Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448749 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10590 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:15 pm »

Trimmed down my Mars Mission game by eliminating some of KW and Near Future's more superfluous parts. Also added the Transfer Window Planner as showcased in Scott Manley's latest video. It should be fantastic for putting the supply ships on efficient extended transfers while minimizing transit time for the kerbal transport ship, as would be desired in a real Mars mission.

I also had the chance to try out the full blown realism overhaul on a different game. It's pretty intense, at least at the low tech levels. For example, the liquid engines can be ignited at most a few times, but generally only once for the most powerful ones. Also they have limited if any thrust control, and changing the thrust limiter in the VAB doesn't seem to have an effect. This ended up causing the deaths of several kerbals while trying to achieve orbit for the first time. Near the end of the second stage the vessel's TWR would exceed the crew's g-force limit, killing them. On the plus side, the fuel tanks are vastly customizable in appearance, stats, and contents and you can make some really good looking rockets with it.

What is that realism mod?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10591 on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:33 pm »

The Realism Overhaul. It's not so much a single mod as it is a mod pack that integrates and modifies a bunch of separate realism mods and stock parts to make KSP as realistic as possible.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:50:58 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: October 22, 2014, 03:01:58 am »

on an unrelated notice patapon music is an unbelievably good fit for the game.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:35 pm »

Well, the pseudo-Gemini docking went fine, but it now seems I have no way of de-orbiting the craft safely short of using infinite fuel. Supposedly with the realism overhaul you can use the off-center mass of the Mk1-2 pod to easily perform a lifting reentry. However, even with RCS keeping the pod in a position to maximize lift AND using the remaining fuel in the last stage to keep the craft in level flight for as long as possible, the heat shield still ablates away as soon as It gets to around 45000m.

The Realism Overhaul links a video example of a lifting reentry, and the guy in the video has no problem losing all his velocity higher up despite barely controlling the pod at all and going in at a steeper angle. I can only conclude that some change in FAR, deadly reentry or the Realism overhaul has broken things.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: October 23, 2014, 01:29:13 am »

touying around with the monoprop engines...

they really are impressive, here is a small rover with loads of stuff including two mistery goo container,
sitting at 1500+ dv

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #10596 on: October 23, 2014, 03:33:07 am »

I just want a set of realistic and useful parts to use with my RSS installation. I'm probably keeping this too because fairings are awesome.

Try Procedural Parts combined with Procedural Fairings. I ended up removing KW and a handful of other part mods after installing these two.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10597 on: October 23, 2014, 12:45:39 pm »

The latest dev log resulted in an almighty internet Higgildy-piggildy. By 0.9, Kerbals were going to gain experience which would translate into direct engine upgrades for that vessel alone. This was widely rejected by the community (and unfortunately drowned out a great deal of exciting changes, such as a total rebuild of the ship designer), and there was an announcement afterwards that they were going to consider alternatives.

Naturally, there have been a number of suggestions. Here's an example from a psychopath that nonetheless makes good points.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: October 23, 2014, 12:50:50 pm »

Bah, it was kerbal and I would have enjoyed it even if gamey.

I mean, engine with fixed thrust are as much wrong as kerbals having better performances.

edit: I give up, .25 eva are too bugged to play hardmode.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:17:34 pm by LoSboccacc »

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10601 on: October 23, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »

Hm, which dev log is that? The one from 14th October? Or the forum post from the same day? I don't frequent KPS page/forums so asking just so I know what I should be reading because Kerbal experience does sound kinda weird...

OMNOMNOM
Glorious.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: October 23, 2014, 03:03:50 pm »

I want nothing more than XP for kerbals...it's the key to making me really connect with and want to keep and actually learn the nmaes of characters...it just needs to be tweaked to make more sense on a realistic level...affecting parts doesn't make sense

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: October 23, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »

Decided to perform a Minmussion so I can get more Science and rescue Jeb from the surface of the Mun.

Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 848