Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263141 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6000 on: September 06, 2011, 11:03:22 pm »

I think I've noticed another bug with inventory count, but it's probably known: Sometimes, trying to pick up an item will fail because I have too many, but then trying to pick up another item will work, or dropping an item won't help. Something's inconsistent there.

Also, Whales: You said it takes place in rural New England? I know for a fact that it can't be Rhode Island, because there aren't any Dunkin Donuts. Around here, I swear there's one per acre on average. Speaking of which, fast food joints, restaurants, and similar places would be nice, but I imagine there are lots of such building ideas floating around.

Also: I LOVE the heat dissipation bionic upgrade. I ran around in a gasoline fire (after all the pumps exploded) until the fire died, and I was fine, and so was my clothing! Speaking of clothing, that character is up to five fanny packs, but I swear utility vests don't last long on him.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: September 06, 2011, 11:11:53 pm »

Also, Whales: You said it takes place in rural New England? I know for a fact that it can't be Rhode Island, because there aren't any Dunkin Donuts. Around here, I swear there's one per acre on average. Speaking of which, fast food joints, restaurants, and similar places would be nice, but I imagine there are lots of such building ideas floating around.

DD was in the game until I got sued for unlicensed use of trademark.  And yeah, restaurants are definitely planned.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: September 07, 2011, 12:14:47 am »

You could have called it a coffee/donut shop. :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: September 07, 2011, 06:26:13 am »

Yeah, a generic coffee shop could have been implemented. In other news, I have downloaded virtual box, and I think that I may try my hand at modding. Probably I will add a couple of new building types, like a department store and the coffee shop. Also, more sporting goods.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: September 07, 2011, 09:06:23 am »

G-Flex, next you'll be suggesting he adds a Dell's Lemonade or something! It's supposer to be generic New England! And Tim Horton's is better anyways. ;)

Though some true coast and islands and stuff would be pretty cool.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: September 07, 2011, 09:19:37 am »

I was trying to get the Butcher command to work with any nearby corpse, but I think there needs to be some changes in the way activities work. There's no way to specify the X or Y location of an item you're working on, only some arbitrary "index" value that selects which of the objects in the tile the player is currently standing on is getting butchered... so while I could loop thru all nearby squares in the command itself, the actual Perform Activity rule won't be executed in the target square.

/codespeak off

Actually, activities would probably benefit from using the text_hash struct declared in texthash.h.  This would allow each activity to have its own arbitary values, defined as the activity starts, instead of just a single, multi-purpose int.  Feels cleaner than cluttering the activity struct with a bunch of data that wouldn't even be used for most activities.

That sounds like a great idea. That's why this "index" variable seemed out of place to me, apparently only the Butchering activity ever uses it.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: September 07, 2011, 10:12:55 am »

It's actually also used in reloading, to know which ammo to use, and in reading to know what book you're reading.  But yeah, very limited.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:47 pm »

The Alien Dimension, a design suggestion by some guy I dunno.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: September 07, 2011, 01:56:50 pm »

Anyone know of a DL for the windows version that isn't the one on github? Because that is currently down because their hosting service(or something) is apparently about to run out, and the last chance to DL is the 8th.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: September 07, 2011, 02:09:23 pm »

This seems to be the most recent compiled windows version I can see: https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm/downloads#download_123649
Btw, the link to the supposedly pre-compiled windows version now leads to un-compiled files.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: September 07, 2011, 02:10:53 pm »

That's funny, I can get the compiled version just fine. I can reupload it somewhere if anyone needs it though.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: September 07, 2011, 02:12:00 pm »

You have to click on "downloads". I got that version just fine that way.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: September 07, 2011, 02:15:37 pm »

Thanks for the link, maybe this version won't be buggy as shit.  :D

Edit: Oooh, the instant fast travel from the map is gone, maybe it'll be a challenge avoiding zeds now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:19:44 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: September 07, 2011, 02:29:53 pm »

G-Flex, next you'll be suggesting he adds a Dell's Lemonade or something! It's supposer to be generic New England! And Tim Horton's is better anyways. ;)

Though some true coast and islands and stuff would be pretty cool.

Hey, I was just joking around. We all know that if it's Massachusetts there should be Honey Dew Donuts, and if it's New Hampshire or Vermont there wouldn't be commercial centers.

Edit: Oooh, the instant fast travel from the map is gone, maybe it'll be a challenge avoiding zeds now.

One thing to do to avoid tougher/numerous zombies is to stick to the outskirts of town (residential zones nowhere near the town center/commercial area) as much as you can. It really helps if you start out in a house in such a location. Also, if you find a shovel, get it and dig a trench around your house, because pits are damn near cheating... especially since pits take barely any time to dig, so you can use it in combat to prevent approach creatures reaching you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: September 07, 2011, 02:36:01 pm »

It's been a while since I updated my version.

The fast travel map is gone?  :o

I am so dead. Gone are the days of just wussing out of fights... :'(

But I am willing to exchange exploitable mechanics for awesome gameplay additions :))
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 777