Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260392 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6315 on: September 20, 2011, 11:44:44 pm »

I'd say the best way for roofs might be the way Unreal World does it.
Basically, each floor tile cam be built near a wall tile or 2 other floor tiles. And only cardinal directions count, you can't support roofs diagonally.

This'd be quite easy, and it'd be quite realistic. So if you have a row of walls, you could make one tile of overlook from it, and if you onlu have half of a room, you can still fill it with floor.

So yeah, simple rules. A floor needs 2 other floors or a wall, diagonals don't count.

I can explain better once I'm back home, it's too much trouble writing on a phone, heh.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: September 20, 2011, 11:52:39 pm »

By wilderness crafting I meant being able to start from the ground up without anything from the city. Things like basic tools, cooking, string for traps, water containers, and so on are almost essential but you can't make them without a trip to the city.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6317 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:25 pm »

Being able to cook on a fire would be an awesome addition.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:40 am »

CRASH BUG

Attempting to use ('a'pply) a sewing kit to a non-existent item letter in your inventory will cause the game to crash. In fact, pressing any key OTHER then a letter in your inventory (even if that item gives a "you can't use the sewing kit on this!" response) will cause the game to crash while using a sewing kit.

By wilderness crafting I meant being able to start from the ground up without anything from the city. Things like basic tools, cooking, string for traps, water containers, and so on are almost essential but you can't make them without a trip to the city.
It would be pretty nice/hilarious if you could just use a few stones and heavy sticks, and while not necessarilly turn yourself into a cyborg (box of scraps inna cave, sks inna woods, etc) you should at least be able to build a wooden shack and survive indefinitely off the land around you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:12:26 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:54 am »

CRASH BUG

Attempting to use ('a'pply) a sewing kit to a non-existent item letter in your inventory will cause the game to crash. In fact, pressing any key OTHER then a letter in your inventory (even if that item gives a "you can't use the sewing kit on this!" response) will cause the game to crash while using a sewing kit.
Same issue with scissors.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: September 21, 2011, 04:16:33 am »

Changing windows to require an "empty window frame" means we can't repane windows once  they break, an option to remove glass from broken windows to change them back to empty frames would be pretty nice though.
Also, an option to either completely destroy window/doorframes or just replace them with walls would be pretty hot too.

(I'll be adding this to my version anyway, just decided to suggest it too)
*Hugs*

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: September 21, 2011, 09:17:01 am »

I think I had yet another suggestion ignored. Plywood board: could lessen construction costs by making a section of wall buildable using a plywood sheet and 3 planks. (so that a wall would be essentially 2 plywood sheets reinforced by planks). They could only be found in hardware stores, or possibly crafted with sufficently high skill.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: September 21, 2011, 09:27:30 am »

I think I had yet another suggestion ignored. Plywood board: could lessen construction costs by making a section of wall buildable using a plywood sheet and 3 planks. (so that a wall would be essentially 2 plywood sheets reinforced by planks). They could only be found in hardware stores, or possibly crafted with sufficently high skill.

Not ignored, just submitted to my brainbox for consideration :)  I like the idea, but I think it'd have to be slightly higher cost, or perhaps the wall would be "plywood wall" instead of wood wall--easier to smash down.

I'm also adding in lumberjackery; in a bit you'll be able to chop down a tree to turn it into a log, and then slice up the log to turn it into log sections; log sections can be used to craft log wall, or further processed into 2x4s.

Changing windows to require an "empty window frame" means we can't repane windows once  they break, an option to remove glass from broken windows to change them back to empty frames would be pretty nice though.
Also, an option to either completely destroy window/doorframes or just replace them with walls would be pretty hot too.

Yeah, clearing the broken glass would be nice.  Maybe require pliers or something?  I don't want it to be just another level of smashing or whatever; I want to keep the penalty for traversing windows instead of a door fairly high.

Well... I don't see the player being able to do anything very significant with no goods or tools whatsoever.  I mean, I guess making twine might be a possibility, if I added in vines or something to the forests.  But I don't see collection of a few items from the city as a major obstacle to wilderness living; the idea is to require the player to enter dangerous territory, at elast once in a while!

I'd say the best way for roofs might be the way Unreal World does it.
Basically, each floor tile cam be built near a wall tile or 2 other floor tiles. And only cardinal directions count, you can't support roofs diagonally.

This'd be quite easy, and it'd be quite realistic. So if you have a row of walls, you could make one tile of overlook from it, and if you onlu have half of a room, you can still fill it with floor.

So yeah, simple rules. A floor needs 2 other floors or a wall, diagonals don't count.

I can explain better once I'm back home, it's too much trouble writing on a phone, heh.

No, I get what you're saying, and I can see it working, though I might expand it to TWO walls and/or floor tiles adjacent.  Getting a roof to overhang with one point of support doesn't make too much sense to me.

I'm aware of the crashes / mysterious behaviors that involve using any item that's applied to another item.  I know exactly what the issue is, but it's a doozy to fix sadly.  I'll be doing it ASAP.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:34 am »

Yeah, clearing the broken glass would be nice.  Maybe require pliers or something?  I don't want it to be just another level of smashing or whatever; I want to keep the penalty for traversing windows instead of a door fairly high.
I'd personally keep it simple, just make it a construction stage requiring a rag or something where you spend 10 minutes or so picking glass out, it's a disadvantage to do this in normal play because A) It takes time, something you don't have with zombies breathing down your neck, and B) You're making it easier for zombies to get in as well, so I can't see people using it on every window they break.

Also, a question.
Why do shallow pits have a higher movement cost than deep pits?
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: September 21, 2011, 10:40:07 am »

Also, a question.
Why do shallow pits have a higher movement cost than deep pits?

Cause I typoed or something, fixed, thanks. :)

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: September 21, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »

It's cool that it's turning into a minecraft based roguelike but what's the point on building an entire house on the city where you find houses everywhere? (Of course, the MAIN survival idea is reinforcing the building you find, but i'm asking about building houses from scrap) and Does finishing a building makes it appear in the WorldMap?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6326 on: September 21, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

not right now.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: September 21, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »

Construction is mainly in to make wilderness survival a viable option without acid rain destroying you, and to rebuild smashed doors and windows.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: September 21, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »

Construction is mainly in to make wilderness survival a viable option without acid rain destroying you, and to rebuild smashed doors and windows.

This, and also to expand the "you can do anything" open-endedness of roguelike gameplay.  Personally, I do not see the point in construction, outside of occasionally wanting to have wilderness fort.  But there's a lot of things in Cataclysm which I initially didn't recognize as a source of fun gameplay or as a strong strategy.  I'm hoping that construction will grow to be one of those things.

Plus, enough people here clamored for construction, and I trust you guys :)

Zoodle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: September 21, 2011, 07:01:34 pm »

Plus, enough people here clamored for construction, and I trust you guys :)

I just wanted to post in here to tell you that I love you.

You are my hero.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 777