Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448133 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2700 on: December 02, 2012, 03:03:17 pm »

Can we see pictures of your wibbly-wobbly rockets?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2701 on: December 02, 2012, 03:14:25 pm »

Does anyone have any tips on rocket design?
All of my rockets are too wibbly-wobbly and as a result I can't put anything into a precise equatorial orbit.
I just use struts/space tape. Because it ain't stable until it looks like a Faraday cage.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: December 02, 2012, 03:24:05 pm »

I must agree. struts all the way!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:50 pm »

Can we see pictures of your wibbly-wobbly rockets?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By "wibbly-wobbly", I mean that it wobbles around during gravity turning, launching the payload into an orbit with a completely wrong inclination. I think I need to be more careful with the controls, or at least improve the control systems of the rocket.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:39:25 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: December 02, 2012, 03:46:00 pm »

no. your problem is lack of struts. use struts to link everything that can be linked. decouplers are way too flexible/weak. you need to reinforce everything if you want tall rockets.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: December 02, 2012, 03:49:20 pm »

managed to dock to a station I have to bring down, now, how do I transfer resources between tanks?

found that, you alt right click tanks and then you can set them as in-out for resources

Spoiler: mission accomplished! (click to show/hide)

it is very hard to perform orbital operations with off-axis engines, I had to use all rcs' just to keep it from rolling
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:00:12 pm by LoSboccacc »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 02, 2012, 04:47:47 pm »

I've finnally managed to dock something! Now the Mun has a 6 man permanent space station (Yeah I am a genius, forgot to add parachutes or anything to land). I don't know why but all my screens from the game turn black.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: December 02, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »

finally! what can (hardly) be seen here is that I docked my first 2 crafts!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the bad part? the thing you see in the background is the third piece.
it should have been the station hub. but due to a mistake, the only port it has is a small port, and it has no engines, little RCS and no ASAS. SAS power is also pityful, since it only has a tiny probe.
Which means, I'll have to use the station to dock to it.
the whole, heavily unbalanced station. on a small docking port.

wish me luck  :(

I would abandon it, but there are bill bob and jeb on it.

edit: congratulations on the mun station!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: December 02, 2012, 04:59:28 pm »

Spoiler: a planned slingshot (click to show/hide)

this node interface is really powerful; trying different configurations to the planet encounter allowed me to find one with about 700m/s of dV less to be used (still out of reach of the current stage, so the eta burn is off)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: December 02, 2012, 05:04:48 pm »

yes, it is quite neat. makes travelling to other planets much easier.
assuming you manage to send a large enough ship to orbit... but with docking that is less of a problem I guess.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: December 02, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »

How does one go about making everything level? Example, I have one central mainsail engine, and I want 3 more radial engines, with their exhausts level with the mainsail. Is there some kind of snap-to for this?

Also, I know of prograde and retrograde, but are there terms for Dv in the other 4 directions available on the orbit planner?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: December 02, 2012, 05:19:24 pm »

normal and radial; normal can be upward or downward, radial can be inward and outward

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: December 02, 2012, 05:39:40 pm »

How does one go about making everything level? Example, I have one central mainsail engine, and I want 3 more radial engines, with their exhausts level with the mainsail. Is there some kind of snap-to for this?

I got so fed up with this problem in 0.13 that I made a little external script to go into the .craft file and (with a little guesswork and a little guidance) automatically what I'd heretofore been doing manually.  (But my script is tuned to my own build-style, and is in Perl, so probably not much use to you.)

If things haven't changed too much for 0.18 savefiles, that's what I would suggest.  Here's what I used to do: Open the "foo.craft" file in notepad, identify a central fuel-tank from which radial decouplers branch onto counterparts that has (say) a <x>,<y>,<z> location of <x>,4.50424,<z> and then see if you've got (say) three radial fuel-tanks sitting at <differentxs>,4.412945,<differentzs> (i.e. similar, but not identical, vertical positions) and edit that middle value to be the same as the original middle value.  For all fuel tanks/engines directly below these initially branching ones, cross-compare with the equivalent "central stack" item and adjust accordingly.

This must be done only with like-for-like components in both central and radial positions.  I find that getting a layer of radially-attached stacks (that mirror the equivalent stack(s) that they centrally attach to) in position before I start adding in fuel/strut interconnects and SAS modules that sit on top of the side-stacks that don't have counterparts in the central one(s).  If you then want to add a second layer of radials, then you are advised to do this in a second pass.  I've done this up to four times, in the past.

But, anyway, when happy (or for each stage in a complex multi-pass refining) save the file as "fooX.craft", then back in KSP load the "fooX" model.  As you didn't change the "model name" entry at the top of the Ship file, it will still be named as "foo" and if it loads nicely you can just resave it over the original "foo.craft".  If it doesn't like the load, or it doesn't look right to you for some reason, just don't save the fooX (named "foo") and re-open the "foo", either in KSP or notepad, and do what you need to do to work out what the issues might be and what (up to and including trying the editing process again) you can do.

I've sometimes found editing the .craft file is even good for properly organising the staging groups (I find that complex ones were often difficult to control in the Assembly Building interface).  No idea if this is still the case, and of course now there's the Action Groups to consider as well.

Of course, there's probably some 3rd-party applications (either in-line to KSP or external like my own script) been made that sorts a lot of this out for you.  And are properly tuned to (at least) 0.17 savefile formats.  But as I'm a bit behind the times on versions I can't help you there.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: December 02, 2012, 05:45:40 pm »

there is an option to snap things vertically in the config, but the problem is that is applies to all pieces, and restarting each time you wan't to mess with alignment is boring
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:47:30 pm by LoSboccacc »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: December 02, 2012, 05:48:54 pm »

OK, using the manoeuvring nodes did nothing for making space station segments get near enough to each other. I can get them within a few km easily, but once I'm there, one ends up overtaking the other, regardless :(

Extra engines do nothing, more RCS does nothing, ASAS does nothing...

Seems I'm destined for failure when it comes to space stations.

getting a few kilometers away from target is all you need manoeuvring points, so they worked wonderfully.
when you get that close, navball should switch from "orbit" to "target". first burn toward the symbol that usually mean retrograde, to eliminate relative speed. then, burn to target ( purple cross with circle). repeat several times until you get close.

I just tried to dock the station with the people module I spoke about earlier... they got very close, but failed to align. not quite agile enough, that station :/ I'll send a rescue craft to bring people back later. docking is way more trouble than it is worth in this case.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 848