Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263094 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6450 on: September 29, 2011, 12:24:51 pm »

To be honest, I don't think Rogue Survivor's style would fit in Cataclysm. That game takes the completely opposite direction, where turtling inside is the best (only?) way to go.

That'd result in Cataclysm's rich world going pretty much unexplored, since you'd be too busy hiding to actually look around you. And more so when we get NPCs and factions.

As for the ambient, RS has a strong "No victory, only delayed death" vibe. There is no way to win and the game just keeps getting harder. No doubt enjoyed by some, but I  like games where you have a chance of winning, no matter how minuscule.
But that's just my opinion.

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: September 29, 2011, 12:26:38 pm »

Hi people, i'm a fan of this game! I have little questions, can help me?

1. In SSH Game, there's an admin or something who reset the map? Or is always the same?

2. In SSH Game, is always the latest version Whales launch?

3. Can i loot the corpses of other humans i find?

4. In single player can find corpses of other humans too?

5. How can i make to see my stats ingame? I don't find the shortcut!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:28:48 pm by maki32 »

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: September 29, 2011, 12:28:37 pm »

Rogue Survivor came never ever close to the level of fun i have playing cataclysm (although i hadn't time to play recently), but it surely had one advantage, you gained skills through surviving, there was no reward for fighting zombies, that gave it a great survival feel.
RS failed when the author started to build upon non-procedurally generated content- fixed quests and scripts. ...that's a poison for a roguelike.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: September 29, 2011, 12:38:47 pm »

Hi people, i'm a fan of this game! I have little questions, can help me?

1. In SSH Game, there's an admin or something who reset the map? Or is always the same?

2. In SSH Game, is always the latest version Whales launch?

3. Can i loot the corpses of other humans i find?

4. In single player can find corpses of other humans too?

5. How can i make to see my stats ingame? I don't find the shortcut!

Thanks!

1. Yeah, Eronarn "admins" it. He only does resets on new versions though.
2. Nope. It's mostly whenever someone asks him. Plus, given that it's mostly needed to reset the world, it's not so often.
3. Yup.
4. Yeah, groups of dead soldiers and scientists occasionally litter the streets.
5. Press the '@' char.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: September 29, 2011, 01:27:25 pm »

That's very strange indeed, I haven't seen this nor has anyone else to my knowledge.  What operating system are you on?  I guess I could be more rigorous in my use of checks in ifstream; to be honest I kind of struggle with that whole mess.

64bit ubuntu 11.04, I used g++ 4.6.1 to build it.
I'll have a look at setting up the debug libraries and seeing if I can work out why.
Its strange though as the file appears valid for the previous loading of the terrain and the like, and I've rarely seen that kind of error unless the stream failed to load the file completely. (which you check for anyway)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: September 29, 2011, 03:14:13 pm »

The next update I would like to see is changes of season over multiple characters. Whales already has the seasons done iirc, but just needs to add a season change. It would be nice if it changed every 30 days or so.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: September 29, 2011, 08:20:47 pm »

That's very strange indeed, I haven't seen this nor has anyone else to my knowledge.  What operating system are you on?  I guess I could be more rigorous in my use of checks in ifstream; to be honest I kind of struggle with that whole mess.

64bit ubuntu 11.04, I used g++ 4.6.1 to build it.
I'll have a look at setting up the debug libraries and seeing if I can work out why.
Its strange though as the file appears valid for the previous loading of the terrain and the like, and I've rarely seen that kind of error unless the stream failed to load the file completely. (which you check for anyway)

Hmm, it could be a 64 bit issue.  Is it possible to run and/or compile under some kind of 32-bit mode, just to see if that fixes the problem?  I admit to know nothing about the potential hazards of compiling/running for a 64-bit processor, but that's the only unique variable I see here.

The next update I would like to see is changes of season over multiple characters. Whales already has the seasons done iirc, but just needs to add a season change. It would be nice if it changed every 30 days or so.

Seasons change with the latest update!  Every 14 days, which may seem brief, but I've never heard of someone playing for more than 25 days or so, so 14 should be plenty I think.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: September 29, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »

So are seasons persistant with the world, or do you actually have to survive that long with a single char to get a different season?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: September 29, 2011, 08:43:47 pm »

Seasons change with the latest update!  Every 14 days, which may seem brief, but I've never heard of someone playing for more than 25 days or so, so 14 should be plenty I think.

Well, bear in mind the game suffers the same kind of problem DF currently does, where the world isn't very dynamic and there isn't much to do during play. Once you survive sustainably, there's not much else in terms of goals. Of course, I'm sure that'll change, at which point longer seasons will probably make sense.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »

Me: Hey, whats that # in the road?
*Walks onto #*
"You've triggered a landmine!"
Me: FUUUUUUUU

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »

I nearly had that happen to me, as I've posted before, but I was lucky enough to have a squirrel take the hit.
Of course, I walked into the area anyway, thinking the mounds of dirt were the landmines, and found out they were just random byproducts of the spawn system.
Nothing important here, move along.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: September 29, 2011, 10:08:31 pm »

Well, bear in mind the game suffers the same kind of problem DF currently does, where the world isn't very dynamic and there isn't much to do during play. Once you survive sustainably, there's not much else in terms of goals. Of course, I'm sure that'll change, at which point longer seasons will probably make sense.

Quite the opposite, once there's more happening in the world the shorter seasons will make more sense.  Right now a character rarely lasts long due to ennui, but I think that a character with stuff to do should last 56 days--a very long game, in terms of playtime--and that's a full year with 14-day seasons.  I expect a full "game" to last two years, tops, so I certainly don't want seasons to be any longer than they are now.

I nearly had that happen to me, as I've posted before, but I was lucky enough to have a squirrel take the hit.
Of course, I walked into the area anyway, thinking the mounds of dirt were the landmines, and found out they were just random byproducts of the spawn system.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: September 29, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »

Yes, but at the same time landmines appear apart from the mounds of dirt, on their own.

Is there any way to increase perception post-gen, by the way?
Nothing important here, move along.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: September 29, 2011, 10:21:30 pm »

Is there any use for the barter/speech skills?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:21 pm »

Yes, but at the same time landmines appear apart from the mounds of dirt, on their own.

Is there any way to increase perception post-gen, by the way?

Cigarettes, stimulants in general and methamphetamine to a much greater effect, very high morale, the enhanced eyesight bionic, and mutation.

Is there any use for the barter/speech skills?

Not without NPCs--generate one using the Z menu if you like.  They'll generate normally soon enough.

Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 777