Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443925 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2835 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:07 am »

I've seen some on the KSP forums.

Link

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2836 on: December 06, 2012, 08:08:20 am »

Awesome :D Now I need to make a huge spaceship with the sole purpose of running one of those huge engines at full power.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: December 06, 2012, 08:33:18 am »

Decided to add an extended dock to the station. It now supports rockets with the clamp-o-tron jr.

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: December 06, 2012, 08:41:57 am »

Unstationary Space Station so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Engine module on the top left, and 4 Nexus modules.
The thing on top with the landing legs is my catcher module, that I needed after one of my astronauts ran out of RCS fuel.

I'm working on the lander modules, but I might be overdoing it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: December 06, 2012, 10:10:13 am »

You can go into your folder and mod the ion engines, I made mine 30x stronger - still close to no effect.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: December 06, 2012, 10:12:48 am »

Problem with ion engines is that they're only usefull if you could use them together with timewarp. Which you can't.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: December 06, 2012, 10:31:16 am »

How are you people getting huge fuel tanks into orbit and docking them? I barely managed to get a probe up there.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:07 am »

How are you people getting huge fuel tanks into orbit and docking them? I barely managed to get a probe up there.
A single mainsail engine + tank + 4 booster engines should be capable of getting a partly full orange tank into orbit.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 06, 2012, 10:35:06 am »

A single mainsail engine + tank + 4 booster engines should be capable of getting a partly full orange tank into orbit.

Whaaaat? At what point does the weight of the engines overcome their lifting capability?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:58 am »

...never? Engines would be useless if they didn't have a thrust-to-weight of more than one.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 06, 2012, 10:51:14 am »

Whaaaat? At what point does the weight of the engines overcome their lifting capability?
Just to clarify, since I've been pretty not clear. The partly full fuel tank was on a second stage with it's own mainsail engine.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2846 on: December 06, 2012, 10:57:22 am »

It might also be nice to have a very dense "Pebble Bed Reactor" clone of the radiothermal generator that pumps out substantially more power than the radiothermal one. Combine that with a VASMIR rocket and a Xenon container the size of a normal fuel tank, and you'd have a compromise engine like what people are looking for.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: December 06, 2012, 11:05:10 am »

I'd like heat to be a resource first. Being able to install radiators, or cooling vents(dumping liquid nitrogen) or redirecting heat from the engines to other nonimportant parts of the ship seems fun.

It might be even more fun if we got the ability to use fuel as an emergence cooling liquid.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: December 06, 2012, 11:30:02 am »

...never? Engines would be useless if they didn't have a thrust-to-weight of more than one.

Derp, sorry, I meant the weight of the fuel. xD
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 848