Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448799 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do the old sensors (thermometer, barometer, etc.) give science?

Yes. Not much, though. Barometer does nothing in vacuum. I get 8 or so science max from ground to high orbit Kerbin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This barely gets to munar orbit and back. Well, this minus the solars/temp/barometer.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:39:10 pm by BigD145 »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Holy science points, batman! For massive science points fairly early on, get a craft to just beyond kerbin escape velocity. Research from sun-relative space has a base value of 10, and so goo gives 100 on the first go. When you finish collection, just thrust a little bit so you fall back into Kerbin gravity, then fall safely back to the surface. Got over 350 science from a single mission.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Holy science points, batman! For massive science points fairly early on, get a craft to just beyond kerbin escape velocity. Research from sun-relative space has a base value of 10, and so goo gives 100 on the first go. When you finish collection, just thrust a little bit so you fall back into Kerbin gravity, then fall safely back to the surface. Got over 350 science from a single mission.

I just did this accidentally trying to get to minmus. Got over 600 points in one mission. Woohoo!

I also happened to encounter Mun on the way down. Extra EVA research (which doesn't have a limit as far as I can tell)! Woohoo!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

So, uh... The science thing sometimes confuses me.

Mostly these two points: How many data can I hold in my capsule at once? Obviously I have to expunge/transmit a crew report to get a new one (or does the "expunge" just wipe it from the screen, and store the data in the capsule, there to be recovered in the final vehicle recover?), but what about Goo reports? Do those stack? Get a goo report on the ground, then go up into space and reset the goo and get another report. Does it over-write the first report or is it in the capsule somewhere, waiting for the final recovery?

Also: If I transmit a 40% report of science, what happens to the other 60%? Can I recover it with another transmission? Either on the first vehicle or a subsequent one? If not, can I get it by getting the data again in another vehicle and recovering that one? Or is that last 60% lost forever?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:56:07 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Goo reports stay in the goo capsule. I haven't transmitted much science wirelessly, I've done it almost entirely through recovery, so iono.

EDIT: I would have liked to know about this a few hours ago (top)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:07:08 pm by Putnam »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Near Mun temp is worth 24 science.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
If you transmit anything you only get the %, with the rest lost.  Landing will not provide the remaining.  If you are going to land, land and recover.  I only have antenna on for emergencies.

As far as I can tell everything holds one use of data (one crew member eva per member, one goo use per goo can, ect.)  The things like goo cans and science Jr do not hold their data in the capsule but the object them selves.  So you need to recover the entire science component of your ship to get all of it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Having fun with this, but I have to go to bed :(.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I suspect KAS will become relevant somewhat soon.  Being able to transfer a few goo canisters to a small probe, and sending the probe back to Kerbin would be MUCH more efficient than returning a whole vessel...

Then again, there's no real reason to leave a whole vessel out.  You just have to briefly visit an area and get back to get the sciences.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

-snip-
If you transmit anything you only get the %, with the rest lost.  Landing will not provide the remaining.  If you are going to land, land and recover.  I only have antenna on for emergencies.

As far as I can tell everything holds one use of data (one crew member eva per member, one goo use per goo can, ect.)  The things like goo cans and science Jr do not hold their data in the capsule but the object them selves.  So you need to recover the entire science component of your ship to get all of it.
Hmm. Well, the latter is fucking obvious, but I guess the former means I gotta put more than 1 goo can if I'm planning a multi-goo expedition.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I suspect KAS will become relevant somewhat soon.  Being able to transfer a few goo canisters to a small probe, and sending the probe back to Kerbin would be MUCH more efficient than returning a whole vessel...

Then again, there's no real reason to leave a whole vessel out.  You just have to briefly visit an area and get back to get the sciences.
Why would you need KAS? Just build your rocket with the crew-pod, then stick a probe-body on the top and put your goo-pods on the probe body. Do your goo scans, de-couple the probe manually, and control from the stayputnik and get it back home. Then go back to your rocket and go on your merry way.

Edit: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53170-Science-Question-When-How-do-diminished-returns-kick-in-with-radio-transmissions Woot, so there's no reason -not- to transmit. You'll either crash and burn and get -some- science, or you'll recover it and get the total you would have gotten from a straight recovery.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:00:56 am by Descan »

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For an added early kick, I found that you can generate an EVA report while floating above every biome on Kerbin. Each seems to be worth around 8 science. I got ~100 science on my first orbital mission by doing so.

Guess Bob was remarking on the view from up in space.

The capsule holds a seemingly unlimited amount of EVA reports too. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

So, wasn't paying attention, ended up going out of kerbin's grav well while attempting to go to Mun. So instead I went to Duna.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Worked out a lot better than could usually be expected for a craft designed for orbitting round the Mun. Got a hella sweet trajectory lined up for an atmos deceleration, a mere 4.75 km from the surface after adjusting up a bit for safety; ended up going into Duna's moon's influence too. The actual landing was survived, though the craft was ripped apart when the chutes deployed. The tip landed safely, putting my first Kerbal on Duna; the 2 other pieces of debris that survived can be seen far off in the background. Unfortunately, no transmitters survived, since those were on the body because I was dumb.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Spammy science probes are the best.

But you lose lot of science not returning things and the payoff if you later return with a salvageable craft you will get the science reduced and all research is lost forever

This gives me lot of anxiety what if I saste too much science and I can't unlock everything?

So now I always either return the experiment or abandon it.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 848