Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448238 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you go to Duna to land, get up again, then have enough fuel to pass by Eve and land on Gilly (which is damn hard btw) and can still make it home, you brought too much.

I didnt bring enough. 

My first interplanetary craft went to Eve, aerobraked (was trying to capture but failed), missed Gilly (was hoping for an EVA touchdown), but was able to eyeball a Jool encounter out of the resulting trajectory.

Encountered Jool, aerobraked, encountered three moons (not enough DV to orbit and EVA to the smaller ones, but radioed back some orbital EVA reports).

Currently orbiting Jool in a highly elliptical fashion, with barely a trickle of fuel left.  I was hoping to get this thing back to Kerbin, but I think unless I find a better way to calculate gravity assists and transfer windows, the little guy is doomed.

I did the whole thing by eyeballing nodes and without waiting for planets to line up for good windows.

It has been flying with nothing but an atomic rocket motor and a couple of batteries and a radio -- no solar was available when I launched him so he cant recharge without thrusting, didnt have any RCS or any scientific instruments.  Little dude is a hero.

Just not enough gas to get home.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

atomic rocket motor

no solar was available when I launched him

what bullshit tech tree is this

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you go to Duna to land, get up again, then have enough fuel to pass by Eve and land on Gilly (which is damn hard btw) and can still make it home, you brought too much.

I didnt bring enough. 

My first interplanetary craft went to Eve, aerobraked (was trying to capture but failed), missed Gilly (was hoping for an EVA touchdown), but was able to eyeball a Jool encounter out of the resulting trajectory.

Encountered Jool, aerobraked, encountered three moons (not enough DV to orbit and EVA to the smaller ones, but radioed back some orbital EVA reports).

Currently orbiting Jool in a highly elliptical fashion, with barely a trickle of fuel left.  I was hoping to get this thing back to Kerbin, but I think unless I find a better way to calculate gravity assists and transfer windows, the little guy is doomed.

I did the whole thing by eyeballing nodes and without waiting for planets to line up for good windows.

It has been flying with nothing but an atomic rocket motor and a couple of batteries and a radio -- no solar was available when I launched him so he cant recharge without thrusting, didnt have any RCS or any scientific instruments.  Little dude is a hero.

Just not enough gas to get home.

Land on Jool and get a rescue lander to him? Or perhaps a craft that can join up and dock and take him on?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Depends on why it explodes. Probably cause parts collide with each other.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So my SO is lookin for tutorial videos that are more recent then 2012, for just building a successful rocket.

My google fu is not finding a lot of that out there, most of the newer stuff seems aimed toward probes and space planes.

There is nothing wrong with the older tutorials.  Scott Manley's are some of the best.  He has one in career mode for the latest version, but it is not a beginner video and he uses some advanced "hot staging" techniques which are not really good for beginner.

If you feel like you need it in the latest version, this guy walks it through step by step real slow:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxaAvXC7Rk

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

atomic rocket motor

no solar was available when I launched him

what bullshit tech tree is this

Stock?  The first Solar Panel is in "Electrics" which is no where near any of the rocketry or atomic related stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Making a nuclear rocket has nothing to do with solar panels. Why would it?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Okay so I'll buy that it's not REQUIRED but seriously having electrics is pretty low tier and incredibly helpful. The requisite is just  Survivability, IIRC. Not too hard at all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Okay so I'll buy that it's not REQUIRED but seriously having electrics is pretty low tier and incredibly helpful. The requisite is just  Survivability, IIRC. Not too hard at all.
This is what happens when people have different priorities than you. They do something you don't expect.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

This is what happens when people have different priorities than you. They do something you don't expect.
Yes but electrics is not a huge detour and pretty cheap regardless and if you're going to go interplanetary which is pretty much the point of the atomic rocket motors you would still expect to have at least some degree of electricity so you could, y'know, turn without wasting precious fuel and also if you're a rare sane person for probes but

whaaaaaaaaaat
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:12:54 pm by Twi »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well I certainly had time to research solar power and lots of other crap when it was on it's two-year trip to Jool...

(sent this crazy eight-lander science probe to Minmus... was originally planned for Mun, but the landers did not have enough fuel so I had to load a quicksave and send it to Minmus instead -- Mothership pilot ended up stranded in Minmus orbit had to be rescued with a later mission)

Anyway, I was pretty much in a rush for the heavy rockets so I skipped big chunks of the tech tree.  It turned out to be a mistake, as my low tech heavy lifter ended up being better than any mainsail type design that I was able to create.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I just finished my first successful Mun flyby in career mode! I know that's kid stuff to you all, but still, I was excited. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Congrats, I still have yet to successfully land anywhere but kerbin, however ice gotten ok at changing orbits, I still get confused when I need to burn normal or anti normal, whatever that means =/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Minmus and the Mun, that's all I've ever successfully landed at, not counting kerbin.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Congrats, I still have yet to successfully land anywhere but kerbin, however ice gotten ok at changing orbits, I still get confused when I need to burn normal or anti normal, whatever that means =/
iirc normal = north, antinormal is south. Basically.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 848