if it's a good idea, if you want to try it to tell your impressions, following this link you find a package with the windows execuable and sources for all platforms. (I also included a little mod that allows the name randomization during the characther creation if you left blank the name field).
More information here

Dude that's great, can't wait to try it out!!!  :D

Aggressive Manatee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: August 17, 2011, 01:59:07 pm »

For all those creating accounts on these forums, remember that there is a fan forum as well. Im not really sure that toady appreciates accounts cluttering up the forums, so if you do make an account just to comment on this game, be sure to put it to use around all of the forums.

I have played other roguelikes, including Crawl, DF and DF Adventure Mode.  I've been a long time lurker and tend to be pretty quiet on forums in general, but will post on here from time to time.

I also have been playing League of Legends for a very long time, might post on that thread as well.  Hope that alleviates your concerns.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: August 17, 2011, 02:05:33 pm »

Alrighty then, great!       Anyways, Im feeling too lazy to walk to the library and get on some real internet in order to post my comic (plus I think that it's closed because of the bratwurst festival in my town) so I guess I'll just post it tomorrow if thats okay with you guys. Also, There is a stick art thread on the fan forums, so feel free to archive your stick art there!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:33 pm »

Added a new scenario story to the forums:
This time, nightmares, horrible actions, loneliness and more.
And if you missed the previous ones...
A not-so-abandoned house - Unstable floor boards, hibernating zombies, and trying to be stealthy
Living on the edge - Repairing things, setting elaborate traps, riding skateboards and getting knocked over

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: August 17, 2011, 07:08:51 pm »

I once died on turn 3 because there was a giant wasp stinging me on the very first turn when I spawned. :(

Me too.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: August 17, 2011, 10:57:28 pm »

Oh man. In addition to loving the game, love the code too. I don't even know how to code and it makes sense to me; there are actually COMMENTS.

The one thing that annoys me is the persistent(Albeit resetting to day 1) world. As difficult as it is to reach, there's the eventuality over many generations of characters that you'll spawn into a map with plenty of notes on it that's been completely ransacked. In reality, this isn't a problem given zombie drops, but it's still enough to make me clear the save folder when I've ended a good run.

Greatly looking forward to NPCs and factions, I might actually be joining a non-B12 forum for once. Kudos to Whales.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 777