Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443873 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You want to burn away your horizontal as you fall so that by the time you get to the bottom your going more or less straight. Whilst it's more efficient to burn at an angle to lose the velocity in an arc, you can just suicide your horizontal and fall if you have the delta-v to spare.

The problem I have is with any kind of rendezvous. Cannot get two space craft to deliberately meet...Makes Apollo-style missions tricky :)

Oh, man, I finally figgured this out.  I was having the HARDEST time with it, but could never get it right.  With the new "rescue the kerbal" missions, i finally knuckled down and got it sorted out.

I'm going to guess that your problem is similar to mine.  Something like this:

- You can match orbital plane by adjusting the purple triangles on the maneuver nodes - normal and anti-normal.  no problem
- you can match orbit shape by burning at periapsis and apoapsis.  no problem
- you can get roughly close to another orbital object by making your orbit larger (to slow down) or tighter (to speed up).  no big problem.

but the PROBLEM comes in closing the last few km or few tens of km.  and the solution to this is to use the nav-ball.

When the nav-ball is set to your target (pick a target, and click on the nav-ball until it gives you the target's velocity) you can:

1 - burn at the retrograde indicator to make your velocity relative to the target zero.  This will effectively match orbits exactly with the target.
2 - burn at the "towards target" indicator to close distance with the target
3 - go to step 1 and zero out velocity again.  repeat as you close.  maybe use RCS instead of engines.

I struggled with this for so long, and finally figuring out how the "target" navball worked was a life saver.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you start going to the moons, just use a small unmanned craft which can repeatedly send temperature data and take off the 5 meters off the ground to get 'space science' to complete those ones.

wait, you can get temperature data from space?  I thought thermometers didnt work in vacuum?

I dont feel like permanent satellites are an exploit, as I would prefer the game to incent you to create an ACTUAL satellite network like with that communications mod...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

When you start going to the moons, just use a small unmanned craft which can repeatedly send temperature data and take off the 5 meters off the ground to get 'space science' to complete those ones.

wait, you can get temperature data from space?  I thought thermometers didnt work in vacuum?

I dont feel like permanent satellites are an exploit, as I would prefer the game to incent you to create an ACTUAL satellite network like with that communications mod...
'Near' space you can, as has always been the case.

As for permanent satellites, yeah, definitely. However, it would be better if it at least required an orbit change or such to retrieve them, such that you would be incentivized to create some intermediary small kerbal-retrieval craft. If the rescue missions had altitude ranges and varying amounts of eccentricity, for example, instead of always being around 110km circular orbits (granted, that may be in and I haven't seen it yet, so who knows).

The other interesting thing about the contracts is how it all effects science. You barely seem to get any from the instruments now, but the 'test X' missions give a lot of it, making up most of your science budget.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:10:16 pm by alway »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Ah, nothing like getting the nuclear engine from a test mission and using it to land on the Mun. The test mission was even in Munar orbit, so overall I managed to get over a million dollars and 600 science from the Mun.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
7138 dV in atmosphere and 8720 dV in vacuum
Want a fairly simple kinda early tech ship for the Mun? It is tall and has asparagus staging at the bottom above the boosters. It should not only be able to land on the Mun but possibly also hop at least once to another biome. For sure it can do Minmus 2x. $58k craft. It is not great at horizontal velocity while landing. No RCS. Hmm. The new Vernor engine is tempting...

I'm going to try using this to save a Kerbal in orbit around Kerbin THEN take him to the Mun. Sorry dude. You have work to do today. This should unlock a bunch of contracts as this is the first trip to the Mun in this save.

Good job, Corgel. Success. And success again. That's two landings, one of the big equatorial craters and the midlands. He has plenty of dV to get home. I think I'll give him a break and not try to hop once more, which I have the dV for, but not the landing engines for. I'm not for balancing on a single rocket. Not one this tall. Legs next time, perhaps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:37:03 am by BigD145 »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Another surprisingly common mistake is to not turn on the precision controls with caps lock I believe it is?...makes it a bit easier when it comes to making the small changes you need to make under the 50 meter range without over adjusting
...There are precision controls?

There are... Precision... Controls...

* dragnar has flipped a table.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just found this cool spaceplane parts mod. It's similar to B9 but has an aesthetic a bit closer to the stock parts. Unfortunately it only has MK2 size fuselages.

Using it, and with very little effort, I was able to construct an SSTO capable of carrying several passengers and a small satellite into orbit on the first try. I think it will satisfy my spaceplane needs quite nicely.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I just found this cool spaceplane parts mod. It's similar to B9 but has an aesthetic a bit closer to the stock parts. Unfortunately it only has MK2 size fuselages.

Using it, and with very little effort, I was able to construct an SSTO capable of carrying several passengers and a small satellite into orbit on the first try. I think it will satisfy my spaceplane needs quite nicely.

also I suggest this, for the heavy landing gear:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76668-0-23-5-Kerbal-Aircraft-Expansion-(KAX)-v2-2-1-Now-With-100-More-Helicopters

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can anyone tell me an easy way of creating a 'space station' (or satellite) and establishing an orbit?

No matter what I try for the latter, I always end up overshooting by quite some way and then finding it impossible to get it sorted; before getting bored and just re-entering the atmosphere and splashing down.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Send the space station up in parts. Make sure the first part has a docking hub on it so you can attatch other fuel tanks or whatever you may want, and that those parts have docking ports for ships.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Can anyone tell me an easy way of creating a 'space station' (or satellite) and establishing an orbit?

No matter what I try for the latter, I always end up overshooting by quite some way and then finding it impossible to get it sorted; before getting bored and just re-entering the atmosphere and splashing down.

Most basic way to get things to orbit: Fire straight up until you reach about 10 to 20 thousand meters, this should put your apoapsis somewhere around 70000, this is the minimum for orbiting. Once you hit a good apoapsis, keep turning right until your navball is on the line in between the blue and orange parts. Then fire engines until orbiting.

Just start with that and refine as you get better at it, and you should be good.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Install MechJeb and let it fly your craft to orbit. If it can't, your build is probably bad or too fiddly. If it can, I hope you payed attention to how it did it. Now you have a part that at worst gives you the dV of your craft as you build it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:53:05 am by BigD145 »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I was under the impression that MechJeb wasn't actually that good at launches and a person being careful on the controls could do better. I remember someone saying something to that effect.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mechjeb can't do jet-assisted

jet-assisted should be more common now that people will have to care about money

unless jets are fixed

i have not yet played new things

I was under the impression that MechJeb wasn't actually that good at launches and a person being careful on the controls could do better. I remember someone saying something to that effect.

well yeah, mechjeb is lit a list of scripts, while an experienced human can do better in most situations

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks guys, will give MechJeb a go and also try BFEL's suggested tactic for a manual attempt!
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 848