Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448698 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Speaking of, anyone know the mod(s) that enables slower time?  I've seen 1/32 time warp used on the youtubes, and would like to get some megalarge ships to orbit that physics don't enjoy normally...

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you already set max delta-t per frame down to the lowest (0.3)?

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you already set max delta-t per frame down to the lowest (0.3)?

O.o *googles*

Quote from: Google
Go to settings and look for the slider that sets "Max Physics Delta-time Per Frame" and set it all the way to the right (0.3).
This will cause the game to slow down time to do physics calculations instead of lower the framerate while it calculates.

I never knew about that.  Changing that as soon as I get home.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's definitely time warp then, I'm guessing. Bloody fucking hell this is DEFINITELY something they should tell you, especially since "coming in for a parachute landing" is exactly the sort of situation where I would want to use time wrap. >_<

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Err, the game actually pop-ups a warning when you time warp :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have no clue what you're talking about. What warning? I've never seen a warning.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have no clue what you're talking about. What warning? I've never seen a warning.
The first time you try to turn on physwarp it pops up a warning, telling you it's unstable, and has the option to dismiss the warning or turn off the warning for good.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't remember that ever happening. Hmm.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Physwarp is completely random. It seems to change with each update.

Last update, it was pretty stable. I was able to safely deploy parachutes at full physwarp without incident, for the full landing.
The update before, it wasn't.

Now it's back to being unstable again. Go figure.

Best case is to deploy the parachute, go full warp until you're close to the ground, then turn it off and wait for the parachute to deploy. Then you're free to turn it back up to get to the ground.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I'd like to see some of the sub-ton probes and rovers, actually...
The Near Future pack allows for some reasonably lightweight probes.

Even with the recent nerf to engine efficiency and tank capacity (bringing both down to more reasonably realistic levels), it's still quite good. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking forward to getting the NFP stuff once I get to it on the tech tree.

Right now I'm struggling with building a rocket that can carry a decent lander to the Mun.  I suppose I should just stop trying to use solid boosters altogether, since I can't seem to add enough to get me to orbit with a decent amount of fuel left for the transfer.  I'll also try using a higher engine/fuel tank ratio.

On a side note, it'd be nice if the ship builder would remember that you only want ONE kerbal in your ship, not three.  Every time I revert to the VAB and tweak it I suddenly have 3 kerbals again.  Can't rescue a guy if the seats are already taken...

EDIT:  Just saw your second screenshot, Sean, and remembered that I installed Kerbal Engineer but I keep forgetting to actually use it.  That would probably help my rocket building woes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:27:29 pm by Canisaur »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SRBs are useful for very heavy rockets.  For simple lander missions, not needed.  What you really want, is some mod that enables Dv and TWR recording (Mechjeb or Engineer).  Your ascent stage should aim for a TWR of 2 or so, just as a good baseline (there's more complicated rules with the terminal velocity, but just rule of thumb, go for 2 TWR).  When you're out of atmosphere, you generally want ~2,000 Dv to get to Mun or Minmus, land, and return.  Due to lower gravity, TWR isn't as important for a lander, it's kind of difficult to be too heavy if you've just got a pod and science, as even a single 909 will land it with ease.  Minmus is an easier landing, because lower gravity.  Despite being so far out, the burn to change orbit isn't bad, and the landing is MUCH easier, as is the takeoff.  The tricky part is the inclination.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SRBs are used primarily to get you out of the thickest part of the atmosphere. If you're using SRBs in space for actual non-messing about stuff, you're doing it wrong. horribly right.

boosters are the most kerbal of any propulsion methods

the only thing that could possibly be more kerbal is an engine made exclusively out of struts, and fueled exclusively by struts, prone to overheating when looked at wrong and with a 90% chance to spontaneously evolve a gimbal vectorer that you can't control just to spite you and everything you love

i want an engine made out of struts now

SRBs are useful for very heavy rockets.  For simple lander missions, not needed.  What you really want, is some mod that enables Dv and TWR recording (Mechjeb or Engineer).  Your ascent stage should aim for a TWR of 2 or so, just as a good baseline (there's more complicated rules with the terminal velocity, but just rule of thumb, go for 2 TWR).  When you're out of atmosphere, you generally want ~2,000 Dv to get to Mun or Minmus, land, and return.  Due to lower gravity, TWR isn't as important for a lander, it's kind of difficult to be too heavy if you've just got a pod and science, as even a single 909 will land it with ease.  Minmus is an easier landing, because lower gravity.  Despite being so far out, the burn to change orbit isn't bad, and the landing is MUCH easier, as is the takeoff.  The tricky part is the inclination.

assume five thousand m/s to get out of the atmosphere and run with that. how you apply it is a software rather than hardware problem as long as twr is above 1.1 - since the guy's already getting a plugin which calculates twr, the Dv available is just a click away
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:35:46 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

SRBs are used primarily to get you out of the thickest part of the atmosphere. If you're using SRBs in space for actual non-messing about stuff, you're doing it wrong. horribly right.

boosters are the most kerbal of any propulsion methods

the only thing that could possibly be more kerbal is an engine made exclusively out of struts, and fueled exclusively by struts, prone to overheating when looked at wrong and with a 90% chance to spontaneously evolve a gimbal vectorer that you can't control just to spite you and everything you love

i want an engine made out of struts now
Search the KSP forums for "FTL Egg".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Or look for it in Scott Manley's list of videos.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 848