Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448166 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2055 on: September 21, 2012, 01:22:01 am »

If Jool is a gas planet like you seem to be implying, your poor Kerbal would be crushed to death pretty quickly if he fell very deep into it.

It is.
It's more that it has no surface and at -100m, terrible, terrible things happen. Like, imagine the physics bugs. Now imagine them yanking around anything that gets to the -100m threshhold. It rips craft apart, and EVA'd kerbins suffer a terrible fate as their limbs are twisted and snapped around at odd angles and such by said physics jankiness.

Also, what are the physics like out at Jool? From what I have read, the further from the sun you are, the wackier the physics become.

I didn't have a problem myself; I highly suspect the bugginess is due to a combination of the map and the time compression. Try setting time compression to 1:1, wait for the transition to that speed to complete, then coming out of the map screen. Coming in/out of the map screen seems to do some odd things related to perspective or somesuch, which combined with a variable time compression might result in the space krakens.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2056 on: September 21, 2012, 03:54:28 am »

Heh, I missed Mun with my transfer burn, but by sheer coincidence it put me on a trajectory for Minimus. I'd like to say that I performed a land and retrieve on Minimus before I did on on Mun, but I botched the landing again. Just 4m/s of horizontal velocity will really do a number on your craft.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: September 21, 2012, 05:28:28 am »

I was working on my rescue craft, which still needs work, but it made it to the Mun okay, just barely... The base is pretty wide, but the thing is pretty darn top heavy. It took me 3 landing attempts and I may have blown too much fuel in the end, but the final attempt was even really iffy. The whole craft was rocking back and forth  precariously before finally settling down.

I budgeted 5 small fuel tanks for my 1 NERVA engine outbound transit stage, but I used up almost 4 of the tanks just getting to Munar orbit. 5 MIGHT have been enough, but it's cutting it pretty close by my estimation, so I'll probably need to throw some extra thrust on there somewhere. My launch stage was also slightly underpowered. I ended up using about 4 tanks worth of my descent, landing and relaunch stage. (Out of a total of 12. Yeah, maybe a bit overkill, but I want it to be able to climb back out of most atmospheres.) I feel the return transit stage SHOULD be okay, but I've yet to test it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: September 21, 2012, 06:33:27 am »

after getting a rocket able to go to the mun ( a modified version of the gargantua class showed earlier), I finally decide to send a one way mission to another planet!

well, turns out I should have checked orbits before launch... my kerbonauts will have to wait half a year :P
does Duna and/or Eve have an atmosphere? I have to choose between them, and being able to use parachutes is a factor.
if eve is like our venus, parachutes should work well.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: September 21, 2012, 07:49:03 am »

Duna has a very thin atmosphere, much like Mars. The bar didn't start raising until about 30,000 meters and the drag didn't really slow me down to less than, I believe 400 m/s or so without parachutes. It definitely helped, but I wouldn't recommend relying on parachutes alone, you're going to need engines on a Duna lander.

One way trip, I'd probably suggest Eve. It should have plenty of atmosphere to do the job.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: September 21, 2012, 08:36:27 am »

good, good. meanwhile, I almost rescued the stranded kerbonaut on the mun. sadly, I once again forgot to bring an empty seat, and most likely I owuldn't have enough fuel anyway...

but I left bob with him, so at least he isn't alone anymore :D

after 6 days on the mun and 2 resupply missions ( well, 3, but on the second one I discovered that 2 NERVA engines aren't enough to slow down at the orbit I usually use) I think I can consider it a colony.

probably if I split the lander and the interplanetary stage again, but I'll need to wait for the gargantua-heavy launcher.

below, a picture of gargantua-medium. the upper part with 4 NERVA engines is what I use to land on the moon. needless to say, I have to be VERY careful about horizontal velocity, since it is so tall.
I wonder how to turn that into an heavy version. probably replace some solid boosters with liquid engines, then add more boosters.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: September 21, 2012, 09:25:05 am »

I decided to go small, and try to get to Eve with a simple lander. It was pretty hard since i started out in a 90 degree orbit.
But finally got there, and landed nicely with the help of 12 parachutes.

First landing on another planet!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: September 21, 2012, 09:31:42 am »

now do it with a 3 men capsule!

with just one kerbonaut it is too easy :P

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: September 21, 2012, 09:34:31 am »

I think the kerbal space program just fired me for cruel and unusual designs. I made a plane design and decided that what that plane needed was more solid fuel rocket boosters to give it that extra pep. The plane proceeded to blow up on the landing strip and the entire game crashed :p

Note to self: add wheels to the plane so it doesn't have to skid on it's belly to take off. Minor details are sometimes the most important. Oh and add a couple more boosters!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: September 21, 2012, 09:59:08 am »

How would I go about attempting a rescue mission? Should I just have the extra guys hop out at the launch pad?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 21, 2012, 10:15:36 am »

yes,  as far as I know that is the only way.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: September 21, 2012, 11:09:35 am »

site's still refusing to work properly for me.

looks like I won't get the update today.
Same, trying to get the patcher now. I've got this far, so I ain't giving up.

EDIT: BOOM. Finally managed to D/L the patcher, now I'm trying to open it... Alright, I might get there yet.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:16:20 am by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: September 21, 2012, 11:19:40 am »

I think someone need to host a DL for the patcher on another site...
Well, the patcher is having trouble connecting to its server, so I think they just generally need more server powah and quantity.

EDIT: And we're off. Only took about 2 tries on each page, so it could've been worse.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:21:45 am by Spaghetti7 »

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: September 21, 2012, 11:40:43 am »

I've given up on the patcher. It kept crashing when applying the patch and windows would brutally shut it down, so I'm just doing it manually. It's gonna take 20 minutes, but I'm sure it's worth it.

EDIT: Goddamn, download stopped early. "Unexpected end of archive". Dammit. TRY AGAIN.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:46:18 am by Spaghetti7 »

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: September 21, 2012, 12:14:44 pm »

Got into space, thinking I was making good progress towards the moon I activated the time speeding uping thingy only to start falling back towards Kerbal. My little guy landed safely and I EVA'd making him stand there looking longingly at the moon.

I decided to take a screenshot and play around a bit with it.

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 848