Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448287 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2910 on: December 08, 2012, 08:37:36 am »

While you are all out visiting other planets...

Spoiler: SSTO Success! (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #2911 on: December 08, 2012, 08:39:32 am »

I just discovered that my station now wobbles too much for any docking attempt to be made. :P will need to redesign next one, but for the moment I had to scrap my refueling mission.
but at least I tested my debris-free refueling rocket. brings 4 tanks of RCS and 3/4 of a standard large diameter tank of fuel. then deorbit. and can land crew safely.

now, onward to other planets!
standard mission to moon and minmus, then docking in space to get to other planets.

( any tip on making stations stable? besides perhaps not leaving last stage fuel tanks attached to it)

great SSTO and space station, Sean!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: December 08, 2012, 09:13:52 am »

I've found that leaving the area (going back to tracking station, not just going into on rails) and coming back makes the stations stable until you control them again.
Magma is overrated.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2913 on: December 08, 2012, 09:24:18 am »

I'm trying to build the asparagus design with 6 stalks+ central, but I can't seem to split the decouplers correctly. For some reason they are grouped into 5+1, and I can't seem to select only two to put in a different stage. Any tips?:(

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2914 on: December 08, 2012, 09:28:32 am »

Click 5 group to wxexpand. Click on green selected decouplers to deselect, and ctrl+click to select.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: December 08, 2012, 09:34:45 am »

That's precisely what I thought would work, but doesn't. It turns out double-clicking on the group will deselect everything, and I can pop them out one by one.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: December 08, 2012, 09:48:30 am »

I just had (what I consider at least) to be a major success for my space station. I managed to deliver a FULL orange tank and dock it. I then took one of the crew and she(?) became the first Kerbalite to become a permanent resident of the space station. It includes 6 solar cells, plenty of batteries and 1 storage container.

As per my requirement on all space station missions, the delivery craft decoupled and returned to Kerbin safely. I have had 5 constructions missions so far and only lost 3 total crew (not counting launch pad failures... those are just simulations right?) The first guy tried an eva but my game pad was messed up so he ended up floating into orbit, never to be seen again.

The second 2 where on my first fuel depot delivery. It was a very strange craft design that invloved a very late mission (just before return) decoupling and then flying backwards. I decoupled and flew the wrong direction. Smashed full speed into my own space junk. Curses.

I think I will do a few other deliveries and then use it as a staging point for a Mun or Minus mission (not that I need a staging point for those...)

In case anyone is interested, my strategy for getting larger loads into orbit is this. It only covers liquid engines, I'll add a note about boosters at the bottom.

1. Get MechJeb for Thrust to Weight ratio calculations. This is very important.

2. Build your payload. This will be everything you want when you dock. It includes your command pod, their return system (if required), and what you are delivering.

3. Build your upper stage. This stage is generally used at the tail end of the flight to finish getting into orbit. It is also used to push your payload into position. It is extremely important the TWR (thrust to weight ratio) on this stage and every stage is > or very close to 1.

4. You now have a stage that can push your payload until its fuel runs out. Your goal has to be to get the payload stage as close to orbit as possible. To do that you need another stage (or two). We'll call this the pusher stage. The pusher stage follows the same rule as the upper stage, TWR has to equal (or be greater than) 1. Keep in mind that the weight here includes the upper stage AND payload (MechJeb takes this into account).

Quick example. You know your upper stage is 1 LV-T45 engine and 2 TL-T800 fuel tanks. This will only burn for 250 seconds, not long enough to make it to orbit. To fix this you need a pusher stage.

First, add radial decouplers to the upper stage. Next you add 3 of the TL-T800 tanks and to each stack you add an LV-T45 engine. This, in my example craft, put me at .96 TWR. I can fix this one of two ways. First is boosters. Adding a booster to this stage will give me free thrust while some weight from liquid fuel burns off. The second way is my favorite.

Simply attach your pusher stage to your upper stage with a fuel line. If you go from the bottom each stage you will be able to fuel your upper stage with fuel from your pusher stage.

Either way, you now have a pusher stage that is self contained. The distance the pusher stage travels before it burns out is all free, it is simply postponing the time before you have to engage your upper stage.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: December 08, 2012, 10:22:47 am »

Something is wrong about the buoyancy.

Spoiler: doing science (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: December 08, 2012, 11:03:21 am »

So.

I can't manage maneuvering in space.

I managed to detatch my tug from the main craft for possible space station assembly.

And I ended up flying far, far away, with not a hope of return.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: December 08, 2012, 11:10:01 am »

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

OH MY GOD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Absolutely kickass! The Theorem I is in orbit around Kerbin! :D The great astronaut has moved from the control pod and into the living space. Hooray! He will now stay there until he goes crazy.

I had a previous attempt that ended in ... well, let's just say he will be remembered. Basically I had put 4 solar panels up ON the control pod. Which means when Mr. Jebb tried to get out, a "collision" occured. And then a bunch of other stuff, including him panicking and deploying the parachute 200.000km in orbit. We still had one engine, so we tried to bring him down, but the Theorem Mk I didn't have a decoupler so you could have only the control pod+parachute. And the parachute wasn't big enough.

But live and learn. Now, my problem. I have no idea how to use electricity! The only electric engine I saw is TINY.

I honestly have no idea how I would do a rendez-vous, but I am hoping to send a manned moon mission at some point.

Man, KSP is becoming absolutely crazily awesome!

Also, yeah, I have no idea how to manoeuvre in space. Right now I need some boosters on... perhaps the idea is to get one of those electric engines so you don't waste precious precious fuel but can turn at minimum effect to orbit?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: December 08, 2012, 11:12:38 am »

it seems that a shielded clamp dor won't attach to another shielded door.  :-\

two launch to remake.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: December 08, 2012, 11:35:01 am »

Spoiler: Spess steshin (click to show/hide)
Here's Space Station 13 along with its first addition, a power module (at the bottom). The core is a tuna can, a storage unit, and two fuel tanks with solar panels all around because it looked spiffy. The docking ports each have an RCS tank to give the clamps a little separation from the rest of the station.
The power module is 40 in-line batteries (each hold 500 charge, for a total of 20,000 charge) on struts to point them outwards, and a strut on each that holds a solar panel for spiffiness (the rear panels don't even catch sunlight).
The station is pointed towards orbit normal so that its broadside is always facing Kerbol for solar collection.

Currently the only use for solar power are the little ion engines, unmanned command modules, and lights. U like to put floodlights on my ships/station that are pointed slightly at it so that it's easier to see in darkness. You can do shift+w or s to angle the lights before placing them to point where you want them to.

Now I just need to think of what else I want to add to this thing...

By the way, F2 hides the hud for screenshot goodness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: December 08, 2012, 12:18:17 pm »

after relaunching both with proper clamps...

I've never been on Moho, for example  :P

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: December 08, 2012, 01:05:18 pm »

I wanted to build a carrier of sorts, where you could dock tinier spaceships and that kind of stuff. I was thinking a mothership for a lunar lander of sorts.

However, I'm stumped with regards to building the lander. I am using the base from my previous gotten-into-orbit Theorem Mk1, but now I wanted to attach another control pod, plus solars, plus engines, plus legs. I was trying to build it vertically as well, but I can't see to do that unless I put a huge fuel-tank sized structure, and I'd like to avoid that. Any ideas?

I'd really like for them to be coupled. The only way I see to do this otherwise is to first send the mothership into orbit. Then send several rockets whose sole purpose is to put semi-autonomous landers in orbit so they can dock with the mothership. The problem with that is managing to rendezvous... that sounds hard!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 848