Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263359 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6435 on: September 27, 2011, 03:13:42 pm »

Hey Whales,

When I try to 'make' 5d470f1 I get: "game.h:20:22: fatal error: calendar.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated." Err, maybe you forgot to add a couple of files to git that you have locally? (The most recent 'Download' from github.)

Great game BTW.

Arrrghhh every time I forget to add new files.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Well that explains it, Is it possible to kill the zombie who notices you before he calls for help, or do they just automagically teleport more in as soon as they notice you?

Bonus question: if you take parkour expert do you get the fleet footed bonus even when moving on railings etc?

Edit: I think piercing damage might be bugged or something... a wood spear is listed as 4 bash, 18 pierce. A butcher knife is listed as 4 bash, 20 cut - the spear is only 10% lower. However (with 0 skill in any related combat skills and 9 str), the knife does ~25 damage per hit, the spear does.... ~5. I had a similar problem with a metal spear doing very poor damage in an earlier game as well.

They don't teleport more in, but if it makes a path to get into your house others will have a higher chance of stumbling in.  Also a zombie that's smacking on a door or window will attract other curious zombies.

Fleet footed only applies to flat terrain, even if you have parkour expert.

Piercing damage is not bugged.  It is very weak against most monsters unless you score a critical.  The rating is higher than the damage to keep a "good" rating equal among bash, cut, and pierce.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6436 on: September 27, 2011, 03:25:54 pm »

When do we get the ability to disguise ourselves as a zombie? :D

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:18 pm »

Hum. Whatever happened to pawn shops? Too unbalanced or some such? I figured that with the variety of goods they could contain, the alarm would act as a counter balance to make them more fair.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: September 27, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »

Covering yourself in rotting entrails?

HELL YEAH

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: September 27, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »

Arrrghhh every time I forget to add new files.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Seems all good now... Thanks.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: September 27, 2011, 03:52:11 pm »

Covering yourself in rotting entrails?

HELL YEAH
Raise the cooking skill IIRC. You can make pheromones.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6441 on: September 27, 2011, 05:04:16 pm »

Yup, Zombie pheromone, already implemented.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

Hmmmm... I've got a reproducible lockup when picking things up - I think for some reason the game is letting me pick up too much stuff, since I'm basically at my volume limit and I think the thing I pick up pushes me over. Not totally sure that's what's happening, but the game locks up every time I pick the stuff up and I have to close it since nothing else works (it closes gracefully with no crash error or anything).

The game seems to have auto saved(?) at just about the perfect time to show it off too. Would the save be at all useful to you? I'm using the windows port if it matters (dunno if saves are compatible between versions).

Otherwise, I don't really know what info I can provide - it's happening while picking junkfood up off a shelf in a pharmacy.. I'm using the packrat perk and I already have a few of the things I'm picking up (chips and jerky) so maybe it's some kind of bug with item stacking?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: September 27, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »

Could be.  Please do email the save!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: September 27, 2011, 06:58:42 pm »

sent to the email on the MotD when you start the game.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: September 28, 2011, 11:47:27 am »

Heh, well, I can't even LOAD the save game, unfortunately.  It's probably a mis-matched save file format.  I need to start keeping multiple versions of the game on hand...

When I tried transplanting Toast into a new game world, the game loaded up but poor Toast had 0 HP in all slots, pointing to what is probably a corrupted save file.  This seems to happen occasionally and I'll have it worked out eventually.  Sorry it happened to you.

Thanks for sending that stuff along, even if I couldn't determine exactly what the real problem was.  And yes, sending a zip of the entire save folder is exactly what I need.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: September 29, 2011, 07:55:14 am »

Just pulled trunk, did a clean rebuild and deleted my save but now the game hangs after a few steps (normally less than 20).

Generally the hang is in map::loadn in the while loop starting in line 1334.
The mapin.eof() is returning false so the loop keeps going but the value streamed to ch is \000 and so doesn't match anything.

I'm not sure why it never eofs, it's possible the bad bit is set as your not checking for stream fail just eof.
Unfortunately I don't have libc debug libraries installed so interrogating the stream is proving hard.

Edit: Seems ifstream::failbit is set.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:59:48 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:58 am »

I've been playing the game a lot more recently, but I feel like there's something missing, I *think* it's ambiance. I don't really get the "Zombie Apocalypse-ish" feeling after awhile. Of course, this might not be considered a zombie apocalypse game but an apocalypse game that happens to have zombies in it so that might be the issue.

I mean, we should be avoiding combat for the most of the game, but we get rewarded skill points AND items for killing zombies, which kinda detracts from that idea. Then there's the point of getting so stupidly powerful that almost nothing can manage to kill us.

I mean, take a look at Rogue Survivor Ugh, game comparisons. Combat gives us nothing, zombies are a constant danger no matter how strong you get, food is scarce and always running out, and the music pushes down on you wherever you go. I can't really judge this game seeing as it's incomplete, but I'm hoping I can get that chill in Cataclysm like I do in RS (Have you HEARD the full sleeping music in RS?).

The self-set difficulty system in RS is nice too, since it fits with Whales' idea of player-set difficulty.

I also remember someone posting a hard-mode mod somewhere, any idea if it's getting updated?

One other thing I'd like to see is progressing characters for progressing worlds. For example. as the days pass in the world, any surviving character has to deal with increasing rareness of food and supplies from spoilage and use, larger numbers of zombies, tougher zombies, and whatever disaster the player character unleashes on the world. So, instead of rolling back the world for the next PC in that world, why not give that PC a boost in terms of skill an items to deal with this tougher world? In essence, you're taking control of another survivor that has had to survive without your guidance, thus has managed to scrounge together some items and amass some skill compared to a random PC that just poofs in out of nowhere. Sorta like reclaiming in DF.

Also bug: I've been getting spawns like blobs, zombie scientists, skitterbots, and one-eyed mutants aboveground. I think that "Underground monster spawns following you up" thing is causing it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:35:07 am by Blaze »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: September 29, 2011, 08:55:00 am »

Random thing I learnt today, despite having played for a while now, the attack rate on a gun's info screen is for use in melee and unrelated to how fast you fire them....
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: September 29, 2011, 11:48:16 am »

Just pulled trunk, did a clean rebuild and deleted my save but now the game hangs after a few steps (normally less than 20).

Generally the hang is in map::loadn in the while loop starting in line 1334.
The mapin.eof() is returning false so the loop keeps going but the value streamed to ch is \000 and so doesn't match anything.

I'm not sure why it never eofs, it's possible the bad bit is set as your not checking for stream fail just eof.
Unfortunately I don't have libc debug libraries installed so interrogating the stream is proving hard.

Edit: Seems ifstream::failbit is set.

That's very strange indeed, I haven't seen this nor has anyone else to my knowledge.  What operating system are you on?  I guess I could be more rigorous in my use of checks in ifstream; to be honest I kind of struggle with that whole mess.

I've been playing the game a lot more recently, but I feel like there's something missing, I *think* it's ambiance. I don't really get the "Zombie Apocalypse-ish" feeling after awhile. Of course, this might not be considered a zombie apocalypse game but an apocalypse game that happens to have zombies in it so that might be the issue.

I mean, we should be avoiding combat for the most of the game, but we get rewarded skill points AND items for killing zombies, which kinda detracts from that idea. Then there's the point of getting so stupidly powerful that almost nothing can manage to kill us.

I mean, take a look at Rogue Survivor Ugh, game comparisons. Combat gives us nothing, zombies are a constant danger no matter how strong you get, food is scarce and always running out, and the music pushes down on you wherever you go. I can't really judge this game seeing as it's incomplete, but I'm hoping I can get that chill in Cataclysm like I do in RS (Have you HEARD the full sleeping music in RS?).

The self-set difficulty system in RS is nice too, since it fits with Whales' idea of player-set difficulty.

I also remember someone posting a hard-mode mod somewhere, any idea if it's getting updated?

One other thing I'd like to see is progressing characters for progressing worlds. For example. as the days pass in the world, any surviving character has to deal with increasing rareness of food and supplies from spoilage and use, larger numbers of zombies, tougher zombies, and whatever disaster the player character unleashes on the world. So, instead of rolling back the world for the next PC in that world, why not give that PC a boost in terms of skill an items to deal with this tougher world? In essence, you're taking control of another survivor that has had to survive without your guidance, thus has managed to scrounge together some items and amass some skill compared to a random PC that just poofs in out of nowhere. Sorta like reclaiming in DF.

Also bug: I've been getting spawns like blobs, zombie scientists, skitterbots, and one-eyed mutants aboveground. I think that "Underground monster spawns following you up" thing is causing it.

To be honest, ambiance isn't my primary goal, although it's nice to have.  While it's true that sound effects and music, for instance, would go a long way for that kind of thing, I'm trying to keep Cataclysm closer to a classic roguelike, forgoing any extraneous media like that.

I could definitely see toning down zombie drops, they are a little high, though I did want to provide some kind of reward for fighting them.  I also realize that the difficulty drops acutely as you get powerful, and I'll be tweaking and trying to improve that in the future.

Starting newer characters a little stronger is an interesting concept but I'm not sure it fits now.  As gameplay gets more complex, and there's actually bigger changes to the world than looting and killing monsters, I'll definitely give it some thought.

I still haven't played Rogue Survivor (only recently heard about it) and I'm not sure I want to--I feel like it might overly affect my own development!

Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 777