Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1447636 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The current version is free, so literally worth every penny.

The future version content is unknown, so worthiness is undefined.

You may dislike it and it's fine, so please share your opinion about that instead that making pointless and counterfactual comments

they said next release would cost money :(

That's the plan right from the start. The last free version remain free, while customers who paid ONCE will get ALL future updates. It's only $7 now.

Just like DF, KSP has very great potential. If you have no problem donating to Toady, you will have no problem buying KSP. I'm just waiting for a payment method other than PayPal.

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

they said next release would cost money :(

Every version upto 0.13.1 has been free. That will now remain as the demo and new features will be in the paid for product which is currently going for a whole $7, soon to be increased to $10.

Harvester has confirmed that any relevant fixes or features will make it into the demo so it remains representative.

Even a brief glance at their development forum will show you that they're passionate about the game and active within the community. If you've enjoyed the experience so far, it'll only be getting better. :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

(has never donated to Toady :P )
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would this game run on an integrated Intel chip, assuming my other specs are up to par?
Works perfectly fine on Intel HD graphics.

Well, not perfectly, the FPS is a little low (and slide-showey when a thousand parts explode... but I think thats a  universal problem), but it does run.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The preorder price is set to go up to 10 bucks next week, and the feature list for the next version has been announced

* Flights are regularly saved to file, to be resumed later. (yes, persistence :) )
* The Tracking Station Facility at the Space Center, allows you to select and resume a flight in progress.
* Support for multiple simultaneous flights.
* An integrated game update system, so you don't have to redownload each time there is a new update.
* And some other stuff.

Soo... anyone going to try and absolutely pack LKO full of space junk?
Magma is overrated.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do like the idea of some of the future features (colonization and space stations). I may have to pay up once these features get added.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

well... fuck. I guess I better preorder this week.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a mirror for the demo? The archive will only get to around 30 Mb and then cut off.

EDIT: Never mind, found one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:24:28 am by Sirus »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

you can get out of the atmosphere with a single engine tied to a couple fuel tanks o.o
Admittedly, it's been several versions since I played KSP but all my rockets lacked sufficient thrust and endurance to make orbit. I'd always run out of fuel and start falling. When I tried making them bigger, they tended to be structurally unstable and fell apart at some point. (That was before the game had the auto-symmetry design feature)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

orbiting is a matter of horizontal speed more than vertical.

here everything has a fuel cost: raising you apoapsis (AP, highest orbital point) has a cost, raising your periapsis (PE, lower point) has a cost, and you start with a very limited fuel reserve. you don't want to just power your way to orbit (which is entirely possible!) because it's just easier to get to orbit softly.

that means not wasting too much energy in raising your AP!

try this craft: capsule, sas (normal sas), three fuel tanks, gimbaling engine.

now, we want to quickly skip trough the dense atmosphere, then start gaining horizontal speed when drag is less of a concern.

try this path: burn vertically until you are in the first light blue part of the atmosphere gauge, then turn 'right' at 45 deg and clear the second atmosphere 'zone'; when you're in the third atmosphere zone, get your craft horizontal and keep burning your fuel.

go to the map view: you'll see that even burning horizontally you're still raising your AP! keep on the map view, burning until the fuel is spent. you'll notice as your path will stop changing. see? your AP is now way out to space, while your PE is still too low so you'll do about an orbit and then crash into the atmosphere

so, if burning horizontally raises the AP, how in hell do we burn to just raise the PE without wasting fuel?

relaunch and do the same: burn vertically until you are in the first light blue part of the atmosphere gauge, then turn 'right' at 45 deg and clear the second atmosphere 'zone'; when you're in the third atmosphere zone, get your craft horizontal and keep burning your fuel.

switch to map view, and follow tha AP with the mouse. when the AP is at 100k, hit 'x', it will turn off your engine. notice that engine off doesn't mean stopping dead! you'll keep on the drawn path. keep on the map view until your craft is about to reach the AP, then return to the craft view (you don't need ultra precision here, even if you overshot it by a bit it won't hurt. but try not to!)

notice that your craft no longer point horizontal, so turn it until it does. (that's because the sas holds you to a direction which is absolute, while 'horizontal' is relative to the planet). when horizontal turn your engine at maximum thrust again and hit the map view

see? now the AP will change very slowly compared to the first launch (slowly because you can't be infinitely precise, otherwise it would not be changing at all) while your PE will raise dramatically. keep burning on even if you see that strange things will happen to AP and PE: that is when the PE raises above AP so they change points.

congratulation! now you are in orbit and you did your first actual orbital maneuver!

now this should make sense:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

There's a map view now?? (yeah, that's how long it's been since I played)  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a map view now?? (yeah, that's how long it's been since I played)  :P

there is a map! also, there is another thing relatively recent:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile

I still thought the smallest ship that could reach orbit was: capsule, 4xLFT, 1xLFE.
I guess that's just the smallest ship that can reach orbit and then make a powered landing?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still thought the smallest ship that could reach orbit was: capsule, 4xLFT, 1xLFE.
I guess that's just the smallest ship that can reach orbit and then make a powered landing?

you can do with capsule, two lfe and the non gimballing engine, but it would have been quite harder for a tutorial.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of my first forays into rocket construction has resulted in a design that can reliably make Jeb piss his pants for a good 20 seconds, without even getting off the launchpad. Mainly achieved through completely misunderstanding how to set up staging correctly.

http://wikisend.com/download/291222/Hilarity II.craft

Press space, then press space again.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 848