Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448240 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Which mod is that? KSP Interstellar has nuke reactors with outputs in the MW/GW/sec range (1000 electric charge = 1MW) and could solve your charge issues. Though they are quite heavy.

It has antimatter reactors too... but antimatter is very time and energy intensive to collect/generate.
The mod is the Near Future Propulsion Pack, which suits me far better than KSP Interstellar. An in-system warp drive, no matter how hard to set up, kinda breaks the sense of achievement in exploration.

VASIMRs and MPDs are more interesting. ^_^
I haven't actually used the FTL drive in that mod. I'm more interested in the science/upgrade system and the realistic reactors. It also has an internal fusion drive which changes ISP depending on the throttle.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I'm wondering...

If I send a rover to the mun first and transmit back data, will I then have 'used up' the data in that area such that an EVA would be useless? Or will EVA data be different?
It seems that there's a number of different sources of science - crew pods, EVA reports, soil/water samples, goo pods, and in-line science chambers (the ones I saw displayed) and each of these are unique.  Thus the minimum to get a 'decent' sample would be a manned mission with a goo and science.  Each of these appears to stack separately, and when you get plenty of goo readings while on Mun you still have no idea what the soil sample is like.

Transmitting data back via radio gives a lower science reward - you can only transmit so much knowledge on a rock sample before the scientists at home need to run more advanced tests in a lab, so you only get like 20% of the science for describing the shape, size, density, scratch test, etc.  If you get it back and recover, then scientists can do tests on the chemical composition and formation and all the more detailed tests, giving you 100% science recovery.  Crew reports, on the other hand, sound the same in person as on a record tape, "It's dark cold no air."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

The mod is the Near Future Propulsion Pack, which suits me far better than KSP Interstellar. An in-system warp drive, no matter how hard to set up, kinda breaks the sense of achievement in exploration.

Oh man, I've been looking for a mod like that for a long time! Thanks!

Finally, polished, nice-looking reactors for my spaceships.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:58:55 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The system is pretty realistic in that probe missions are much easier(and don't need to come back), while netting way less science than an actual manned mission would, just like real life.

And do TONS of crew reports, and send it back home!

I am kinda getting my nerve up to casting my first 2 hours with the new version, to see if it's really that easy.
Do you guys think that a web-cam is a must? or does it just take up space from the beautiful explosions rockets?

I agree that they are waaaaaaay slow, I find myself manually timewarping the video for them...
Also, I have yet to see any of them making a straight burn to orbit, come on! This isn't is rocket science!

I wonder if you can load all the science you have into a probe heading back to Kerbin while the ships flies on?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Well, not really. Crewed missions don't need to come back either.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Streaming is more about acting than it is about gameplay.  Your ability to talk and keep an audience.  I personally don't like the webcam boxes people put on streams, kinda boring to just watch them watch a screen for 2 hours...

Sending science back manually will be a great way to transfer things, this has been all but confirmed.  Sending a large science vessel, then sending a small probe to fetch and retrieve the science is going to be very valid.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, not really. Crewed missions don't need to come back either.

They need to come back to harvest all the juicy science!

Also, Kerbal graveyard! It actually records the Kerbals you've killed, so finally a reason to take more care a the little buggers.
Probes though...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Oh man, I've been looking for a mod like that for a long time! Thanks!

Finally, polished, nice-looking reactors for my spaceships.
It also just updated, apparently. Added 3 new high-density solar panels, and 3 new high-capacity stack batteries to ease on the part counts.

The best thing in that mod, in my opinion, is how well it blends in with the stock look.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

There's a couple mods that are going to go really well with .22's science system, and the Near Future pack and Kethane are both going to be really important. Same with Kerbal Attachment System, too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My science plan is:
1. Orbital satellite or three over Kerbin.
2. Manned landings of rovers on Kerbin, with abuse of the recover button, and being upgraded with every new part unlocked.
3. Orbit satellite or five over Mun.
4. Probe on Mun.
Since I haven't ever reached 4 before, I don't have a five. But the sky isn't the limit.

Also, ank. Ask yourself this: Does the webcam add anything?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You will not have probes when the game starts(also, no batteries, or solars), so satellites right off the bat is impossible.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really? Damn. Hope they give us parachutes.

Wait, we cant use batteries, then are rovers even viable?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tech progression roughly goes in development progression.  You start off with little tanks, engines, and I think the smallest SRB.  Later on you get wings, struts, probes, solar panels, and rover wheels, roughly in that order.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Think Sputnik for your first satellite.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can do science on Kerbin. Not much, but you can do something within the atmosphere.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 848