Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260328 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6375 on: September 23, 2011, 01:33:49 am »

Regarding ammo, a few smart things to do:'
  • Choose guns based on the ammo you can find.
  • Use crossbows, since wooden bolts are basically free. They're silent, but they're not the most powerful and only hold one bolt. I've considered holding four loaded crossbows on my person at once for that reason, but that's a lot of slots!
  • Use melee unless you need your gun. No reason to waste ammo on plain zombies unless there's a good reason!

By the way... is it just me, or is purifier a little crazy? Once you can survive labs okay, you can find tons of the stuff, and even if not, you have a good chance of finding it on random dead scientists and such. Most notably, I feel like this makes curable disadvantages like "bad back" a little too tempting, since you know they'll only affect you once you find your first purifier, whereas other disadvantages are permanent.

Also, in my opinion, purifier's function makes Robust Genetics (or mutating in general) not very useful. I understand Robust Genetics isn't necessarily meant to be used to intentionally get mutations, but just in case intentionally getting/staying mutated is ever intended to be valid strategy, bear in mind it totally locks you out from purifier's consistent stat bonuses, making it much less tempting to do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:58 am »

Can anyone tell me where in the source are the weapon noise tables?  I'm having no luck so far.

iirc it's the amount of damage the bullet does that determines the noise, not the gun firing it (although silencers attached to the gun also reduce it)

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: September 23, 2011, 02:00:52 am »

Can anyone tell me where in the source are the weapon noise tables?  I'm having no luck so far.

iirc it's the amount of damage the bullet does that determines the noise, not the gun firing it (although silencers attached to the gun also reduce it)

Thanks, I had no idea.  I was looking through itypedef.cpp and ranged.cpp with no luck.  Someone said earlier that a silencer reduces noise by 45.  Am I correct in assuming that a 50dmg bullet makes 50 noise?

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: September 23, 2011, 02:04:33 am »

Regarding ammo, a few smart things to do:'
  • Choose guns based on the ammo you can find.
  • Use crossbows, since wooden bolts are basically free. They're silent, but they're not the most powerful and only hold one bolt. I've considered holding four loaded crossbows on my person at once for that reason, but that's a lot of slots!
  • Use melee unless you need your gun. No reason to waste ammo on plain zombies unless there's a good reason!

By the way... is it just me, or is purifier a little crazy? Once you can survive labs okay, you can find tons of the stuff, and even if not, you have a good chance of finding it on random dead scientists and such. Most notably, I feel like this makes curable disadvantages like "bad back" a little too tempting, since you know they'll only affect you once you find your first purifier, whereas other disadvantages are permanent.

Also, in my opinion, purifier's function makes Robust Genetics (or mutating in general) not very useful. I understand Robust Genetics isn't necessarily meant to be used to intentionally get mutations, but just in case intentionally getting/staying mutated is ever intended to be valid strategy, bear in mind it totally locks you out from purifier's consistent stat bonuses, making it much less tempting to do.

Purifiers do make robust genetics (and mutations in general) look bad.  However, you can mutate a few traits (schizo, forgetful, night vision, quick) that can't be removed by a purifier.  I did some wish testing and I felt that mutagens weren't worth it even if you had robust genetics!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: September 23, 2011, 02:21:34 am »

Purifiers do make robust genetics (and mutations in general) look bad.  However, you can mutate a few traits (schizo, forgetful, night vision, quick) that can't be removed by a purifier.  I did some wish testing and I felt that mutagens weren't worth it even if you had robust genetics!

I was told that purifier can remove all mutations you receive during gameplay, but if you're right, then never mind!

But yeah, if you have robust genetics you get (on average) a bit more positive than negative mutations, but even if that's a net positive, the fact that you lock yourself out of stat bonuses (which are just plain awesome) still makes it not worth it.

Personally, I'd prefer if purifier never got rid of your starting traits, for reasons I've stated.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: September 23, 2011, 02:31:54 am »

A suggestion to make Robust Genetics more viable.

Increase its value by one or two, and switch it from a better chance to get a good mutation to being offered a choice of three mutations. Change its name from Robust to Guided, and change the description to "Through force of will, you can exert a degree of control over your genetic code when it becomes unstable, allowing you to chose between 3 possible mutations."
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: September 23, 2011, 02:51:24 am »

The normal chance of getting a good mutation is 2 in 7. Therefore, the chance of a set of three random mutations having at least one good one is about 63.6%. That's actually a lower probability of a good mutation than the current Robust Genetics (about 64.3%), but you'd get more choice in which bad one you get.

Also, consider the fact that there really aren't many mutations yet, so after a few mutations, the game would start running out of good mutations to give you. And you still prevent yourself from getting the purifier stat bonuses.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: September 23, 2011, 06:13:31 am »

Does the trait fleet-footed actually work?

Playing the windows port, I don't notice a speed boost in the @ stat screen while moving on the road.  Neither does the road offer a reduced movement point cost when examined.  It's hard to tell if fleet-footed works or not because normal zombies are still really slow and fast zombies are still faster than the player.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:57 am »

The game doesn't really display movement speed. The "speed" in your stat screen is your general speed. It's how many action points you get per round, or... something. Fleet-footed reduces how many action points walking costs.

The "speed" stat is a little confusing to new players. I think the game should make this more clear somehow, possibly by displaying your basic running cost (with all modifiers) separately, since it isn't displayed at all.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: September 23, 2011, 09:29:17 am »

I was told that purifier can remove all mutations you receive during gameplay, but if you're right, then never mind!

But yeah, if you have robust genetics you get (on average) a bit more positive than negative mutations, but even if that's a net positive, the fact that you lock yourself out of stat bonuses (which are just plain awesome) still makes it not worth it.

Personally, I'd prefer if purifier never got rid of your starting traits, for reasons I've stated.

Only starting stat that I know from the sources is removed with purifier is Thick Skin. That makes it a no-brainer that you shouldn't start with thick skin tho :P

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: September 23, 2011, 01:29:42 pm »

Only starting stat that I know from the sources is removed with purifier is Thick Skin. That makes it a no-brainer that you shouldn't start with thick skin tho :P

Here are the removable bad traits:
4 points - Asthmatic
3 points - Bad Back
2 points - Near-Sighted
2 points - Bad Hearing
1 points - I didn't check any of them

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: September 23, 2011, 02:55:09 pm »

Here are the removable bad traits:
4 points - Asthmatic
3 points - Bad Back
2 points - Near-Sighted
2 points - Bad Hearing
1 points - I didn't check any of them

Sorry, I meant the only good trait is Thick Skin. I always check asthmatic, bad back & bad hearing :D Asthma is almost never an issue, unless I run out of inhaler before finding any purifier. Bad back can get annoying.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: September 23, 2011, 06:15:47 pm »

Purifier removes thick skin? You sure about that?

It's kind of odd that purifier removes some physical disadvantages (listed above) but not others (e.g. Glass Jaw).

Asthmatic seemed pretty crippling when I tried it, because my character couldn't even sleep for more than a couple hours before waking up due to an asthma attack.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: September 23, 2011, 11:55:06 pm »

For the record, for a while I've been in the process of making purifiers only remove traits you acquired after character creation, and removing the distinction on individual traits as removable or not.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: September 24, 2011, 04:46:09 am »

Construction Cost Modifiers für Testers und Cheaters has been updated to the latest version.
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 777