Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448282 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2805 on: December 04, 2012, 10:47:36 pm »

Just slow down. You're using RCS, right?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2806 on: December 04, 2012, 11:13:07 pm »

If you look in the bottom left there's 3 buttons near the translation indications. The top one is the staging controls, which is default. Middle one is the docking controls, which changes WSADQE into RCS thrust controls, along with spacebar and CTRL (or shift, something like that). It also displays more translation indicators to help.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: December 05, 2012, 12:18:00 am »

Holy shit, has anybody flown jets in .18?

I almost hit 1000m/s at 20KM altitude under the power of only two turbojets.

Edit: Pic right as the engines finally choked out or something and went about sparking and sputtering and sending the plane tumbling.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can actually get slightly higher/faster with some extra intakes and well timed rocket activation. Harvester added instructions for getting one of the default space planes to orbit on his forum blog. His involved a quick climb to 10km, leveling out. Speeding up as he slow climbed past 15km. 600-800 m/s reached by the time he got to 20km. Another level-out period to build up more speed up to 1200 m/s or so. At which point he popped the rocket, eventually getting up to around 1600 m/s and 24 km before the jets died and he shut them off and closed the intakes. (Action groups already pre-set on the default plane. Closed intakes cause less drag though, so slightly important.)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:42 am »

If you look in the bottom left there's 3 buttons near the translation indications. The top one is the staging controls, which is default. Middle one is the docking controls, which changes WSADQE into RCS thrust controls, along with spacebar and CTRL (or shift, something like that). It also displays more translation indicators to help.
I was using that, but it is still incredibly difficult to get it exactly right, since I was attempting to dock with... well, a ship with a rather large nuclear engine and fuel tank, so that I can remove the thrusters from my station and send them back to Kerbin. Therefore, navigation with it tends to be a bit tedious, since angling is a must. And in this case, angling is a pain.
Well, you need ASAS and RCS, and to use the docking mode. Also the "fine controls" mode, since that helps RCS as well. First kill your relative speed. Then right click the docking port you want to dock to, select "set as target". Right click the docking port on your ship you want to use to dock, select "control from here". Hit "V" until you get to "chase" camera mode, then orient so that you're looking along the docking direction. Eyeball the correct angle for docking and orient the ship to that. Switch to translation mode, and gently nudge RCS with quick taps until your velocity vector is somewhere in the vicinity of the target marker on the navball, and your speed is within 1 m/s. Coast slowly until you're close enough to correct your approach angle, do that, and then adjust your velocity again. If you can't see your dockport, just keep your eyes on the navball, because it represents your docking port in this setup. Ideally, you will want to put your target marker in the center of the navball reticule first, and then do the final docking approach, rather than approach from an angle, but as long as you're going slow enough a slightly angled approach should still work.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: December 05, 2012, 01:02:19 am »

I've gotten to 20-23km and 1500-1700m/s cruising with just one turbojet engine.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: December 05, 2012, 07:14:27 am »

So I have 2 ships in orbit. How do I get them even remotely close to each other? I've matched the orbits almost perfectly but they're on almost opposite sides of the planet.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:46:06 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:16:57 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: December 05, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

So I have 2 ships in orbit. How do I get them even remotely close to each other? I've matched the orbits almost perfectly but they're on almost opposite sides of the planet.

Lower orbits move around the planet faster, so you'll need to increase the distance of the orbits first. Then fast forward until they start to approach each other.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: December 05, 2012, 01:26:15 pm »

similar to how you get to the moon...
-you click the 2nd ship and mark it as target.
-create a maneuver.
-adjust the maneuver so that the two interception "pink(?) triangles", that are shown on the new maneuver orbit, are ontop of eachother... if you move the mouse over them you see the distance they are away from eachother.
-aim to the blue maneuver target...
-do the maneuver.
-then you should be kind of close to it and can get closer best with RCS.

+ a bit of experimenting and trial/error with the maneuver

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: December 05, 2012, 01:28:17 pm »

keep in mind that you can right click on the port that you want to dock to, and set THAT as a target.
setting the ship as a target can lead to the navball being worthless when you are very close, depending on positions.
(obviously how much of an issue this is depends heavily on structure of rockets. for ports on top of the capsule, no difference. on the side, and far from capsule? very different)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: December 05, 2012, 01:35:21 pm »

There's no difference at all where either your or the target's ports are.

Right click the target port, select as target. Right click your own port, select "control from here". Hit "V" till you are in chase camera mode. Voila.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: December 05, 2012, 02:49:54 pm »

is there any other way which isn't mouse to select the target? because I have some debris in the same orbit with the station, but the game selects them (even if their position in orbit are quite far)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:05 pm »

Use the control center to remove the debris.

or

move the target.

BTW, got started on the Unstationary Space Station, or USS.
got 4 linking modules, and engine module linked together in orbit.
Will have pictures soon.

Also, does anybody know how to fix the unknown bug in 18.1?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2818 on: December 05, 2012, 04:13:39 pm »

I've built an RCS rover/tractor. It is specially designed so that the center of gravity is right in the middle of the horizontal clamp-o-tron, and there is a forward C-O-T on the front edge. Thus, it can ride on top of a Munar or Dunar mission vessel and drive around independently. The forward C-O-T is designed to clamp on to small drone-based "illumination systems" or other small structures. It could also hook up to a stationary RCS fueling gizmo.

Now I just need to make the transfer vehicle... and, come to think of it, figure out a way to get this thing hooked up on the front of it. Can you connect covered C-O-Ts to other joints in the vehicle designers?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: December 05, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »

Why do my rockets look so phallic?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 848