Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448789 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7260 on: November 14, 2013, 12:41:06 pm »

Can you drill for Kethane on an hexe you haven't surveyed?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7261 on: November 14, 2013, 12:41:50 pm »

Can you drill for Kethane on an hexe you haven't surveyed?
Blindly, sure.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: November 14, 2013, 12:44:33 pm »

And I take it you need to be around for your rig to drill...

Well, I found a neat patch of Kethane (480k) at the Mun Equator. As soon as I've got the refiner part, I'm gonna send a semi-permanent colony to survey all of the Moon's biomes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: November 14, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »

Jeb? Why did you sneak onto this mission? It's a one way mission...probably.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: November 14, 2013, 12:51:24 pm »

He's Jeb. Resistance is futile.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: November 14, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »

This is basically how I got all my immortals off-planet. They sneak onto a permanent installation in space.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: November 14, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »

Anyone know of a good way or mod for 4-way probe adapters?  Basically, there's already the 3m->1m quad adapter, but I'd like a 1m->.5m quad adapter, so I can more easily put things like ion drives onto vessels...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:42 pm »

Yeah, managed my first round trip to another world! Since the Mun is obviously cursed, it was done on Minmus. The sweet, sweet science let me buy the Kethane detector, and I now have one satellite orbiting Kerbin and another around the Mun. Now, I have one question: do the satellite only detect when it's the active ship?
[snip image]

another dramatic back light shot.
yep. can't see a thing in this one, like in the others.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: November 14, 2013, 01:17:46 pm »

I got Jeb home on a little more than just fumes. I fail at KSP. :(

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: November 14, 2013, 01:27:11 pm »

Alright, tried testing on the Mun, but got distracted by trying something absolutely insane:
Trying to intake air on the Mun? Otherwise I don't see it...

Trying to use radial intakes as lithobrakes. On Kerbin they're good for at least 50 m/s impacts, in the right configuration. But I got distracted by doing an extremely low orbit.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: November 14, 2013, 01:27:11 pm »

Sounds like you're doing very well.  If you return with no fuel, then you've made a perfectly balanced flight!  If you've got spare fuel, then you're pushing around more weight than you need to.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: November 14, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »

I prefer to think of having extra fuel as "room for fuckups".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: November 14, 2013, 01:30:02 pm »

I prefer to think of extra fuel as 'still not enough' because I usually end up spending it all making mistakes then trying to fix those mistakes and failing.
Nothing important here, move along.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: November 14, 2013, 01:44:02 pm »

Sounds like you're doing very well.  If you return with no fuel, then you've made a perfectly balanced flight!  If you've got spare fuel, then you're pushing around more weight than you need to.

Jeb was not supposed to come home at all. My lander was a 5 engine deal, with one central and 4 side. The side ones, with small tanks and landing legs, were on radial decouplers so I could shift fuel to the central column and leave the dead weight behind. I wasn't sure I had fuel for Jeb but I did.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: November 14, 2013, 03:15:27 pm »

Was making a second attempt at a Duna or Bust mission.   It ended up with bust when I figured it would be a really bright idea to manually decouple spent fuel tanks while the engines were on.  Naturally the ship went unto a tumble when the center of mass suddenly shifted, smacking the main engines into the spent fuel tank blowing them both up and scattering debris like confetti half way through the kerbin escape burn.

Fortunately the lander was unharmed, so I just decoupled that from the smouldering remains of the transfer engines and used the lander's engine to cancel escape velocity and get back to kerbin.  I thought it was a disaster averted.

Then I figured, "Huh I still have half a tank of fuel left, I might as well adjust my trajectory so I land near the Space Center."

So I did the stupidest thing ever.  I brought my orbital speed close to 0 over the space center and let her drop.  I came in waaaaayyyyy too fast and too steep, I was still hurtling straight towards the ground at mach 1.5 at 2000 meters up.  Pulled the chute in desperation but it was just ripped off, and Seegan "landed" at the space center at roughly mach 0.9. 

I'm sure the impact buried him for me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 848