Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263121 times)

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7605 on: November 03, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »

maybe make bayonet damage or chance to hit better on rifles. that way there's not much gain from putting them on pistols and such.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: November 03, 2011, 06:18:09 pm »

Is putting bayonets on SMGs weird?  I don't know.  Maybe?  I almost allowed players to put them on handguns, too, but then opted not to.

As far as I know, bayonets are really only a thing you put on a long weapon, particularly a rifle. Putting one on a small weapon like a pistol or SMG is kind of weird, yeah.

Honestly, I'm not too sure why putting bayonets on SMGs wouldn't work. Most SMGs are long enough to properly use as a weapon without cutting your fingers off, and length isn't that important anyway. Granted, you couldn't really stab much, but you can still slash. Most modern bayonets also have a sharpened edge, making it as dangerous for cutting as any combat knife.

Disregarding all that, rule of awesome.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: November 03, 2011, 06:35:27 pm »

Two more bugs.

If your crafting menu has too many entries, you can still scroll down to the very bottom, though you can't see the cursor. If you try to craft anything that's below view range (In my case, the coilgun), you'll get the "You can't do that" message, even if you have all the ingredients needed.

Also, door computers can be hacked repeatedly though it doesn't mean more than quick computer skill increases.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »

Actually, if Animal Empathy works on bees, then THAT is a bug.

Aww... I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it.  :P

Crud. Beehives made superb bases- safe from rain, food everywhere, room enough for home constructions, etc.

Is it possible to clear out a beehive so that it can be inhabited, or will the critters just keep spawning?

It's possible to clear it out.  Beehives have a population of around 35-75 bees.

Actually, if Animal Empathy works on bees, then THAT is a bug.

If it's only supposed to work on certain animals, I'd suggest rephrasing the description a bit, as it might not be clear.

Well, the description does say that it only works on natural animals; giant bees and ants certainly aren't natural.  And it cites woodland creatures as an example, which is pretty much what it works on.

Is putting bayonets on SMGs weird?  I don't know.  Maybe?  I almost allowed players to put them on handguns, too, but then opted not to.

As far as I know, bayonets are really only a thing you put on a long weapon, particularly a rifle. Putting one on a small weapon like a pistol or SMG is kind of weird, yeah.

Honestly, I'm not too sure why putting bayonets on SMGs wouldn't work. Most SMGs are long enough to properly use as a weapon without cutting your fingers off, and length isn't that important anyway. Granted, you couldn't really stab much, but you can still slash. Most modern bayonets also have a sharpened edge, making it as dangerous for cutting as any combat knife.

Point on the sharpened edge bayonets--up until now they've been stab-only, but making them cut, too, makes sense I think.  Anyway, you can craft one using a combat knife, so it makes sense to retain that cutting edge.

Two more bugs.

If your crafting menu has too many entries, you can still scroll down to the very bottom, though you can't see the cursor. If you try to craft anything that's below view range (In my case, the coilgun), you'll get the "You can't do that" message, even if you have all the ingredients needed.

Also, door computers can be hacked repeatedly though it doesn't mean more than quick computer skill increases.

Odd regarding the crafting, I will investigate.

The door keycard hack thing was reported on the forums and has been fixed.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: November 03, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »

Can you craft a combat knife using a bayonet? :P

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: November 03, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »

True...

Should be able to reverse-engineer it. :P

I'm having fun making technology and weapons also, for our Pixels universe. I've been having loads of fun killing zombies while working on my own series. Its quickly growing into something much bigger than an RP. o_O I've already created multiple alien species, religions, creatures, entire solar systems, nations, and more.

Thankfully we got a website up. >_>

I'm curious to know what new !!SCIENCE!! Cataclysm will cook up. :) The whole sci-lab thing was genius, as well as finding soldiers and scientists dead on the streets. Really dramatic, and makes you wonder what really happened.

Still haven't read those computer files with the lore, even though I play games specifically for the Lore. :P

I DEMAND LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE...

*AHEM*

Let me go back to building a fortress in the forest now.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: November 03, 2011, 06:59:06 pm »

Hardware stores, mostly. I tend to get around 300-500 nails per a shop. Though maybe I'm just lucky, heh.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: November 03, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »

Is there any kind of advantage to using a nail gun rather than a hammer when building?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: November 03, 2011, 07:28:28 pm »

To be honest, right now I am -loving- the idea of a handgun bayonet.  Just like a gun with a jagged sharp pointy bit sticking out, so you can stab guys that get really close.  It's like Gears of War, except slightly less silly!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: November 03, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

There is a historical precedent. The handgun bayonet wasn't all that popular, though, because it unbalanced the gun. Easy enough to hold a gun and knife at the same time, anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: November 03, 2011, 08:51:23 pm »

Acid Rain~
Some stay dry and others feel the pain~ :P

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: November 03, 2011, 09:01:37 pm »

To be honest, right now I am -loving- the idea of a handgun bayonet.  Just like a gun with a jagged sharp pointy bit sticking out, so you can stab guys that get really close.  It's like Gears of War, except slightly less silly!
Like these?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:25 pm »

Well it would work, but not in the context in which you've just described. The reason knives can be attached to the ends of long rifles is because this bears a great deal of resemblance with a spear and the frameworks in which spear fighting takes place. You gain leverage, and most important of all: range. If you put it onto something that doesn't really give you much range or balance all that well, you might as well just hold the knife and acquire more precision and speed with it rather than attaching it to a short bulky stock. Attaching it to a smg might give you a bit of momentum, and some might be in the shape where they do lend well to leverage, but for the weight alone, knives really don't need much more than the energy normal human adults can exert by themselves to be effective. Most smgs are unwieldy clubs when you think about it, more importantly though, they were initially designed to be used in close quartes anyway for the trenches and whatnot, later modern designs haven't budged all that much except extending the capabilities that are already there.

All that being said, I am for one in favor of attaching knives onto any weapon we find. Not because I think it would be particularly useful in most cases, but because I am a supporter of utility and the increase of it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:24:45 pm by Flare »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: November 03, 2011, 09:14:23 pm »

Well, if we're already posting pics, here's my favorite bladed SMG pic, which kinda shows how would a bayonet on SMGs work.

Well it would work, but not in the context in which you've just described. The reason knives can be attached to the ends of long rifles is because this bears a great deal of resemblance with a spear and the frameworks in which spear fighting takes place. You gain leverage, and most important of all: range. If you put it onto something that doesn't really give you much range or balance all that well, you might as well just hold the knife and acquire more precision and speed with it rather than attaching it to a short bulky stock. Attaching it to a smg might give you a bit of momentum, and some might be in the shape where they do lend well to leverage and the other factors or a good melee weapon, but for the weight alone, knives really don't need much more than the energy normal human adults can exert by themselves to be effective. Most smgs are unwieldy clubs when you think about it, more importantly though, they were initially designed to be used in close quartes anyway for the trenches and whatnot, later modern designs haven't budged all that much except extending the capabilities that are already there.

All that being said, I am for one in favor of attaching knives onto any weapon we find. Not because I think it would be particularly useful in most cases, but because I am a supporter of utility and the increase of it.

Yeah, I agree wielding a knife by itself would be more efficient. I was just saying that attaching it onto a SMG could work.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: November 03, 2011, 09:54:12 pm »

Hardware stores, mostly. I tend to get around 300-500 nails per a shop. Though maybe I'm just lucky, heh.

You're incredibly lucky. Over the last dozen games or so I've explored at least 10 hardware stores and not found a single nail...  when they do have nails I don't believe I've ever found more then two boxes per store.

Supposedly you can find them inside random houses too... I don't believe I ever have, even once.

(or maybe I'm just the least lucky player ever, which is possible)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 777