Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448633 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7665 on: December 18, 2013, 03:24:00 pm »

The main challenge here is getting the plane above 5000 m.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7666 on: December 18, 2013, 04:13:02 pm »

Unless they changed it in this release, which i can't play yet, those radial attached intakes will stop providing any airflow at all well before you get to flameout. but they won't hesitate to provide drag...
Mechjeb is pretty decent here with 'control intakes' option.  It'll automatically close and open intakes to balance drag.

That only works with closable intakes, which those are not.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: December 18, 2013, 04:24:34 pm »

It sounds like it's time to strap an external command seat to a bunch of SRB's and send someone into space. But who to send?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:49 pm »

It sounds like it's time to strap an external command seat to a bunch of SRB's and send someone into space. But who to send?

OOH ME! PICK ME! PICK ME! ME! ME! MEEEEE!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: December 18, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »

Kurt is orbiting Duna. I'll go with Bill.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: December 18, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »

That only works with closable intakes, which those are not.

They, and all intakes are closeable. However drag isn't reduced to zero when closing an intake.
Magma is overrated.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: December 18, 2013, 06:54:09 pm »

Noticed something interesting -- the Science Archives track EVA reports when flying (not just orbiting, but flying in atmosphere) over biomes. 

You can only get science once, but it tracks each biome you do it in and records the zero-science-value.

Something for completionists, i suppose.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: December 18, 2013, 06:55:31 pm »

I though each Kerbin biome had it's own pool of science data?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: December 18, 2013, 06:57:51 pm »

Yeah but only when you're on the ground.

In the air, you can only get EVA reports. Otherwise it's just "Kerbins High Atmosphere" or "Kerbin Low Orbit"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:47 pm »

What happened to "High over Kerbin's water" or "High over Kerbin's ice sheets"?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: December 18, 2013, 07:01:52 pm »

What happened to "High over Kerbin's water" or "High over Kerbin's ice sheets"?
Yes, but not for EVA Reports, IIRC. All of them are the same 'this is a bad idea' thing. :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: December 18, 2013, 07:06:17 pm »

Identical text still gives you science...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: December 18, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »

I though each Kerbin biome had it's own pool of science data?

depends on the sensor. temperature gets a whole space near kerbin; gravity gets a different response while orbiting for each biome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: December 18, 2013, 08:39:58 pm »

I've been using my lander to get two sets of Mun and Minmus data each mission. Land, liftoff and coast, land, take off and return to Kerbin. It's just a one tall tank and four half that with legs. The four are detachable. When I liftoff to go home I often have a full tall tank. It cuts down on near Kerbin missions. There is more than enough fuel to plop down anywhere on Kerbin and grab some surface samples. Two sets like that plus touchdown on Kerbin yields about 1100+ science.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:49:31 pm by BigD145 »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: December 18, 2013, 09:43:00 pm »

The new EVA data transferring is awesome.

I had a command pod and lander in orbit around Minmus, and I made some trips back and forth storing data in the command pod. Much science was had, though there could have been more if I hadn't gotten lazy and gone home, despite the lander having about 60% fuel left.

Ah'll be back, Minmus,
Pages: 1 ... 510 511 [512] 513 514 ... 848