Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448260 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3120 on: December 16, 2012, 02:50:27 am »

Singing rockets you say. This gives me an idea. A gloorrrrious idea. You see, KSP's sound effects are entirely available in that simple 'sounds' folder.

Testing in progress.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3121 on: December 16, 2012, 02:58:05 am »

Singing rockets you say. This gives me an idea. A gloorrrrious idea. You see, KSP's sound effects are entirely available in that simple 'sounds' folder.

Testing in progress.

...Oh my god. No, wait, you are now my god.
*Bows down to you.*
GLORY TO THE LORD ALWAY!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:00:52 am by Twi »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: December 16, 2012, 03:44:01 am »

This seems even better than I had expected; albeit a much bigger PITA than I had hoped. So, the throttle on throttled engines? Yeah, they change the speed at which the sound is played. So you can slow/low pitch and fast/high pitch the music. :P

Though unfortunately, there's a shit-ton of other noises, which I need to figure out how to tune down a bit.

edit: Hrm, it's actually mostly the wind sound that does it. After leaving atmos, sound quality is perfect.

The Mk1 Rin Engine, powered by the magic of Touhou Music is now operational.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:47:45 am by alway »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: December 16, 2012, 03:57:20 am »

Needs to be up on Youtube or something like right the hell now. And then it needs a sound mixer or something. You had me sold at 'Rin' and 'Touhou music'. :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:00:02 am by Twi »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3124 on: December 16, 2012, 04:02:23 am »

Tell me how! Which file is the rocket sound?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: December 16, 2012, 04:13:05 am »

sound_rocket_hard and a bit of sound_rocket_spurts? :P

*Looking at the free version, may not be accurate to 0.18.1 *

If I can get this to work for me, this shall be the sound of my rocket engines. Because as Serenity demonstrated, spaceships should sound like guitars.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:16:18 am by Twi »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3126 on: December 16, 2012, 04:18:32 am »

I found it in a modding guide. Making a custom part right now :3

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: December 16, 2012, 07:05:04 am »

Splash down on Laythe. First time to Jool too, needs alot of fuel to get there...

Spoiler: Nice glow (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Splash down (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3128 on: December 16, 2012, 07:52:21 am »

Couldn't you have used the fuel transfer ability to make the fuel usable?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: December 16, 2012, 07:56:50 am »

Couldn't you have used the fuel transfer ability to make the fuel usable?

Yeah, but who remembers to do that? :P

And he got there, didn't he? :3

As a matter of fact, any mission that gets there is necessarily awesome, even if it involves aerobraking through an ocean. Wait, no, ESPECIALLY if it involves aerobraking through an ocean.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:11:49 am by Twi »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 16, 2012, 08:38:57 am »

I'm still completely failing to land a probe on Eve.

I've been using this calculator but I'm finding it nearly impossible to eyeball the ejection angle. Does anyone have any advice?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:59 am »

Protractor? XP

Also, get your rocket up with more delta-v (i.e, build a bigger rocket) so you don't have to be as precise. Always helps.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: December 16, 2012, 08:50:09 am »

You could use the maneuver nodes. It's easiest to use two or three, one for ejection and one or two for mid-course corrections. You don't even need to be terribly accurate unless you have a very tight delta-v budget.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: December 16, 2012, 09:08:03 am »

Protractor? XP

Also, get your rocket up with more delta-v (i.e, build a bigger rocket) so you don't have to be as precise. Always helps.

The problem with using a protractor is that I can't see both the orbital path of the planet and the position of the ship in orbit simultaneously. If I could see them both I'd just eyeball it like I have been the planetary phase angle.

As for using a bigger rocket: Still not sure how to keep them stable.
I'm using Payloader to put different payloads on top.

You could use the maneuver nodes. It's easiest to use two or three, one for ejection and one or two for mid-course corrections. You don't even need to be terribly accurate unless you have a very tight delta-v budget.
I have been a little but would like to know how to use it more efficiently. Still not sure when it's best to perform the different manoeuvres.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: December 16, 2012, 09:11:28 am »

More struts and SAS and other various stability enhancers. Pop on some boosters on the side, or a lower stage, or both.  I hate to say 'add more stuff', but add more stuff. :P

And... that...is a problem. But if I recall correctly, the view doesn't change directions when you switch map size- 'north' is still 'north', right?

And the other benefit of nodes is that if you mess around you see what effect your maneuvers would have before you actually do them. Mess around enough and you'll surely find the right angle eventually.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:15:48 am by Twi »
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 848