Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448536 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

EDIT: on spaceplanes, how do you get engines to face downwards? I want a vertical liftoff/touchdown vehicle!

qweasd; shift for finer rotation (requires 0.15+)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

EDIT: on spaceplanes, how do you get engines to face downwards? I want a vertical liftoff/touchdown vehicle!

qweasd; shift for finer rotation (requires 0.15+)
Doh. And all this time I've been using the sides of down-facing parts, lol.

Oh, and thanks for that guide; it's actually useful! A rare trait among internet guides indeed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:38:04 pm by alway »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Those struts aren't perfectly aligned, my mammoth rockets always have trouble not shaking themself to bits if i don't have my struts perfect.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile

I find tail heavy( not too heavy) easyer to takeoff and i usually adjust them with the tuning function once in air... (evrythingyou do while pressing control will stay registered and so you can zero your plane)
Set phasers to tsun.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: comparison (click to show/hide)

game crashy nature is making difficult to fly around kearth   :(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:14:02 am by LoSboccacc »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: comparison (click to show/hide)

game crashy nature is making difficult to fly around kearth   :(

One is intended to be rocket fuel, the other jet fuel. At some point they're going to limit the type of engines to the type of fuel attached to them.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still legit  ;D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

one quarter around the world, I detached the first fuel tanks stage.

I had to drop a little from the cruise altitude, from 13000 to 10000mt to match the vector speed and detach them safely.

cruising in atmosphere with asas only is messy  :-\
it really need a vanilla attitude hold autopilot

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

crashed again halfway trough the world trp  >:(

abandoning challenge  ::)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Using Mech Jeb was a really good learning experience. It also showed how inefficiently i get my crafts into orbit.

I have switched to flying mostly space planes because rockets are pretty easy to build. I slapped together a real simple one and made it to orbit on my first try (no mech Jeb). Once in orbit I shot for the moon and made it there too. I had enough fuel left over I had to abandon my main engine stage. I could have put it into Munar orbit but because it was my first try with this craft I would have had "unnamed craft" debris orbiting the moon. Instead I crashed it into the surface.

Then I landed on the Mun but managed to break off a landing leg. The lander portion started to tip so I went full throttle and got back into Munar orbit. Once in orbit I pointed myself at Kerbin. My plan was to do a powered landing on Kerbin also, with a parachute to slow me down (I didn't have a decouple to separate out just the pod). It worked okay. I ended up landing in a random area of Kerbin a little too hard and destroyed everything save the pod, parachute, and one leg.

All of this without SAS, ASAS, or RCS. Rockets don't pose that great of a challenge.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: the farthest I went (click to show/hide)

using a plane with only atm engines. it's about halfway.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

link to mechjeb please?

No one ever says it anywhere, but how you install plug ins ( at least mech jeb) is as follows.

Extract the file.

The .dll goes into the "plug in" folder.

The parts go into the parts folder.

Mech Jeb is really impressive because you can watch how a "master" does the tasks you fail at.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Mech Jeb is really impressive because you can watch how a "master" does the tasks you fail at.
Which is exactly why I never use it. It takes all the fun of failing out of rocket science.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 848