Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263404 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7275 on: October 24, 2011, 08:37:49 pm »

Also, what trains Firearms aside from Guns 'n Ammo?

Shooting ammo from guns.
Right...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: October 24, 2011, 08:49:59 pm »

Shooting ammo from guns.
Right...

You can level once by repeatedly loading and unloading your weapon. (0 to 1 only)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: October 24, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »

Shooting ammo from guns.
Right...

You can level once by repeatedly loading and unloading your weapon. (0 to 1 only)
I believe Whales removed that a while ago.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: October 25, 2011, 12:22:14 am »

Unless there's some way to expand a collapsible baton that I'm missing (I'm assuming it's always 'expanded' and the text is just flavor to explain it's relatively small size), you might want to buff it up or give it a new description - it claims it's an excellent melee weapon but it's worse then a plain old rock (other then to-hit, which is of questionable value) as well as being worse then a bunch of other vaguely weapon-like tools I'm carrying around.

There's also a bug with stacking items when at the item limit. For example, right now I'm carrying 1 glass bottle and I'm at the limit if items I can carry - it won't let me pick up another glass bottle, even though it would stack with the one I"m carrying and not put me over the limit. Dropping a second item, picking up the other bottle, then picking the other item up works fine. This does not happen with everything - batteries, for example, seem to work correctly.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: October 25, 2011, 07:16:16 am »

I think I found a (former) hippie group; there are several hundred uses of marijuana lying around. Maybe we should add wilderness drug labs or abandoned camping sites for things like this.

Suddenly, Methzeds.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:21:24 am by Blaze »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: October 25, 2011, 08:33:31 am »

I found several hundred uses of marijuana surrounded by bear and shotgun traps. I dubbed the trap-layers the Stoner Hunters.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: October 25, 2011, 11:19:08 am »

There's a crafting bug that I think might have been reported a few pages ago, but here it is again just in case:

When crafting a recipe that uses any type of liquid, it will take ALL instances of that liquid.

If you have said liquid in your inventory, it will take all of that liquid in your inventory, but leave anything on the ground alone. And vice versa.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:29:28 am by Blaze »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: October 25, 2011, 11:52:24 am »

I found several hundred uses of marijuana surrounded by bear and shotgun traps. I dubbed the trap-layers the Stoner Hunters.
I thought at first you were saying you got stoned in the middle of a minefield. Then I realized you were having a literacy session in a minefield.

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:54 pm »

There's a crafting bug that I think might have been reported a few pages ago, but here it is again just in case:

When crafting a recipe that uses any type of liquid, it will take ALL instances of that liquid.

If you have said liquid in your inventory, it will take all of that liquid in your inventory, but leave anything on the ground alone. And vice versa.

I was having the same problem with Chunks of Meat, No matter where I had it the extra, On the floor, In a Container, All of it was used up for the single cooked meat.

Makes hunting a pain to have a decent profit.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: October 25, 2011, 02:11:50 pm »

Could anyone tell me if bows are added cause i missed a motd i think, i see there is a bow skill now and i'd like to know how to get a long bow/normal bow or how to craft one please i'd like my char to be an archer type who doesnt like firearms but only arrows and lives in the woods like a madman

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: October 25, 2011, 02:17:30 pm »

You can find the bows in sporting goods stores I think, not sure about the skills you need to craft them.
*Hugs*

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: October 25, 2011, 02:22:08 pm »

Really nice game, my first contact with it, after playing the very well done tutorial found me running past a fuel station.
Poured fuel on ground , used the lighter and moved again ... would have hated to be the 2 zombies following me :)

Ended the game by being badly hammered by acid rain when i was far from any housing, in a forest populated by rather bizarre things and out of light source at night.

Very fun.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: October 25, 2011, 02:52:12 pm »

I just downloaded this recently, its pretty fun. I noticed something a little broken though. Necromancer zombies have such low accuracy that you can use them to train dodge. I lured one into my lair and trained my dodge from 3 to 10. I only got hit once and that was because I decided to try to butcher something while it was attacking me. I did it again with a different one after I aquired more XP and went from 10 to 14 dodge without taking a hit.

Well, back to the game. I just decapitated a Hulk with a hatchet and found a bunch of dead soldiers. I think this is going to be a good run.

EDIT: Now I have 28 dodge, full military gear, tons of meds, a .45 submachine gun loaded up with mods, and plenty of food/water. All I need now is a bunch of traps and some construction skill and I'll be king of zombie town. Hopefully I can find a beginner book on construction on my next raid into the surrounding neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:51:17 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7288 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:46 pm »

Unless there's some way to expand a collapsible baton that I'm missing (I'm assuming it's always 'expanded' and the text is just flavor to explain it's relatively small size), you might want to buff it up or give it a new description - it claims it's an excellent melee weapon but it's worse then a plain old rock (other then to-hit, which is of questionable value) as well as being worse then a bunch of other vaguely weapon-like tools I'm carrying around.
The real kicker of the baton is that it is a really really fast hitting weapon. Very good for dealing a whole lot of hits in before a zombie can do any real damage, then step back and continue your rapidslapping, IIRC.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: October 25, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »

New update!  Figured I'd get this out there to have something new while I work on NPCs some more--they might be a while.  In addition to the listed features, lots of progress has been made on NPCs.

Clean build required, Old saves are obsolete.

Features:
  • Fire has been overhauled:
    • Items now have a "burnt" rating, which, depending on their material, will generally steadily increase while they are in fire.  This allows a fire to feed off a large item as fuel for a long time.  When an item's burnt value reaches three times its volume, it is consumed.
    • Fires generally only produce smoke if they are consuming fuel.  They may produce a very small amount of smoke if they are out of fuel, but this is harmless; very large fires may continue to produce smoke if they are out of fuel.  In practice, this means you can get a cooking fire going, and once it's at a large level, you can use it to cook without fear of asphyxiation.
    • Fire will not consume all items instantly; if you stack 20 books in a pile, and set fire to that pile, the fire will slowly burn through them rather than consuming them all simultaneously.
    • A fire that has a good fuel source will burn indefinitely (as long as that fuel remains).  Bodies are not a good fuel sorce unless the fire is very large; burning bodies will be difficult unless you cover them in gasoline or something.
    • Fires without a fuel source will die out much more quickly.
    • Fires spread over buildings more slowly.
    • Lighters can no longer be used to place fire anywhere; you must light a tile with some flammable items on it.
    • A bug was fixed which allowed fires to escape a pit--now, a fire that is in a pit (deep, not shallow) should not be able to escape it.  This makes a pit a great place to put a cooking fire, or to create a fire moat.
    • A bug was fixed which made fires more likely to expand to the northwest than the southeast.
  • FunctionZero's Gentleman Mod merged.  Includes several new items such as a suit, top hat, cigars, monocle, rapier, tea, and coffee.
  • New construction: Remove Window Pane.  Turns an intact window into an empty window frame, and gives you the sheet of glass from it.
  • New debug function allows you to instantly kill all active NPCs.  No, NPCs are not back in the game yet, but I'm stepping up testing and development of them.

Tweaks:
  • New characters may not start with stats lower than 4.  Increasing a stat beyond 14 costs double points.
  • You are no longer limited to 3 positive traits and 3 negative traits; instead, you are limited to 12 points worth of each.  This makes low-point-value negative traits more attractive.
  • XP increases at morale 0.  In fact, if your morale is 0 - 100, you now have a (morale + 20)% chance of +1XP each turn.
  • Bashing damage is less astronomical at high skill levels.
  • Critical hit calculation overhauled.  To score a critical you now need to pass two of three checks: A weapon to-hit bonus check, a skill check, and a dexterity check.  See the table at the bottom of this update for how it works, precisely.  This makes weapon to-hit bonuses and starting Dexterity more important.
  • Dodging is only practiced EITHER if your skill level is lower than the attacking monster's melee skill, OR if you fail the dodge check.  This eliminates the "necromancer dance" exploit.
  • All constructions that require a hammer can now use a hatchet instead.
  • Home-made grenade launcher recipe uses the launcher skill, not the guns skill.
  • Spoiler: Mine Ending Tweak (click to show/hide)
  • Tear gas no longer slows/paralyzes monsters.  It makes them stumble, blinds them, and does minor damage (major damage to plant-based monsters)
  • Explosion shrapnel is more deadly.
  • Flashbang explosions are much quieter--they have the same deafening power, but won't attract a zillion zombies.
  • .22 CB and .22 rat-shot weakened.
  • MP3 players last much longer.
  • Grenades have much more shrapnel.
  • You can use the Enter key to select a target when throwing or firing a gun.

Bug Fixes:
  • Constructions that require more than one tool display them properly.
  • You can not build a water purifier using nearby fire as a component.
  • Number of save games no longer capped at 16.
  • Electrohacks can't open more than one door in a supply bunker.
  • Rare crash on consuming items from the player's inventory fixed.
  • Consumption of charges from ammo fixed--you'll no longer be left with batteries (0).  This also fixes a crash involved with 0-charge ammo.
  • Necromancers can only raise zombie corpses.
  • Military supply bunkers shouldn't ever have their stairs cut off.
  • Bows and grenade launchers cannot be modded.

Critical hit table:  At some point I'll make this visible in the game.

Chance of Crit6.25%12.5%25%33%55.6%70.4%80.25%
Weapon to-hit bonus-3-2-10123
Skill0123456
Dexterity567891011

You must get a crit in 2 or 3 of these categories in order to benefit from the effects of a critical hit.  Each roll is made seperately; with a to-hit of 0, combined skill of 3, and Dexterity of 8, you must make at least two one-in-three chances to score a crit.

"Skill" is your skill in the weapon's category (bashing, cutting, piercing, unarmed), plus your melee skill / 2.5.  If the weapon belongs in more than more than one category, your strongest skill is used.

Note that this table is incomplete; Dexterity of less than 5 provides even worse chances, and Dexteirty of greater than 11 even better chances.

This new crit system means that batons are much better than rocks, despite having lower base damage ;)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 777