Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448816 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7050 on: November 07, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »

proper link

Also, Inaccessible bothers me a bit. At the equator, it spins faster than its escape velocity. That ain't possible :I

Neither is the entire Kerbol system. I just take it in stride at this point.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:44:40 pm by Glloyd »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7051 on: November 08, 2013, 01:26:52 am »

proper link

Also, Inaccessible bothers me a bit. At the equator, it spins faster than its escape velocity. That ain't possible :I
Sure it is. It would need to have been a metallic-core planet(oid) after a massive collision with something else. All the silica and molten metal would be tossed off with the spin acquired, but the solid core could remain together through the tensile strength of metal. Just like any typical asteroid can spin faster than its escape velocity, as long as the rock it's made of is strong enough.

I doubt the Inaccessable is designed or meant to be anything like that, but that would be a good explanation.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: November 08, 2013, 02:13:40 am »

proper link

Sure it is. It would need to have been a metallic-core planet(oid) after a massive collision with something else. All the silica and molten metal would be tossed off with the spin acquired, but the solid core could remain together through the tensile strength of metal. Just like any typical asteroid can spin faster than its escape velocity, as long as the rock it's made of is strong enough.

I doubt the Inaccessable is designed or meant to be anything like that, but that would be a good explanation.

I believe it's designed to be a comet, so that may help explain why it's spinning so fast.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: November 08, 2013, 02:36:35 am »

Ice has only about 17% of the tensile strength of aluminum though... and comets are dusty as hell, so it'd be shedding like crazy if it were spinning that fast.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: November 08, 2013, 03:04:11 am »

proper link

Neither is the entire Kerbol system. I just take it in stride at this point.
True. What we need is now also munlit, a jool moon which is a cube.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: November 08, 2013, 03:38:30 am »

So in order to land on Inaccessible you'd have to do a very low fly-by, at the rotational velocity, then burn down to land (!?), and keep burning down to stay landed?

Or just land at the poles I guess?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: November 08, 2013, 03:46:21 am »

Yeah, you'll get flung off due to the faster-than-escape-velocity speeds at the surface. You need to land near the pole.

Check it out.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:54 am »

So looks like your best bet for a base is in orbit. Because fuck the surface.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: November 08, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »

Yeah, you'll get flung off due to the faster-than-escape-velocity speeds at the surface. You need to land near the pole.

Check it out.

I was thinking about it being possible to land near the equator if you just had enough friction with the ground.
The rotation is not pushing you upwards, but rather sideways, so with enough landing legs planted it should be possible to stay stuck to the surface.
Then again, it might turn out you'd need millions of legs or something.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7059 on: November 08, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »

Or just use anchors and grapples from KAS

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »

KAS has an anchor and grappling hook. Worth testing, just not me. I'm busy making a kethane base on the Mun. Also part clipping and hiding stuff in stuff.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:22:57 pm by BigD145 »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: November 08, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »

Check it out.

I was thinking about it being possible to land near the equator if you just had enough friction with the ground.
The rotation is not pushing you upwards, but rather sideways, so with enough landing legs planted it should be possible to stay stuck to the surface.
Then again, it might turn out you'd need millions of legs or something.

Let g be the planet's gravitation at your current position, ω be the planet's rotation speed (in radians per time unit), R be the distance from the center of mass to your landing position, α be the global latitude, and β be the local latitude (the angle between the equator and your local surface normal).
To keep staying on the ground without hooks, you need an acceleration of at least ωēRcos(α) to the axis of rotation. Let's put this in a coordinate system so we can use 2D vectors. The acceleration required is a1 = (-ωēRcos(α), 0), and the planet's gravity provides a2 = (-gcos(α), -gsin(α)). The difference a1 - a2 = (gcos(α)-ωēRcos(α), gsin(α)) needs to be covered by surface friction. For this to be possible, we need tan(ß) to be greater than (ωēR/g - 1)cot(α). For α=ß (landing on a horizontal surface), we get tanē(α) > ωēR/g - 1, or cosē(α) < g/ωēR.

In case of Inaccessable, g = 1.18 m/sē, ω=0.0143, R = 15000, so you can only stay on horizontal surfaces in latitudes greater than around 52°, although you'll need to go at least above 75° unless you have a buttload of friction to spare.

/physics
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:21:27 pm by MagmaMcFry »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: November 08, 2013, 08:21:18 pm »

It really ought to be rockier than it is, since all the loose dust would get flung off.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: November 08, 2013, 08:25:40 pm »

I still need to fiddle with the tech-tree for Kethane and KAS, as well as Quantum Struts... >_>

The other mods I have area already techified (I think? Is Relay Tech tree-ified?) or don't involve parts...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: November 08, 2013, 08:32:41 pm »

It really ought to be rockier than it is, since all the loose dust would get flung off.
In fact, the solid rock near the equator should get flung off too, since it's under about the same stress as a pencil lead lifting an orca whale.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 848