Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448819 times)

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #630 on: July 16, 2011, 10:18:45 am »

DUTCHLING.
WHERE DO I GET MULTIPLAYER?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 16, 2011, 10:25:54 am »

It was a joke. I just had a 3 large boosters separated by decouples and decoupled them while they still had fuel. Wriggled around a bit and they flew away.
I wish there was MP though :(

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 16, 2011, 10:39:14 am »

DUTCHLING.
What? You actually thought in the few ERs since the version you have, HarvestR could have completely rewritten the engine to be multiplayer compatible?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 16, 2011, 10:50:56 am »

DUTCHLING.
What? You actually thought in the few ERs since the version you have, HarvestR could have completely rewritten the engine to be multiplayer compatible?
Yeh can't blame a man for dreamin, can yeh?
 :'(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 16, 2011, 11:54:40 am »

Rockets, space-planes launching from planes, does it really matter? Most rocket formations made here are completely unrealistic, I don't care. Done with that discussion.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 16, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »

I just realized, the windows on the crew pod make it look like a face. A mustached face. Turn-A Gundam, anyone?

Now we just need a giant flail.

Nice rocket!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 16, 2011, 12:14:28 pm »

I just realized, the windows on the crew pod make it look like a face. A mustached face. Turn-A Gundam, anyone?

Now we just need a giant flail.

Oooohhh... Nice transformer. :P
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 16, 2011, 12:58:53 pm »

Rocketbot MkIV, bigger and badder.

(literally badder, it can barely make it 3/4ths of the way that the previous version flies)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 16, 2011, 01:59:19 pm »

Jervis from Iron Man: "It appears his suit can fly."

edit: now you need mounted rocket-missles to launch from it

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 16, 2011, 02:12:39 pm »

'Plane launch'?

It works in real life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never heard of a rocket being launched from a plane into orbit, These little theoretical commercial planes, yes, but a real one? I don't see it.
Well, you just don't follow the news, do you? That's not a theoretical plane, it has flown and launched a rocket into space, winning the X prize. The plane took the rocket to ~15km and the manned rocket flew up to ~102km of altitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNkUNP75-Q

If you also don't remember, the X15 did pretty much the same a few decades ago. But this was the first commercial one.

Fakeedit: Second flight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhpVHnAbrE

Actually I do, launching various objects from planes has been widely used since the very beginning of the space programs. I said rocket not plane.
I can see a plane being launched for LEO, but a rocket from a plane, I don't think so.
Which was the point. If the OP was saying having LEO 'planes' implemented, I'm all for it.
I don't know about you, but it certainly seems to me that that's exactly what's happening in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNkUNP75-Q
That is a plane.
That plane is basically a rocket with wings capable of suborbital flight.

I really don't see the point of your douche-baggery, specially when we're talking about a game and/or possible future ventures of mankind.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 16, 2011, 02:13:28 pm »

In fact, planes fly with props, or jets. Not rockets. That link Sordid posted was the first I've seen of any non spaceplanes using rockets.

Then perhaps what you should've said was: "I've never heard of a rocket plane."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 16, 2011, 02:29:19 pm »

2 words: Chuck Yeager. Rocket Plane argument over. Anyone with any pretence at having aeronautical knowledge should know about the Bell X-1...
This is a blank sig.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 16, 2011, 02:40:59 pm »

2 words: Chuck Yeager. Rocket Plane argument over. Anyone with any pretence at having aeronautical knowledge should know about the Bell X-1...
What about it? I'm not following the "Planes don't run on rockets" argument, that's stupid. Planes can run on anything.

I'm on the "You can't launch rockets from a plane" argument... Which is also stupid. :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 16, 2011, 02:54:36 pm »

An airplane is something that uses a rigid aerodynamic shape to generate lifting force. A rocket is something that generates lift solely by application of Newton's third law (or whichever it was). So as long as it's got wings to fly, it's an airplane. If it's also got a proper rocket as an engine, that makes it an aerospace craft. Rockets and planes can coexist, you know.

Anyway, I've built this giant Iron Monger-y thing.

Thing is, I can't get this thing to fly. If you can tinker it into spaceworthiness (as opposed to breakinhalfandexplodiness), feel free to feel proud. Here's the craft file.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 16, 2011, 03:05:29 pm »

So, i wanted a ion thruster, which led me to look at the cfg files, and i managed to create one ; it's actually a liquid fuel rocket, since i can't create a new type of rockets, but it has the same properties as a ion drive, and a "xenon tank" to go with it (revamped Liquid Fuel tank).

The good news is, it works really well, the other news is, from the little i saw, most parts seem to be really unrealistic. So, i think i'll look into it later, and try to make a "realistic" set of rockets soon.

Also, i played a bit with thrust and fuel consumption values, and managed to get above 999 999 km :D

It wasnt as easy as it sounds, because when you are very high (in the 100 000's of km but even below that), with a very fast rocket, every time you try to use your thruster, the rocket starts spinning around like crazy. It's really weird. In the end, i went with a modified "escape tower", because it pulls your command module instead of pushing it, and with the SAS on, most perturbations were suppressed (except once, but i could correct it right away). I got above 1500 km/s before giving up, so my next project is getting beyond lightspeed (300 000 km/s).

Oh and it's not just a matter of having crazy thrust, parts will be pulled apart/pierced through/explode if you have too much.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 848