Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263283 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #5610 on: August 22, 2011, 09:55:00 am »

Idea for quick temp bus shelters while waiting for vehicles.

Make rare, immobile 20 long 5 wide blocks in the road, with a door near the front on one side, and at the far back, with alternating "chair" squares that are essentially counters. One could do this with cars too. Let me see if I can type out what it would look like.

Code: [Select]
#####
#   +
#= =#
#   #
#= =#
#   #
#= =#
#   #
#= =#
#   #
##+##
Something like that for the bus, and
Code: [Select]
###
+ +
###
#[#
#+#
For a car. The Cabinet/door at the bottom would represent the trunk, and could have random stuff in it. Both would be a "special" encounter like the pile of dead bodies or the hippie catchers.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: August 22, 2011, 10:52:08 am »

Idea for quick temp bus shelters while waiting for vehicles.

Nobody ever reads what I write...
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

RumblingNoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: August 22, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »

Damn, how do you mask your scent? I tried to mask it with the burning meat in front of the door & windows trick and slept in the hallway with four closed doors and no line of sight nor sound, but a zombie necromancer still found me through the smoke and the closed door.

This is a forum post (text). All Craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality. It is encrusted with typos, decorated with personal insults and (funny) pictures and encircled with flaming. It is made from text. This post menaces with dry humor and poor writing. On the post is an image of smellbad the sweaty sock in color.
On the post is a personal opinion of RumblingNoise the dwarf in black text. The dwarf is cursing. The artwork relates to the crafting of a post in 20XX.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: August 22, 2011, 02:06:39 pm »

Damn, how do you mask your scent? I tried to mask it with the burning meat in front of the door & windows trick and slept in the hallway with four closed doors and no line of sight nor sound, but a zombie necromancer still found me through the smoke and the closed door.

Smoke & fire will only mask your scent up to one tile away, so you're still generating scent inside the house.  If zombies have no clue where you are, they still stumble around randomly; it's entirely possible that the necromancer just happened to find its way inside the house, and from there picked up your scent.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

RumblingNoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: August 22, 2011, 02:44:19 pm »

Smoke & fire will only mask your scent up to one tile away, so you're still generating scent inside the house.  If zombies have no clue where you are, they still stumble around randomly; it's entirely possible that the necromancer just happened to find its way inside the house, and from there picked up your scent.
Looks like i got it working on a new house on the nw side of the town, i guess it was just a random zombie stumbling about due to the high density of zombies in the area afterall.
This is a forum post (text). All Craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality. It is encrusted with typos, decorated with personal insults and (funny) pictures and encircled with flaming. It is made from text. This post menaces with dry humor and poor writing. On the post is an image of smellbad the sweaty sock in color.
On the post is a personal opinion of RumblingNoise the dwarf in black text. The dwarf is cursing. The artwork relates to the crafting of a post in 20XX.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: August 22, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »

Lol when i suggested bus as safehouses/buildings we can enter, i didn't mean functioning ones. I meant bus that are crippled or on the side and broken

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: August 22, 2011, 05:54:14 pm »

Cars littering the roads and highways would add a ton of flavor to the game, and obstacles for when running from zombies.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: August 22, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »

Hi everyone, I just made a Virtual Appliance with Linux (Tiny Core / Micro Core) and Cataclysm and managed to get the download to under 40 mb. For those who want to try cataclysm "classic" instead of the Windows version but don't want/know how to create their own Linux box ;)

They're available here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31916959/microcore.ova

The un-appliance'd VBox version is here, just in case:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31916959/microcore.7z

How to use:
1) Download and install Oracle VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)
2) Import the appliance (File>Import)
3) Run

Now you're in linux!
To play cataclysm, do this:

(the first time)
cd cataclysm
make
./cataclysm

(after that)
cd cataclysm
./cataclysm

(if you want to update and play the latest version)
cd cataclysm
git pull
make clean
make
./cataclysm

(I think I included the executable file so you may not need to do "make" the first time you run)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: August 22, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »

These are all great ideas. I particularly like the recurring zombie idea. Maybe it could be like COQs evil twin in the sense that no matter how many time you kill it, it will keep coming back.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: August 22, 2011, 07:34:20 pm »

Besides cars, I think it'd be awesome if the game generated with bodies littering the streets, simulating the whole "apocalypse, everyone dies" thing. 

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: August 22, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »

Err. . .go check out the back story in the labs. . . .

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: August 22, 2011, 07:59:17 pm »

Or check back a bit for Deon and I's big spoilery conversation.
*Hugs*

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5622 on: August 22, 2011, 08:49:43 pm »

oly crap, I just punched a hulk to death!

Alright world, bring it on.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5623 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:26 pm »

oly crap, I just punched a hulk to death!

Alright world, bring it on.
You have been killed by a turret.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:44 pm »

What button reveals the whole map? I need to do some experiments.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 777