Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263019 times)

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6585 on: October 05, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »

Hey I was the drunk guy about 400 pages ago...

Whales or some1 would you be so kind as to show me how to set a virtualbox ubuntu on a windows 7 64 bit amd computer?

Also Whales, what variable would we need to change for that Zombie Town Population Modifier?
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: October 05, 2011, 09:06:06 pm »

Thanks, now I just have to find a gun reliably. I can never seem to find any Police Stations/Gun Stores within a reasonable distance from my starting location.

EDIT: Also, wtf is with not-being able to reload my gun when being hit. I can see a delay being reasonable and *maybe* if they get a crit stopping my reload progress, but as it is now if I'm using guns and I miss or encounter a fast enemy, I'm utterly screwed and imo forced to just make a melee character.

Even a character untrained in melee can fend off a fast monster quickly.  If you want to rely on guns, you have to think ahead a little bit more.  Reload whenever you get a chance--even the smallest-clip weapons carry 6 shots, which is almost always enough to secure your retreat and reload again.  Better yet, carry TWO guns, and switch them out as the first is empty.

Hey I was the drunk guy about 400 pages ago...

Whales or some1 would you be so kind as to show me how to set a virtualbox ubuntu on a windows 7 64 bit amd computer?

Also Whales, what variable would we need to change for that Zombie Town Population Modifier?

I have no idea how to do that, I'm sure there's some good results on google though!

For the population, modify the function overmap::place_mongroups() in overmap.cpp
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: October 05, 2011, 11:48:13 pm »

Attempting to divert a sewage sample (via computer) locks-up the game. Windows version.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:57 pm »

A cat would make a very fast companion, frankly. Also a good way to get small birds and rats as gifts.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: October 06, 2011, 12:14:44 am »

Ok, this one has got me stumped. How do you kill Giant Mosquitoes?  I can never seem to hit them and they just poison me until I die. What weapon should I be using on them?
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:56 am »

Attempting to divert a sewage sample (via computer) locks-up the game. Windows version.

Heh, wrote = instead of <=.  Fixed, thank you.

Ok, this one has got me stumped. How do you kill Giant Mosquitoes?  I can never seem to hit them and they just poison me until I die. What weapon should I be using on them?

They suck, it's true.  Having a high dexterity and relevant melee skills--and a high to-hit bonus weapon--helps a lot.  Gunfire also works splendidly; particularly a shotgun.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: October 06, 2011, 04:15:05 am »

I've found some webs but i was so pissed that i ran off as fast as i could, exploring it will have to wait until i gety some combat skills.
The clear window action is great i don't get mutilated by windows while casual exploration.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: October 06, 2011, 09:07:03 am »

New version features look awesome. Anyone know when the new windows tileset version will be updated?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: October 06, 2011, 12:29:53 pm »

New version features look awesome. Anyone know when the new windows tileset version will be updated?

I think interest in the tileset version has waned significantly, and it hasn't been updated in a long while.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »

actually, I think it is the interest in MAINTAINING the tileset that has waned. Too bad, as that was what I was able to use to lure my friends to the gameplay.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: October 06, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »

actually, I think it is the interest in MAINTAINING the tileset that has waned. Too bad, as that was what I was able to use to lure my friends to the gameplay.

Agreed. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people eagerly awaiting the update of the tileset.

Perhaps there's an opportunity here to bring new, interested parties on to help maintain the tileset.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: October 06, 2011, 03:09:40 pm »

Or maybe we could just spam Deon's pm box and email :P

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »

You know its funny. The atmosphere this game provides is EXACTLY what we need to see in a zombie survival co-op game. People coordinating supply gathering and manufacturing, actual threat to being hurt, limited resources.

In other news, some nice combos I've discovered in the last 24 hours:

Schizophrenia + Heartless = 3 free creation points. The only downside to Schitzo is the killing of you mother hallucination which heartless fixes. So unless you want 3 good perks that don't include heartless, this choice is gold.

Fast reader + 16 Int = 20% read times! Wow, That's impressive however I've noticed that when Fast Reader reduces the base read time by 2/3, it also reduces the effect of higher Int by 2/3 as well, which is why those 8 additional Int make the read times 20%((1-5%*8)*33%) rather than 3%((1*33%)-(5%*8)). So you could just as well take fast reader and put the points into something other than Int.

You can wear unlimited numbers of Utility Vests, however they are easily destroyed so if you are forced to fight, make sure to drop all your crap before you do otherwise they will likely be destroyed. EDIT: Also, just because a piece of clothing does not have an encumbrance rating, it does not mean it doesn't encumber you. I'm not sure if its liner or quadratic but for each piece of clothing on a slot beyond the first incurs additional encumbrance.

Trenchcoat + Backpack or Double Backpack are probably the best combo for carrying capacity for the torso. Its encumbrance 3 but that's not too bad really.

Based on morale/time to read, the Spy Novel is the most efficient in raising morale at 6 minutes per +1 morale. Others rank as follows:
Romance novel - 7.5m /+1 Morale
Drama novel - 6.25m /+1 Morale
Science fiction novel - 6.66m /+1 Morale

Finally, the Hatchet is the best melee weapon as it deals both respectable cutting and bashing damage.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:04:30 pm by S.K. Ren »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: October 06, 2011, 03:51:45 pm »

Not a be a purist, but Cataclysm is one of the most approachable ASCII games out there(along with incursion). Every enemy is labeled in your display automatically, things are color coded by group and there is a scrolling look button. If there was ever a ASCII game that didn't need a tileset this is it.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: October 06, 2011, 05:01:03 pm »

Umm, ok I don't know if this is a bug but... a Zombie Hulk spawned in a wall then killed me. The wall was fine, I was asleep then all of a sudden Zombie Hulk -> game over. And no the wall was not destroyed either. He just phased through it.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 777