Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448823 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10575 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:57 pm »

Nevermind, the parts pack I mentioned before new up being KW rocketry. Is awesome, much recommend. Very wow.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10576 on: October 18, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »

KW is about 4 rockets with multiples of each and they aren't that much different from stock. They look nice but just add to part bloat for no other reason.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: October 19, 2014, 04:19:52 am »

Also you probably want Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, that usually helps with wobbly joints (and means you don't have to do silly vertical strutting between stacked parts)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: October 19, 2014, 09:24:31 am »

Yeah I would love less parts better integrated with tweakscale

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: October 19, 2014, 12:02:38 pm »

Finally made a working spaceplane, SSTO at that. Unfortunately, when it left the atmosphere, it lost control of itself for some reason. I thought RAPIERs had thrust vectoring?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: October 19, 2014, 12:08:50 pm »

is thrust aligned with the center of mass?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: October 19, 2014, 12:28:02 pm »

Most likely not.

To be fair, I'm surprised it got that high. I'm... not good with spaceplanes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: October 19, 2014, 12:49:09 pm »

There's a few thrust balancing mods that can account for that, actually.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: October 19, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »

KW is about 4 rockets with multiples of each and they aren't that much different from stock. They look nice but just add to part bloat for no other reason.
So what do you recommend? I just want a set of realistic and useful parts to use with my RSS installation. I'm probably keeping this too because fairings are awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: October 19, 2014, 01:46:20 pm »

Procedural fairings the way better than any of of manual fairings

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: October 19, 2014, 09:37:42 pm »

Trimmed down my Mars Mission game by eliminating some of KW and Near Future's more superfluous parts. Also added the Transfer Window Planner as showcased in Scott Manley's latest video. It should be fantastic for putting the supply ships on efficient extended transfers while minimizing transit time for the kerbal transport ship, as would be desired in a real Mars mission.

I also had the chance to try out the full blown realism overhaul on a different game. It's pretty intense, at least at the low tech levels. For example, the liquid engines can be ignited at most a few times, but generally only once for the most powerful ones. Also they have limited if any thrust control, and changing the thrust limiter in the VAB doesn't seem to have an effect. This ended up causing the deaths of several kerbals while trying to achieve orbit for the first time. Near the end of the second stage the vessel's TWR would exceed the crew's g-force limit, killing them. On the plus side, the fuel tanks are vastly customizable in appearance, stats, and contents and you can make some really good looking rockets with it.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: October 20, 2014, 06:05:45 am »

So what do you recommend? I just want a set of realistic and useful parts to use with my RSS installation. I'm probably keeping this too because fairings are awesome.
I recommend the stock NASA parts. Things are practically magic when looked at next to that dopey Mainsail.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: October 20, 2014, 02:48:02 pm »

Anybody else go to the NASA open house on Sunday?  I'm bummed that I didn't know about the back stage passes, but there was enough cool stuff on display that I had a great time anyway.

The portable satellite uplink and various RF toys were pretty cool and probably the most professionally interesting to me.  But they had all sorts of great stuff, including microsats (including this thing:http://www.phonesat.org/, with the first crowd-sourced satellite tracking), ablative heat shields and the arc jet that tests them, really big wind-tunnels, models of the new Orion spacecraft and escape tower, and a whole lot more.

Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:49:48 pm by puke »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: October 21, 2014, 01:48:46 pm »

remember when I had that chute malfunction?

it was a deadly reentry bug in temp multipliers for chutes, fixed version 6.2.1 onward.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: October 21, 2014, 02:10:27 pm »

Oh that was a bug? It did seem a bit extreme, but not completely unreasonable seeing as you'd be moving at faster than mach 1 when it happened. Time to update I guess.

I'm still waiting on firespitter's update for my Mars mission. It's not necessary, but I like the idea of having flying drones on Mars. In the meantime I'm trying to re-enact the Gemini docking with the Realism Overhaul modpack. It's going a bit better than my earlier attempts at making a no orbiter now that I have a better understanding of the engines and their limitations. Still pretty hard though.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 848