Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443914 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do know click is short for kilometer?

Yes!  Yes I do!  I guess I should have spelled it Klik?  How does that work? 

I was like 700Km off, but you'd be amazed the DV in those EVA packs.  I was sure the little dude was going to die, it was probably the happiest moment of my KSPing when I actually managed to reach the target.  I only had to lead it a little bit.

It means the same thing, the word you are looking for is "meters".
If he was looking for metres then he would have said a few hundred thousand, rather than just a few hundred.

wait, he flies 700km (small k btw) with EVA packs? Dear space gods!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

what's wrong with that? if you already are on a good vector you don't need a lot of dv.

I could go from kerbin to mun as well via jetpack, if I am already on a rocket passing by the mun soi.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Needs more feet...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

specially liked how when it broke it actually moved better.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wait, he flies 700km (small k btw) with EVA packs? Dear space gods!

Yeah, its not the distance; its that the little guy has no maneuver ball or orbital map to check his aim with.  The only thing to work with is the range counter on the distant ship in your HUD.

I guess my main point here, is that I just couldn't get the ships orbits to line up.  Coundn't make the rendezvous happen.  In the end, I was afraid to waste any more fuel for fear that I wouldn't be able to break orbit and return, so I took the closest approach and jumped.

Not sure why I couldn't do the same thing with one of the ships, it just seemed impossible to schedule a burn with the maneuver node that would get it where I needed it to be.

Maybe there is a better tutorial somewhere for orbital maneuvers and docking that I should read through.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHkY3FusJIQ
Scott Manley has a pretty good tutorial on it.

Though really, I find a lot of it is getting a feel for when to switch over from orbital physics to newtonian motion in your head-calculations.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I built my first rocket that gets a probe+some fuel to orbit WITHOUT being horribly overengineered! Wooo!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

So I got my munar expedition vessel all up in a stable orbit, all three component parts docked nice and tidy, and I figured I'd let mechjeb handle the transfer burn while I take a piss. I come back to find that the ship exploded or something, with debris being flung far and wide, including on escape trajectories out of Kerbin's SOI. Some of them pretty damn fast, and some of the debris is actually on escape trajectories out of the SUN'S SOI

Jeb, who had been in the lander capsule, was killed some point after the explosion, I'm guessing in a collision with other debris because his orbit appeared stable enough when I checked. Bill and Bob are in the science lab that was at the lower end of the stack when the accident occured. The lower half seems to be mostly intact, but lost its mechjeb unit, meaning I have no way to control the thing. Burned off all its fuel, too. Its orbit appears stable, But if it's on a collision course with any other debris there's nothing I could do about it because a rendevous to rescue them would take more than one orbit period to accomplish, and more likely than not any such collisions will happen in the first one or two passes. There is a LOT of debris to worry about up there, now.

I will never again take a piss with mechjeb yet to initiate a burn.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MechJeb is version dependent. Some versions explode things.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Huh. For some reason I thought Squad was Eastern European of some sort.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I'm really looking forward to the mission pack! The technical changes alone suggest that there will be some impressive new features...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Landing on asteroids? Hoo boy!

We must celebrate. Launch all our best wine into space immediately.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 534 535 [536] 537 538 ... 848