Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263036 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6345 on: September 22, 2011, 07:30:22 am »

Since the construction update has started, I suppose a few questions are in order, as well as some suggestions.

What are the walls currently made out of? When smashed with a jackhammer, you get 2x4's and rock. Does that mean stone, brick, sheetrock, or plaster and lathe?

Are there any plans for differences between interior and exterior walls? A typical interior wall could be dismantled with a hammer, a crowbar, and some wirecutters to yield maybe 3-5 2x4's, depending on how much a square represents. It would be smashable, but sturdier then a door. Exterior walls would be harder, perhaps impossible to smash if they are cinderblock or brick, though building such would be a pain.

Perhaps you should take a page out of Space Station 13. Pretty much the entire station can be torn down and rebuilt given the right tools and materials. I'm not saying it should be easy, but perhaps for dismantling walls it could take between x through x+y minutes, with x being a minimum and y getting lower based on skill in carpentry, for a couple of steps, such as "Hammer through sheetrock", "cut wiring", "Crowbar 2x4".

Given Wha;es statements that the game is (loosely) based on rurarl New England. Exterior walls really arn't that different from interior around here. You probably have a set of double studs, and some insulation...but that's not a big deal as far as the game goes. Stone or brick is exceedingly rare.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: September 22, 2011, 07:59:53 am »

Well I understand what you're getting at; you'd think that the wilderness is safer than cities, but when it comes right down to it, wilderness mobs greatly overpower zombies BY LEAGUES.

Triffids have natural armor and are impossible to headshot. Fungaloids are similar but multiply and are almost impossible to melee unscathed due to their spore attack. Wolves move as fast (if not faster) than fast zombies, get multiple attacks per turn, and also come in packs. Wilderness mobs drop nothing useful that can't be found elsewhere (fur is only useful for fur clothing, which has no effect since temperature was disabled). Compare to cities where even the weakest zombie has a chance of dropping bullets.

Except that none of those, except wolves to some degree, are "wilderness mobs."  They're randomly placed on the map, and your chances of seeing them in a city are as good as your chances of seeing them elsewhere.  The majority of the wilderness has NO monsters whatsoever, save for the odd wildlife, which shows up in numbers much smaller than the zombies.

Sure we have the ability to build; provided you aren't driven away by wilderness mobs, melted by acid rain, and actually have the nails to make the walls away from the city, but then what? Queen triffids will tear down your walls by walking into them, and fungaloids can spawn infinitely while you're sleeping inside, forcing you to choose between starvation and being ripped apart. Not to mention you'll still need food and water (Which is limited to rivers and the randomly spawned flood event) that'll force you to leave your (relatively) safehouse.

Again, there's no guarantee that triffids or fungaloids will be encountered in the wilderness; if you don't see any while you're building your shelter, you'll probably never see any in that location.  And yes, the need for food and water is meant to make living off the land difficult compared to living off the grocery store.

To top it off, there is NOTHING worthwhile in the wilderness. Bee/Wasp stings are now nerfed, royal jelly is the only cure for spores - which ONLY come from fungaloids which don't appear in cities - entering a slime pit without guns is suicidal with the dodge nerf (Not to mention they offer almost nothing worthwhile), Radio towers are useless, nukes are FUN but otherwise useless, by the time you're stong enough to face ants nearly all their food will have spoiled, and the list goes on. When faced by mobs in the wilderness you have two viable options for ranged weaponry, throwing (Which will be nerfed) and crossbows (Which require a rubber hose to make unless you take one from a trap field event). You also have NO way to heal yourself since bandages require superglue, which needs a hotplate even if you're fortunate enough to find ant eggs. God forbid when it's night and you can't see at all.

So the wilderness is nearly impossible to traverse, gives nothing worthwhile, and takes up 95% of the map.

I'm sure you have plans for the wilderness, but this is how it is now.

And this is how it's intended to be.  Wilderness will probably receive a bunch more features in the future, but it is the "traveling area," meant to be experienced while moving from point A to point B, with minor distractions along the way for the player to investigate if they're interested.  Spending the night in the wilderness is supposed to be relatively scary, and finding a safe place before sundown is meant to be a repeated major drive.

And again, fungaloids DO show up inside cities.  Wilderness is the ONLY part of the map where it's possible to have no monster spawns outside of wild animals, which appear everywhere, cities included.  And 95% of the map is an exaggeration; it's closer to 50-60%.

As for challenge, shouldn't the challenge be in surviving instead of going out and looking for trouble? If I wanted a real challenge I could always try a "No-Melee" run or some other hare-brained self-limit.

Actually, I've stated before that it's my intention to make the difficulty of the game "player-selected" to a degree, based on what areas they willingly explore.  This concept is in its infancy and doesn't work out as much as I'd like, but I'm in favor of it.

Since the construction update has started, I suppose a few questions are in order, as well as some suggestions.

What are the walls currently made out of? When smashed with a jackhammer, you get 2x4's and rock. Does that mean stone, brick, sheetrock, or plaster and lathe?

Are there any plans for differences between interior and exterior walls? A typical interior wall could be dismantled with a hammer, a crowbar, and some wirecutters to yield maybe 3-5 2x4's, depending on how much a square represents. It would be smashable, but sturdier then a door. Exterior walls would be harder, perhaps impossible to smash if they are cinderblock or brick, though building such would be a pain.

Perhaps you should take a page out of Space Station 13. Pretty much the entire station can be torn down and rebuilt given the right tools and materials. I'm not saying it should be easy, but perhaps for dismantling walls it could take between x through x+y minutes, with x being a minimum and y getting lower based on skill in carpentry, for a couple of steps, such as "Hammer through sheetrock", "cut wiring", "Crowbar 2x4".

They're made of brick or stone or reinforced wood or something.   :D  Dismantling interior walls is a good idea; of course, I'd have to go back through all my building code and distinguish between interior and exterior walls, and that's more trouble than it's worth to me right now.

Plus, enough people here clamored for construction, and I trust you guys :)

Well we are fortress builders, kinda expect construction in games.

That said I actually think holing up makes the game less fun. It was already very easy to build safe houses where you can't be touched (especially in basement having houses) and in fact other than the one time lightning managed to set fire to my house so I woke up in a burning, smoky inferno having half my goodies melted and needing to run, I've found the whole moving around the world without building to be much more enjoyable.

I'm not saying that addition of construction is at all a negative thing, and I've love to have more because it's always nice to have wilderness forts to play with, but just that it's more fun to generally not bother with it.

I agree!  And since my next major project will be NPCs, and hopefully workable missions, the player will often find themself under time or other constraints, and simply holing up for some time won't be a particularly useful option.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: September 22, 2011, 08:17:37 am »

So wilderness won't be much more than wilderness, baww, oh well. Still hoping for survival crafts though, random spawns notwithstanding, personal experience has shown that I meet the more dangerous mobs more often outside of the city than inside it. Obviously nothing like repeating crossbows and whatnot, but like you said, twine, rope, torches, simple kinetic weapons like bows, and some basic means of survival.

So Triffids/Fungaloids have cell spawns like zombies do? If so, do zombies have higher priority than other nearby cells? I've never had triffid/fungaloid spawns inside cities except in the latest version, where I had several Queen Triffid encounters within a short period of time; though I chalked it up as a glitch.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:33:38 am by Blaze »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: September 22, 2011, 08:33:18 am »

So wilderness won't be much more than wilderness, baww, oh well. Still hoping for survival crafts though, random spawns notwithstanding, you're far more likely to meet with the far more dangerous mobs outside of the city than inside it. Obviously nothing like repeating crossbows and whatnot, but like you said, twine, rope, torches, simple kinetic weapons like bows, and some basic means of survival.

So Triffids/Fungaloids have cell spawns like zombies do? If so, do zombies have higher priority than other nearby cells? I've never had triffid/fungaloid spawns inside cities except in the latest version, where I had several Queen Triffid encounters within a short period of time; though I chalked it up as a glitch.

Yup, for about a year now the placement for giant worms, triffids, and fungaloids has literally been "an area of radius 20-50 centered on any random point on the map."  Zombies don't have higher priority; both will spawn.  And several triffid queens is not necessarily a glitch; could just be rotten luck!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: September 22, 2011, 12:00:06 pm »

Random suggestion.

Superstores.

Basicaly 2x2, 2x3, or 3x3 massive stores, ranging from home depots to BJs to walmarts to basically any other large store. I'm sure even rural New England has some of them, and would provide an interesting choice. Do you raid the store, given limited egress options to get out of them, but the chance of large amounts of plunder?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: September 22, 2011, 01:02:36 pm »

Random suggestion.

Superstores.

Basicaly 2x2, 2x3, or 3x3 massive stores, ranging from home depots to BJs to walmarts to basically any other large store. I'm sure even rural New England has some of them, and would provide an interesting choice. Do you raid the store, given limited egress options to get out of them, but the chance of large amounts of plunder?

Wrong continent. You'd be in the US if you put a supermarket in the picture below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: September 22, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »

If superstores are added, then shopping carts must be added too, so we can load up the shopping cart and drag it behind us.

I'm already sad at all the loot I have to leave behind, and most my deaths are because I'm carrying too goddamn much stuff. I don't need even more loot with no new way to carry it!

Otherwise I think it's a good idea. The lack of a giant walmart-type store is kind of noticeable and annoying.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6352 on: September 22, 2011, 01:19:31 pm »

New england is in america! It's the north east coast! We've been over this repeatedly.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: September 22, 2011, 01:34:17 pm »

Yeah, I've been planning on adding malls, supermarkets, Walmarts, and what-have-you for some time now.  I'll start working on it!

And yeah, maybe now's the time to finally add in pushable furniture (including things like shopping carts).

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6354 on: September 22, 2011, 01:38:10 pm »

I had an idea for that, actually. In my engine, I'm implementing bodies and controllers as separate objects, and had the idea of implementing vehicles as bodies.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: September 22, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »

A couple quick thoughts after playing the new version a bit

1. Gun stores should have a higher chance of stocking ammo for guns they have. I get you probably didn't want people to just hit up a gun store and be totally set, but I just went to one that had like 7 ak-47's and 0 ammo for them, as well a ton of different types of pistols... and ammo for only 1 of those pistols. On the other hand, they had TONS of shotgun shells but not a single shotgun. Some sanity would be nice.

2. Horder is fun, but there should be some cap on the -happy. I went from starting clothes to fully kitted out (started right next to a clothing store) and had like -80 morale or something. Then again, it made me go on a mad rush to grab EVERYTHING in sight, so I guess it's at least somewhat working as intended.

3. Fast reader is incredibly good for 1 point. I don't know if it should be nerfed or made more expensive or left alone, but it's *much* better then I expected it to be for the price.

4. A good memory bonus trait would be nice. We've got forgetful that makes skills erode faster, good memory would make them not erode at all (or maybe erode very very slowly). It should probably be fairly expensive, though.

5. Trigger happy is 100% free points for a melee-based (or pistol/rifle/shotgun based) char. Not really sure what to do about it, maybe rework it so it just makes you randomly attack the last target 3 - 4 times in a row with no other actions allowed, then rename it poor impulse control or something?

6. Fast learner is bugged, I think. It's supposed to be 50% skill comprehension bonus but, with 1 intelligence it raises it from 6% to 53%, 8 intelligence it only boosts it from 80% to 90%, with 11 intelligence it actually lowers it from 114% to 107%. This really does not seem correct.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: September 22, 2011, 02:31:47 pm »

1. Gun stores should have a higher chance of stocking ammo for guns they have. I get you probably didn't want people to just hit up a gun store and be totally set, but I just went to one that had like 7 ak-47's and 0 ammo for them, as well a ton of different types of pistols... and ammo for only 1 of those pistols. On the other hand, they had TONS of shotgun shells but not a single shotgun. Some sanity would be nice.

I don't know, this actually seems reasonable to me. Assumedly someone has already ransacked the store. It makes sense that the only stuff left would be things that they couldn't use. So you'd have extra guns with no ammo for them, and the only ammo left would be stuff they couldn't stuff into their pockets or didn't fit guns they actually had.

So maybe a "little" more reasonable about it, but it's not like the gun store would likely have much left. After all, you can't be the first person to think "Zombies! Need guns!"
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: September 22, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »

Yeah, I've been planning on adding malls, supermarkets, Walmarts, and what-have-you for some time now.  I'll start working on it!

And yeah, maybe now's the time to finally add in pushable furniture (including things like shopping carts).

Neat! Large stores and malls and such would add some interesting large indoor environments to deal with. Medium-sized stores would be nice too (like normal stores that are at least larger than houses, say 2x2).

I don't think this is a problem unique to gun stores. A lot of stores and houses don't have things that you might assume are guaranteed/common there, like hardware stores having nails/hammers, or houses having flashlights.

3. Fast reader is incredibly good for 1 point. I don't know if it should be nerfed or made more expensive or left alone, but it's *much* better then I expected it to be for the price.

I would say that reading in general is too good. Reading is essentially free skill points, and anything that makes that easier is going to be pretty nice.

4. A good memory bonus trait would be nice. We've got forgetful that makes skills erode faster, good memory would make them not erode at all (or maybe erode very very slowly). It should probably be fairly expensive, though.

A lot of new traits would be nice, as there are a lot of game mechanics basically untouched by them. I want to see traits that affect encumbrance. :P

5. Trigger happy is 100% free points for a melee-based (or pistol/rifle/shotgun based) char. Not really sure what to do about it, maybe rework it so it just makes you randomly attack the last target 3 - 4 times in a row with no other actions allowed, then rename it poor impulse control or something?

Agreed, it's a very easy trait to use for minmaxing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:18 pm »

I would say that reading in general is too good. Reading is essentially free skill points, and anything that makes that easier is going to be pretty nice.
I see it as 50/50. Yes, you can read much faster, but you are still limited by what you can find. In general, it doesn't matter too much if you get through a book in 10 minutes or an hour. Assuming you aren't trying to read in an exposed area, you can generally keep yourself safe for the time needed. Then, once you're done reading, the trait does nothing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: September 22, 2011, 03:02:53 pm »

That "exposed area" assumption is quite the assumption, though. Books can be somewhat heavy, and it's nice to be able to blaze through them where you find them without having to worry so much about food or water or getting attacked. Also, you can still fast-read books for pleasure, but you might as well just smoke a cigarette or something.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 777