Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263593 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6165 on: September 16, 2011, 04:28:28 am »

Minor quibbles:

• In the typo category: Part of the source mentions "adamantite claws". Aside from the fact that it's rather comic-bookish (obviously), it should really be "adamantine". "Adamantite" implies that it's a stone/rock, not a metal. "Veggy" should probably be "Veggie" (I've never seen the former in my life, but maybe it's an accepted alternative or something). "Beef jerky" should probably just be "jerky" since you can make it out of any kind of meat. Also, flu medication is listed in another part of the code as being "antihistamines". Antihistamines are not flu medication, they're allergy medication, and won't help you with flu symptoms at all (unless they're due to allergies, obviously). Dayquil, in fact, doesn't have antihistamines in it at all (it's a decongestant, cough suppressant, and has acetaminophen in it), although Nyquil probably does. For that matter, it's pretty weird how all damaged "veggy"/"flesh" material goods are called "partially eaten" no matter why they're damaged or what they are.
  • For something requiring raw materials and significant skill, chitinous items kind of suck. The helmet isn't really good for anyone, because it encumbers your head, mouth, and eyes (why does it encumber your eyes? How can it even cover them?) by an amount significantly greater than any other equipment, meaning that ranged combat is screwed up a fair bit and so is running speed. It's like the riot helmet, except worse; even motorcycle helmets are better. The armor isn't much better: On the plus side, it's the only real way to get armor for your legs, but on the other hand, it's significantly encumbering (you're basically better off with kevlar, which can actually be repaired) and doesn't give you any pants-area storage, nor does it provide environmental resistance. I would at least reduce the encumbrance (if it's supposed to be "light and durable", and probably flexible, why so encumbering?) and remove the eye coverage on the helmet.

I didn't want to ask but is there a guide on how to easily port cataclysm to windows?
I want to be able to port it as soon as the new version is available, and if it requires something i can't do maybe it will help somebody else.

Somebody else like the guy who already does it? Links are in the first post. I would like to know how to compile his port myself, though, so I can tool around with it and see what I can do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: September 16, 2011, 04:41:35 am »

Check the forums, Function Zero wrote a guide for compiling in windows.
Might be linked in the OP too.
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: September 16, 2011, 08:11:34 am »

Minor quibbles:

• In the typo category: Part of the source mentions "adamantite claws". Aside from the fact that it's rather comic-bookish (obviously), it should really be "adamantine". "Adamantite" implies that it's a stone/rock, not a metal. "Veggy" should probably be "Veggie" (I've never seen the former in my life, but maybe it's an accepted alternative or something). "Beef jerky" should probably just be "jerky" since you can make it out of any kind of meat. Also, flu medication is listed in another part of the code as being "antihistamines". Antihistamines are not flu medication, they're allergy medication, and won't help you with flu symptoms at all (unless they're due to allergies, obviously). Dayquil, in fact, doesn't have antihistamines in it at all (it's a decongestant, cough suppressant, and has acetaminophen in it), although Nyquil probably does. For that matter, it's pretty weird how all damaged "veggy"/"flesh" material goods are called "partially eaten" no matter why they're damaged or what they are.
  • For something requiring raw materials and significant skill, chitinous items kind of suck. The helmet isn't really good for anyone, because it encumbers your head, mouth, and eyes (why does it encumber your eyes? How can it even cover them?) by an amount significantly greater than any other equipment, meaning that ranged combat is screwed up a fair bit and so is running speed. It's like the riot helmet, except worse; even motorcycle helmets are better. The armor isn't much better: On the plus side, it's the only real way to get armor for your legs, but on the other hand, it's significantly encumbering (you're basically better off with kevlar, which can actually be repaired) and doesn't give you any pants-area storage, nor does it provide environmental resistance. I would at least reduce the encumbrance (if it's supposed to be "light and durable", and probably flexible, why so encumbering?) and remove the eye coverage on the helmet.

I didn't want to ask but is there a guide on how to easily port cataclysm to windows?
I want to be able to port it as soon as the new version is available, and if it requires something i can't do maybe it will help somebody else.

Somebody else like the guy who already does it? Links are in the first post. I would like to know how to compile his port myself, though, so I can tool around with it and see what I can do.

Those aren't typos, they're pedantry :P  Adamant, adamantite, adamantium, etc. are fictional/non-exact terms, used variously to describe metals, ores, and crystals.  "Adamantite" was chosen by American Biologic Inc. (a subsidiary of Apple) in 2066 as a branding term for a new product in its "Bionic Fury" line, both for its recognizability and its appeal to comic book nerds.  And yes, it's comic book-y, which is wholly appropriate for the game as it stands.  It is a video game about zombies and aliens from another dimension.  I think we have been over this.

Not sure where flu meds are referred to as antihistamines.  Grep turned up nothing when searching for "antihi".

Chitinous helmets could use a boost, huh?  I'll perk up their stats a bit.  They are intended to cover the eyes, with a small slit for seeing through.  The helmet's highly encumbering because it provides high levels of coverage.  The armor is so encumbering because it's un-processed chunks of animal carcass sewn together.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: September 16, 2011, 08:14:39 am »

Might want to do something for the armor bionics too, some innate armor isn't worth the increased encumbrance.

Then again, that's the case with the current "Dodge freaking everything" skill.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: September 16, 2011, 08:53:00 am »

Check the forums, FunctionZero wrote a guide for compiling in windows.
Might be linked in the OP too.
Shit, I keep forgetting to move it to the new forums. Better to just do it now.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: September 16, 2011, 09:28:31 am »

I've had my first encounter with landmines. I apparently have good perception because I can see them. Maybe not ALL of them, but still.

I was going to go grab one to see what it was. Thankfully, a nearby squirrel sacrificed his life valiantly to show me my error.

Now to figure out how to disarm them...
Nothing important here, move along.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:51 am »

"e"xamine the tile it's on while standing next to it.

Keep in mind you'll need to pass a check (Traps+Dex or maybe just Trap skill?) or the thing will blow up in your face.

As for the accidentally stepping on it part, the game will ask you if you *really* want to move to a trapped tile; provided the trap is already revealed.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: September 16, 2011, 09:48:02 am »

I did examine it, it just said it was a mound of dirt. I guess I don't even have the skill to set it off.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: September 16, 2011, 09:51:27 am »

Oh, mines spawned via random event on certain types of terrain are shown as dirt mounds if you have enough perception. The mounds will remain even though the mine is gone.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: September 16, 2011, 10:00:41 am »

Actually, it says it's diggable. Apparently they're actually buried.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:45 am »

Hm, I never tried actually burying mines. Zombies walk over them covered or not.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:12 am »

They seem to be more visible buried. Of course, the fact that they're just mounds of dirt might trick someone into thinking something cool's buried there.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: September 16, 2011, 10:14:53 am »

Maybe we SHOULD be able to bury stashes to protect them (somewhat) from acid rain and thieving NPCs(when they're fixed.)

Adding some other buried things via random event would be nice too, from buried survivor stashes, buried zombies (still alive), a massive impromptu burial of corpses killed via military death purification squads, traps, hidden entrances, etc.

Edit: Two requests and a suggestion:

1. Allow the player to switch to fists without having to drop whatever is wielded and pick it back up; which tends to put it back in the hand slot if it is even remotely usable as a weapon.
2. Allow the player to assign two up to two "ready" items that can be switched with the press of a single button.
3. Once item stacking comes this shouldn't be too much of a problem but, perhaps you could switch the letter designation of items into number designations once they're equipped? I don't see a problem unless people like wearing 10+ articles of clothing, though in that case it could switch back to letter designations once all available numbers are taken.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:39:02 am by Blaze »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: September 16, 2011, 10:35:35 am »

Maybe we SHOULD be able to bury stashes to protect them (somewhat) from acid rain and thieving NPCs(when they're fixed.)

Adding some other buried things via random event would be nice too, from buried survivor stashes, buried zombies (still alive), a massive impromptu burial of corpses killed via military death purification squads, traps, hidden entrances, etc.
I agree. Other than the fact that a mound of dirt is visible, it would be a cool feature. Surround the buried chest with buried land mines however...

They seem to be more visible buried. Of course, the fact that they're just mounds of dirt might trick someone into thinking something cool's buried there.
MUST... TRICK... MOSQUITOES...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: September 16, 2011, 10:37:22 am »

Are giant worms dangerous? One just popped up right next to me out of the ground.

Edit: Nevermind, it hit a landmine and seems to have stopped chasing me. It has also managed to reveal that the landmines are not in fact under the mounds of dirt. I am now standing in the middle of a minefield.

Edit edit: I have managed to piss off a giant wasp. It has revealed to me a lot. Like the fact that this seems to be a giant insect sanctuary from hell. With landmines.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:42:26 am by TheBronzePickle »
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 777