Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448650 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Oh. Sorry.
Nothing important here, move along.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

And even with the new version I continue my trend of being completely unable to get a space plane to orbit, or even to fly high in the atmosphere.
Any tips?
I've tried these things:
Tons of air intake.
Large amounts of thrust.

Does the position of the center of thrust matter?
Are too many intakes a bad thing?
Which jet engines are the best to use and for what?
Should I fit as much lift as humanly possible on a space plane, or will a simply decent amount suffice?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I've found, its more proper intake, and a proper gain of altitude that makes or breaks a space plane. Take it up to fast, crash, to slow, same story.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I feel like I'm totally ready for a moon mission, but... when the hell do you unlock ladders? You'd think they would come along with landing gear. Without ladders, landing gear is basically useless.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I feel like I'm totally ready for a moon mission, but... when the hell do you unlock ladders? You'd think they would come along with landing gear. Without ladders, landing gear is basically useless.
On the moon you can get back in your ship using the suit's rcs thrusters. You don't need ladders.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Can't seem to be able to get to the mun with enough fuel to land and return. I also regularly end up with very bad inclination. Watched some videos of others doing it and even using their designs I run out of fuel. I suspect I'm losing out because I'm not very efficient. Practice makes perfect I guess.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:21:25 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Try for minmus first. Its actually easier...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Woo.. Probodyne II, my first solar probe, just escaped Kerbin after a close flyby of and slingshot aroun the mun.

It has goo onboard and we are studying the effects of solar radiation on it. SCIENCE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

And even with the new version I continue my trend of being completely unable to get a space plane to orbit, or even to fly high in the atmosphere.
Any tips?
I've tried these things:
Tons of air intake.
Large amounts of thrust.

Does the position of the center of thrust matter?
Are too many intakes a bad thing?
Which jet engines are the best to use and for what?
Should I fit as much lift as humanly possible on a space plane, or will a simply decent amount suffice?
Took me a while to figure out aerodynamics at all.  For a spaceplane, you generally want...
Your center of mass near the center.
Your center of thrust in a direct line with your center of mass (forwards or backwards is fine, but if the thrust is above mass, then your craft will end up pointing downwards).
Your center of lift slightly behind your center of mass.

The more wings and thus more lift you have, the easier your ship will fly and the easier it'll move without having to use rockets to simply push through the air - you want a 'powered glide' as your goal.  If your COM is too far forward, you'll flip.  If your COT is off axis of the COM then it'll curve in the opposite direction.  If the COL is forward of the COM then it'll flip.

Spread the landing gears far apart for increased stability and less chance of veering off the runway, as well as an SAS to help prevent veering.

For simple spaceplanes all you want is to go high and fast, you should need minimal control surfaces since you don't intend to actually steer.  Still feel free to stack multiple tail fins or control surfaces to increase your lift in the rear and aid in overall control.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep trying new tech trees and every time so far I've had Jeb jump out on the first flight to try to get Eva data while falling.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Thanks for the advice.
A few more questions:
What are Aerospike engines best for?
And do the different types of air intake work differently? For example, the Ram Intake's description mentions best use at high altitudes, I don't remember what the circular intake says.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Efficiency. Its near NERVA levels but with thrust.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Aerospike is unique in that it works the same at all altitudes.  So it's an efficient engine that can actually lift you without wasting fuel due to thick atmosphere, and will get you going pretty good speed and fuel economy overall.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Best used in groups of nine where you would put a mainsail.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

More air intakes is mostly good, but you also have to note that they increase drag quite a bit too, so it sometimes is a good idea to have a control button that allows you to toggle most of your intakes to an off position, So you can turn them off on the runway where the air is thick enough to only need one or two, and then turn the extras on when the air gets thinner and yer air intake is getting low.

I often go up as quickly as my plane can take me after liftoff until about 10000 meters or so, and then reduce my angle until I'm gaining only about 10 meters of altitude every second or so.  This keeps the speed steadily increasing as well as your altitude, go up too fast and your engines run out of air because yer not going fast enough to make up for the thinner air, too slow and yer using up fuel. (this method may actually be a bit on the slow side, but it got me into space more often than not)

Depending on your design, up this high you may have to keep your nose up quite a bit higher than your direction of movement, haven't really looked up why, but I figure it's because the thinner air reduces how much lift yer getting from your wings, and yer engines have to keep you up more directly.

As the air gets thinner and thinner there's less drag keeping you from accelerating, and you should eventually reach a speed of about 1000m a second or so.  When you hit that it's almost time to turn on the rockets, try to eek any more speed you possibly can with the air breathing engines.  Then right when you think they are about to cut out, kill the jets, toggle all the air intakes off, kick on the rockets, and pull up for space.  Once yer AP is out of atmosphere, add another 1000m a second to your orbital speed and you should be in orbit.

EDIT: Derp these are in m/sec not km/sec :P
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:26:20 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 848