Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443920 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: now hiring more optimistic astronauts
« Reply #600 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:20 pm »

I'd rather just use the rockets. Much simpler than flying a plane (and a lot more potential for Fun!)
Nothing important here, move along.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 15, 2011, 09:17:22 pm »

Just found this game, and holy crap it is awesome. Sorry if this has been mentioned, but has anyone flown to the Sun yet?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 15, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »

The sun is just an image, it doesnt actually exist yet. The planet is currently the only body mass.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 15, 2011, 09:41:17 pm »

I think the sun does get bigger the further out you get. I'll have to go over screenshots later and see.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 15, 2011, 09:45:47 pm »

... I have achieved orbit, with fuel left over.

Unfortunately, my periapsis is 37k up, and the apoapsis is in the region of 239k. Wonder if I can land...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:58:14 pm by Charmander »

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 15, 2011, 10:10:20 pm »

Does anyone else think that the devs like to delete threads on their forums for some reason? I've seen at least 3 different threads like the one I posted. Definitely not going to be active on that forum if my posts are just going to be deleted. It wasn't a troll or anything either. It was directed at the community as speculation.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:46 pm »

Asymmetrical ships are the most fun :3
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 15, 2011, 11:53:49 pm »

Asymmetrical ships are the most fun insanely dangerous :3

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 16, 2011, 12:08:08 am »

I mean, nothing attaches to them, that is quite shit.
Only things that would logically attach to them attach to them.
That means solid boosters.
What, you expected to be able to attach an SAS module sideways on the rocket?  Because that would work super well :V

EDIT: That's mainly because you can only radially mount stuff that's allowed to be surface-mounted, and that's only the solid boosters.
I modded fuel tanks to be surface-mountable, but they keep sticking on sideways and generally being invalid. Haven't tried SAS, but they do actually get more useful when they're farther from the center of the ship.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:44 am »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 16, 2011, 01:04:44 am »

... I have achieved orbit, with fuel left over.

Unfortunately, my periapsis is 37k up, and the apoapsis is in the region of 239k. Wonder if I can land...
You just have to drop some 4km from your periapsis to deorbit. Personally I'd recommend slowing your rocket down past the orbital velocity by thrusting backwards.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 16, 2011, 01:45:14 am »

'Plane launch'?

It works in real life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never heard of a rocket being launched from a plane into orbit, These little theoretical commercial planes, yes, but a real one? I don't see it.
Well, you just don't follow the news, do you? That's not a theoretical plane, it has flown and launched a rocket into space, winning the X prize. The plane took the rocket to ~15km and the manned rocket flew up to ~102km of altitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNkUNP75-Q

If you also don't remember, the X15 did pretty much the same a few decades ago. But this was the first commercial one.

Fakeedit: Second flight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhpVHnAbrE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:50:11 am by Soulwynd »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 16, 2011, 03:38:29 am »

'Plane launch'?

It works in real life.

I've never heard of a rocket being launched from a plane into orbit, These little theoretical commercial planes, yes, but a real one? I don't see it.
Well, you just don't follow the news, do you? That's not a theoretical plane, it has flown and launched a rocket into space, winning the X prize. The plane took the rocket to ~15km and the manned rocket flew up to ~102km of altitude.

If you also don't remember, the X15 did pretty much the same a few decades ago. But this was the first commercial one.

Actually I do, launching various objects from planes has been widely used since the very beginning of the space programs. I said rocket not plane.
I can see a plane being launched for LEO, but a rocket from a plane, I don't think so.
Which was the point. If the OP was saying having LEO 'planes' implemented, I'm all for it.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 16, 2011, 04:05:32 am »

'Plane launch'?

It works in real life.

Actually I do, launching various objects from planes has been widely used since the very beginning of the space programs. I said rocket not plane.
I can see a plane being launched for LEO, but a rocket from a plane, I don't think so.
Which was the point. If the OP was saying having LEO 'planes' implemented, I'm all for it.
I don't know about you, but it certainly seems to me that that's exactly what's happening in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNkUNP75-Q

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 16, 2011, 04:39:28 am »

Why use planes at all? It's obvious that giant robots are much cooler:

Current record: 18km up.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 848