Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443861 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

You can't choose it. The only option currently available is sandbox. All the carreer stuff hasn't been implemented yet.

And really, that one is worth it on it's own.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

how well douse hitting abort work?
besides none at all if you dont give it something...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's the point. The computer isn't smart enough to figure out what it needs to do to safe the Kerbals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's the point. The computer isn't smart enough to figure out what it needs to do to safe the Kerbals.

if you put:
chute
capsule + four/eight radial separatron pointed up
coupler

and set the coupler to open up and the separatron to fire as abort sequence you can outrun but the greatest explosions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Abort is just an action group. Put things in the 'abort' action group and it will fire when you click the abort button. You could put an escape tower or some solid boosters in the group, attached to your pod, combined with a decoupler, to detach and jet them away to safety when you hit the abort button

Well, there is a carreer option when creating a new save. Not sure if it does anything. I would find it frustrating to have limited money/stuff myself. And with mods there is tonnes of stuff to do, like map all the planets, build Kethane drilling whatevers everywhere...
I would really enjoy a budget system with scientific or political objectives personally, as well as some sort of research/improvement system. Are there any mods which add in a budget/monetary system?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the advantage of Nuclear engines over normal ones?
They're a great deal more efficient than normal engines, iirc.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the advantage of Nuclear engines over normal ones?
They're a great deal more efficient than normal engines, iirc.

They're only really efficient in vacuum and their thrust is pretty low compared to other engines. However, because of their high efficiency, the total delta-v you can get from them is much greater. Good for interplanetary stages.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Yep. I use 4 of them for my interplanetary transfers.

CosmicOsmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

They're only really efficient in vacuum and their thrust is pretty low compared to other engines. However, because of their high efficiency, the total delta-v you can get from them is much greater. Good for interplanetary stages.

Actually, the way the Isp equation works out, their Isp exceeds 400 at a Kerbin altitude of something like 2000 meters, making them already the most efficient rocket. Their real drawback is their low thrust and high weight, meaning they're only worth using when you've got a lot of fuel (so that the saved fuel weight due to using it more efficiently outweighs the higher engine weight) and a lot of time (so that you don't run out of time for your burn. Basically, that boils down to interplanetary usage.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I just got 0.18.2 recently. And I love it. Absolutely brilliant. However, this game is HARD. I nearly had an aneurysm trying to understand phase angles and escape trajectories and ugh. I've got it now. Usually my plan for orbiting was " POWERRRRRR " But I understand that now too. Anyway, I have KW Rocketry, the Kethane Pack, Novapunch, protractor and mechjeb. Does anyone know any other good mods?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

What, phase angles and calculating trajectories?
You don't really need to know that as far as I know. Just basic orbital mechanics. The effects of burning in the various relative directions, how prograde and retrograde work, nothing that really involves any maths.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Though maths help. A bit

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

the one I like to play most:

kerbal attachment system
mechjeb
orbital construction
docking struts
damned robotics
Control Authority from Off-Center Engines
airships
clever bobcat
Modular Multiwheels

another one which is kinda hard mode for planes but I play only sometimes:
ferram aereospace research

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Not very much though.
Especially with the maneuver planner now, calculating how much to burn isn't really worth it when you can just fiddle with a maneuver node until it's lined up right, then just follow the blue marker.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Fuck yeah, ~20 dead Kerbals and a whole lot of explosions later, I finally managed to rendezvous my nuclear engines + fuel spaceship to my core space station. I would never have managed to do this without MechJeb though :P

The main point of adding those engines to the station is to save one of the two initial Kerbonauts who is orbiting Kerbal on his own >.<. Obviously, Kerbal lives only have value in space, so those 20 dead ones are well worth it.

PS: Is there actually a point using manned spacecraft besides 'cool'?
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 848