Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448182 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Neo doesn't understand how 'in development' works.  They're getting the parts and physics under control before adding campaign mode.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

You know guys, the thing that killed SpaceBuild was when people stopped having fun building ships and flying around in junk and all the scifi ship prefab bullshit and combat centered gameplay came along..

KSP is about fun and experimentation, not lasers and alium battles and spase marheens
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Nobody is forcing you to make combat ships DrPoo...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neo doesn't understand how 'in development' works.  They're getting the parts and physics under control before adding campaign mode.

It isn't that, I just didn't know that was the dirrection they were going.

I thought this was going to stick to being a Spaceship Impossible machine and not Spaceship tycoon.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder what would happen if you ran out of money building metal deathtraps in campaign mode...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They've openly declared on the Squad forums that it'll eventually be about money and goals, being able to accept contract work like "put this news satellite into orbit" for pay and getting government grants for doing a research space station or bringing back Mun rocks and whatever.  Already, a lot of players are streamlining their 'serious' rocket designs to fly cheap and to put parachutes on parts, because eventually recovering parts means being able to re-use parts, and that reduces overhead cost.  Fuel is also a concern, later, because it won't be free, so anyone who's already designing careful fuel use will have an advantage once campaign mode sets in.

The game will ALWAYS have free build mode, though.  That's just been too much to clip it out of the final version.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

They also stated that they will never add combat to the game. The lack of actual combat parts is probably what makes combat so fun in this game xD.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

As such things go, fuel isn't much of an expense compared to the cost of parts. SSTO and recycling gets much more attractive.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Remember that big transport ship I created a while back? I finished refueling it with horrible FPS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turned out, however, with those two spaceplanes docked the engines of the ship became terribly inefficient that even full throttle would be painful. Furthermore, a single docking port was highly unstable for high-thrust maneuvers. Instead, I had to undock the spaceplanes and send them separately. Our target?

Wasn't too hard with the new adjustments, just had to start off with multiple slow jerks instead of one big jerk.

I was however, still using too much fuel than intended but in the end it worked out. Sort of. By the time I reached Duna I noticed I would never be able enter orbit with the fuel consumption/impulse I had. A compromise was found.

In the end, we all entered orbit. At the cost of no return.

Shortly followed by one of the Populators.

Since the fuel reserves of the Populator were quite low, I decided to try to land it first as a benchmark. A "transfer orbit" was devised.

The approach seemed reasonable...

There was still no sign of the atmosphere thus a small final retrothrust...

Then I found it, but Duna was a far harsher mistress than I realized.

"No Oxygen" - Epitaph of the Populator
In a last-ditch effort to salvage something, I tried gliding my way down. But it was all for naught as I couldn't counter the vertical velocity.

With the Populator having had received an early retirement, it was time to move on and send down the Colonials. The first Colonial I lowered itself to a 430 km orbit and detached its two probes. One landed intact, the other broke its solar panel.

Then I tried landing the actual colony module, which began the eternal torment of Ike whom always interfered with my orbits.

The module, however, didn't survive the crash landing on Duna. I had once again underestimated Duna. The atmosphere twisted the module that tore apart the parachutes.
Attempting another landing with a different Colonial I didn't change the outcome. A direct landing approach on Duna was inadvisable. For the third Colonial I I attempted an aerobraking maneuver. I came in low on the far side of Duna and hoped the atmosphere would cut down on the orbital velocity. The low atmosphere of Duna wasn't thick enough. Only option left was a partial, powered descent.

One small step for Kerbal, one giant leap for Kerbalkind.

I attempted a similar approach with the final Colonial I with greater success.

With the ground firmly secured, it was time to launch the satellites, one at 100 km, the other at 500 km.

Lastly, the rovers. They followed a similar approach as the Colonial I.

I took one of the rovers for a spin towards a Colonial I module.

All in all, a success despite the early retirements of a few Kerbalnauts. Now I just need to find a way to bring a few Kerbals back to Kerbin...

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

good luck.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hereby put forth a challenge to any interested!

Your craft must be 100 tons or less.
Whoever gets the largest tonnage into orbit wins.
Only mods allowed are Mechjeb, Protractor, and other 'not changing how your rocket works' type mods - ie, no new engines or fuel tanks or wings or whatever.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I hereby put forth a challenge to any interested!

Your craft must be 100 tons or less.
Whoever gets the largest tonnage into orbit wins.
Only mods allowed are Mechjeb, Protractor, and other 'not changing how your rocket works' type mods - ie, no new engines or fuel tanks or wings or whatever.
Any restrictions on staging?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Girlinhat, how high must the orbit be?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

i think atleast 80 km...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stable orbit, no other restrictions.  This is a test of efficiency, to see how well you can lift a mass.  The highest weight in orbit wins - Mechjeb can be good for this to help get an accurate tonnage measure on the fly.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 848