Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448808 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3135 on: December 16, 2012, 09:19:30 am »

Protractor? XP

Also, get your rocket up with more delta-v (i.e, build a bigger rocket) so you don't have to be as precise. Always helps.

The problem with using a protractor is that I can't see both the orbital path of the planet and the position of the ship in orbit simultaneously. If I could see them both I'd just eyeball it like I have been the planetary phase angle.

As for using a bigger rocket: Still not sure how to keep them stable.
I'm using Payloader to put different payloads on top.

You could use the maneuver nodes. It's easiest to use two or three, one for ejection and one or two for mid-course corrections. You don't even need to be terribly accurate unless you have a very tight delta-v budget.
I have been a little but would like to know how to use it more efficiently. Still not sure when it's best to perform the different manoeuvres.

Before the node system I used a physical angle finder on the screen.
I know, pretty low-tech solution.

Now I just guess and used the nodes.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #3136 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:31 am »

It sounds like I'm trying to be too exact and overcomplicating things.

Is it worth having both SAS and ASAS at the same time? I notice there are no large SAS modules which is a little annoying.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3137 on: December 16, 2012, 09:29:51 am »

SAS helps you spin and stop spinning. So it does, but I wosh there was separate buttons for ASAS and SAS.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 16, 2012, 09:31:40 am »

Yes.
ASAS is nothing but an autopilot, which can be immensely useful...if your ship is at least semi-stable in the first place.

SAS actually makes it more inherently stable.

Having separate buttons would indeed be nice, though.

...Wait, we have ACTION GROUPS now! If you feel like messing with those. I haven't checked, but I'm going to guess you can turn SAS/ASAS on/off that way. :P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3139 on: December 16, 2012, 09:33:49 am »

I checked, you can't turn ASAS off or on. Dunno bout SAS.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 16, 2012, 09:36:25 am »

I checked, you can't turn ASAS off or on. Dunno bout SAS.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?

D:

Curse you, reality!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 16, 2012, 09:39:58 am »

The way I understood it was that the SAS modules just provided rotational force, reinforcing all your craft movements while the ASAS is an autopilot that uses the SAS and others to keep the craft in the same direction. Hence you can't turn SAS of, but you can turn ASAS off.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: December 16, 2012, 09:42:11 am »

Problem is that SAS and ASAS are slaved to the same buttons. In reality, you turn them on or off at the same time. And I don't have KSP 0.18.1 on this comp to check what you can do with the action groups.

(Seriously, curse you, reality.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 16, 2012, 09:49:21 am »

SAS appears to be turned on all the time . SAS is just a force multiplier for spaceship movement, just like your command modules and stuff.

That's as far as I know it.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: December 16, 2012, 09:55:18 am »

Unless I'm derping and missing something terribly:

SAS needs to be toggled on and off. And your command module can cause changes in direction- SAS can only resists them. It's like a gyroscope. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. A gyroscope.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3145 on: December 16, 2012, 10:10:39 am »

My understanding:

SAS is toggled. It resists movement, especially spin, when on.
ASAS is toggled. It controls  flaps, vectoring engines, and RCS to correct the ship into the direction it was headed when it was toggled on.
Both turn on at the same time o.O

I would absolutely love an SAS-only button. Stations writhe when they have flaps and ASAS on at the same time. Not good. Also, going EVA automatically switches on both ASAS and SAS, causing writhing again. It almost broke my docked ship off.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:12:10 am by Skyrunner »

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: December 16, 2012, 10:12:08 am »

My understanding:

SAS is toggled. It resists movement, especially spin, when on.
ASAS is toggled. It controls  flaps, vectoring engines, and RCS when RCS is toggled on to correct the ship into the direction it was headed when it was toggled on.
Both turn on at the same time o.O
Slightly fixed.

Yeah, not the most logical of arrangements. XD

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3147 on: December 16, 2012, 10:12:49 am »

It still controls RCS when it's off!
It jst has no effect xD

Also, see edit.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: December 16, 2012, 10:18:34 am »

Ah, yes, I've noticed the EVA-causes-SAS thing. It has greatly annoyed many a youtuber. Me, I haven't gotten that far yet. :P

An SAS-only button would be friggen wonderful.

Or an ASAS-only button, as well, if only for the sake of fairness. Put too many SAS's on a station and it seems to want to wriggle itself to tiny little bits.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3149 on: December 16, 2012, 10:29:30 am »

Oh god, I assumed ASAS was a better version of SAS. I've been putting tons of those on my ship! I guess that might account for some of the difficulty I've been having.......

On the other hand, behold, for great justice!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The mating of the Proposition Mk II and the Theorem Mk II!

Of course, immediately after this I realised I had failed to put any RCS thrusters/fuel and parachutes on the part that's supposed to go back to earth, so of course our brave Kerbonaut took charge of the situation. I could sorta control heading with the main pilot's bay, so I put it in retrograde position, maxed out engines and bailed out.

It took a while to get back to the Orbital Mathematics Research Station, but got back he did. I believe he is now studying the effects of sets of null measure in a vacuum. Hooray, Space Probability Theory!
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 848