Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448258 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3090 on: December 15, 2012, 12:34:31 am »

How many lights is that?!
I'm pretty sure I used around twenty of them facing in various directions. :P

Refueling and supplying is going well. I managed to dock a fifty ton refueler with the eight hundred ton big ship!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:15:10 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3091 on: December 15, 2012, 06:41:54 am »

Damn you skyrunner!
Now my space station looks like crap!
must... add... wings...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: December 15, 2012, 09:43:39 am »

how do you see how heavy your ship is?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3093 on: December 15, 2012, 09:47:59 am »

how do you see how heavy your ship is?
I use Payloader to view my weight. The space station that will go to the Mun weighed about 1014 tons, and the refueler about 54 tons.

Hey, at least you guys can dock!

I STILL overshoot every goddamned attempt!
The only way I can see myself docking is if mechjeb gets updated so the rendezvous setting ACTUALLY works.
I have viewed this video by Scott Manley, and it made all the difference between failure and success ;3
Of course, most of the time my rockets ran out of fuel somewhere between ...

Damn you skyrunner!
must... add... wings...
Wings are pretty. It's a proven fact and oh no don't go adding logic to that equation ahhhhhh

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: December 15, 2012, 09:49:06 am »

Kerbals have been transferred and now the shuttle is sent down.

Spoiler: Spinning RAEG (click to show/hide)
Meanwhile, a bug is wreaking havoc with my space plans. >:(
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3095 on: December 15, 2012, 11:41:35 am »

How does a refueller ship work? It carries lots of fuel, docks, then what?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3096 on: December 15, 2012, 11:42:43 am »

How does a refueller ship work? It carries lots of fuel, docks, then what?
transfers fuel to the docked ship...

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3097 on: December 15, 2012, 11:47:39 am »

Damn you skyrunner!
must... add... wings...
Wings are pretty. It's a proven fact and oh no don't go adding logic to that equation ahhhhhh
Personally the wings make it look cluttered to me.

I like Solar panels better in terms of aesthetics. So what if we need only need 2-3 gigantours to power the station? LET'S ADD TWENTY!
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: December 15, 2012, 12:27:48 pm »

I like Solar panels better in terms of aesthetics.

Solar panels are beautiful.
I'm still having trouble getting stuff into orbit, having so far only managed a pair of piddly little satellites. How high do you have to be before the nuclear engine is powerful enough to put you into a stable orbit before you hit the ground?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:32:54 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: December 15, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »

Damn you skyrunner!
must... add... wings...

I like Solar panels better in terms of aesthetics. So what if we need only need 2-3 gigantours to power the station? LET'S ADD TWENTY!

The biggest issue with panels is that they block each other when built along a spine. Spread them out. Circle the planet with a solar belt.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: December 15, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »

Damn you skyrunner!
must... add... wings...

The biggest issue with panels is that they block each other when built along a spine. Spread them out. Circle the planet with a solar belt.

*breathes in*

OUR SOLAR PANELS ARE THE PANELS THAT WILL POWER THE HEAVENS!

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!?!

*"Kerbals, obviously!"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:57:39 pm by Twi »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »

While it is not as fancy ( and probably not as well designed, nor as heavy) as skyrunner's ship, my interplanetary ship Kerbin one continues to be built.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just added a dedicated fuel module which increases capacity to 9000 liquid fuel. it also adds more RCS thrusters, which will be very much needed to spin this thing, and more RCS fuel ( but that will be true of all other modules, since RCS is needed to dock). like RCS, fuel, each new module will most likely add a bit more fuel storage as well.

as time goes on, I find several mistakes in my design, which will be fixed whenever I'll want to build another ship of this size. for example, complete lack of lights. and I should probably have added some more supports.
now I am missing an RCS storage/power module and a crew/communications module module. power module will also likely have docking ports, to allow refueling missions. which is a must if I manage to get it to fly, because I am not going to build more interplanetary ships than strictly needed.

by the way, skyrunner, what kind of engines power your ship?
also, I can't see many docking ports. how big were the modules you sent into orbit? any chance you could show us your launchers?

edit: 2 small notes.
1) I am still surprised by how easy those modules are to dock. much easier than my past ships, in fact. must be better use of docking commands, coupled with lower acceleration thanks to mostly pure RCS thrust and higher mass.

2) I am half worried that the end result will have too many parts and start lagging. still tuns smoothly, but I have much more to add.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:45:40 pm by andrea »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: December 15, 2012, 02:41:36 pm »

I like to go for the simple beauty of visual design in my ships.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It may only barely be able to make it to a 100km orbit, it may be hard to steer when gliding, and may be nigh impossible to land without blowing off the center turbojet engine, but damn does this spaceplane look neat. :) Single-stage-to-orbit, too.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: December 15, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »

Damn you skyrunner!
must... add... wings...

I'd genuinely give 20$ to anyone who bothered building a sphere of connected solar panels surrounding Kerbin. I mean, it'd be the biggest waste of time in the century but god damn would it be amazing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: December 15, 2012, 03:44:42 pm »

ill do it if you buy me the game.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 848