Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448509 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Personally, I prefer KerbAI to mechjeb, mostly because you can do interesting things like launch several rockets at once and partially because its harder.
whazzat
Basic video, rather out of date
Newest Download

Fecking ninjas.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might be referring to my post?

I'm most assuredly not.  You have constructive things to add to add to this discussion, and I am sorry that you felt like any of this silly mudslinging was directed at you.  It was not.

Really, I do admire how everyone else is just moving on with the thread and letting the ridiculous bits die out.  I need to learn to be better about doing this.  I should have known better than to reply at all.  Honestly, I did know better -- I just make poor choices sometimes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I'm most assuredly not.  You have constructive things to add to add to this discussion, and I am sorry that you felt like any of this silly mudslinging was directed at you.  It was not.

Is that a grudge?

...am I ignored?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Can't we all just get along and strap kerbals to tons of explosives in the name of science?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Is that a grudge?

...am I ignored?

*facepalm*

Calm down Putty, he's trying to let this go.

As for Mr. Puke, Putnam is usually a pretty decent guy, he just tends to be...curt...with his replies and such. For awhile I also was under the impression that he was...well a douchebag, but I've since realized he just tends to be very blunt with things.

So can we get back to friendly rocket scienceing now?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sir, if you are launching rockets with friendliness then it is my sad duty to inform you that you are rocket sciencing incorrectly. ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Is that a grudge?

...am I ignored?

*facepalm*

Calm down Putty, he's trying to let this go.

As for Mr. Puke, Putnam is usually a pretty decent guy, he just tends to be...curt...with his replies and such. For awhile I also was under the impression that he was...well a douchebag, but I've since realized he just tends to be very blunt with things.

So can we get back to friendly rocket scienceing now?

Darn. That's still a problem.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

So, how do debris and parachutes work, exactly?  You get refunded for items that are reclaimed, how does that handle discarded stages?  I know that the capsule and attached items are refunded, but how are things like boosters and lower stages accounted?  I've been putting parachutes on things out of habit, or simply doing single-stage.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, how do debris and parachutes work, exactly?  You get refunded for items that are reclaimed, how does that handle discarded stages?  I know that the capsule and attached items are refunded, but how are things like boosters and lower stages accounted?  I've been putting parachutes on things out of habit, or simply doing single-stage.

This is what Anvilfolk was talking about.  Basically, you're screwed on discarded stages.

It seems like anything that falls out of the 2km (2.5km?) physics range is discarded.  You can put parachutes and probe cores and such on your boost stages, but those things wont trigger unless you can manually switch to it during flight and land it safely.  This is hard to do while you are trying to launch a rocket.

On the other hand, you can get full points for recovering sub-craft, if for example one rocket has three landers.

Also, I have landed rockets, taken the kerbal out, recovered the kerbal with his soil sample, and then recovered the empty unkerbaled lander for its regular value.  This is probalby possible because it got to the ground safely with the physics engine watching it, rather than abstractly.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Basically, they don't work at all....anything that's ever a certain distance from you is deleted, parachutes be damned. Someone posted a mod link that fixes this awhile back.

Now I landed on the Mün and I have declared that Probodobodyne wins everything and all other companies have no business in space.

Funny, my first rescue kerbal mission was from them. Immediately after I first achieved orbit. So I figured they must have been competing with me and accidently messed up big time, and I had to fix their mistake. Because space is for professionals.

Sir, if you are launching rockets with friendliness then it is my sad duty to inform you that you are rocket sciencing incorrectly. ;)
Don't you know? The Friendly Force Drive has the highest isp AND thrust of all drives. It can get you everyone.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stock KSP has everything that's flying but farther than 2.5km from you automatically despawn. Landed/splashed down objects never despawn. The easiest way to deal with this without modding is to design your rocket so the bottom stage has its own probe core and parachutes and can get up to an almost orbit, decouple right before you start the burn to turn it into a full orbit, then switch back to the bottom stage and activate its parachutes and keep it as you active vehicle until it's landed and can be recovered.

Here is a mod that seems to let you recover without all that work though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Seems to be even worse than that. I was watching a stream from Jef Major the other day and he did a test. He landed the cockpit and booster stage at basically the same time with parachutes after separating them, but only got credit for the cockpit. The booster stage, despite sitting nicely next to the cockpit at landing, was simply deleted after he did the reclaim.

Sounds like a bug to me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The game only gives you a refund if the recovered object has a command part attached, even if it is safely landed right next to the space centre. Unfortunately not even the debrefund mod changes that, so if you are using it you actually need to let your spent boosters leave physics range if you want the refund.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Discarded stage unless they landed while under the physic boundary ( wich is 2.5km away max from active craft ), wich also never happens, are totally destroyed. That is not expanded in the stock game. However there is a nifty little plugin that i love that does exactly that, recycle spent stage and give back some money depending on how fast they landed and how far away from KSC.

I.E.: A multi-part booster ( 2 tank, one LV-T45 2 parachute if i remember right ), will land under the 5ms/s with no damage thus giving full refund of part minus the distance and fuel spent. On the other hand if i had only one parachute it migh land at 7.8ms/s thus giving it a little damage lowering the max amount of refund.

What i like about that plugin is the feedback it gives you, if the stage simply blows up that because you dont have enough chute by a large margin, if it land in the *yellow* section (damaged) you also see the speed it was going uppon touchdown ( simulated mind you ) thus giving you an idea on how many chute i need etc.

Some says its cheating as you recover much more money leading to a big amount of fund in no time since you dont *bleed* money somewhere. Myself i find it decent because i play with so many mods and some piece cost so much that it would take me forever to do anything.

Also debrefund kicks in only when its outside of the active physic bubble.

Edit: Just realised that some of the information i said was already said, sorry for the overlapping information.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just stop worrying about garbage ship parts. Let them go. You're not getting paid for them as soon as they leave the bubble around the craft you're piloting. What you are getting paid for is contracts and boy howdy are you getting paid. Quit sweating the pennies and rake in your millions.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 848