Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448344 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10620 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:50 pm »

I'd actually consider Kerbal experience having effects on EVA RCS efficiency believable. EVA movement speed. Virtual joystick accuracy and smoothness. SAS effectiveness. And indeed maximum thrust, although not ISP - a pilot with a cautious personality may be reluctant to actually push the engines to 100%.

I wouldn't actually altogether mind pilots having effects on rocket performance in Career, although I'd prefer if it was negative influence rather than positive - a perfect pilot would make the craft perform exactly as it would in Sandbox.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10621 on: October 24, 2014, 12:12:57 pm »

What was the name of the strategy that turned profit from missions into science, and has anyone else found it to be slightly overpowered? I had it turned on to convert 20 percent of my profits into science, and when I got back from a vacation to Duna (explore Ike, explore Duna, and a plant flag mission on each) I got a load of science big enough to unlock everything in the tech tree that wasn't already unlocked with 3000 science left over, and I still got a very hefty amount of moolah from the trip. Kerbals came home safe too.

I never even had to get science from around the sun to complete the tech tree :P

I can't say I really support exp. affecting how crafts perform, unless it's little things like affecting maneuverability, and the things that Sean said. Nothing that could ruin a mission.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: October 24, 2014, 12:39:10 pm »

installed eva fix, worked fine for capsule. happily went to mun, jumped on the rover seat for landing, evaed from the seat for science and got ejected at thousand meter per second toward mun surface.

damn.

Spoiler: followup: rageeeequit (click to show/hide)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: October 24, 2014, 12:49:27 pm »

setting outsourced R&D to 20%-25% (converts funds into science) is an incredible boost with high fund missions.
a mission to test a S3 KS 25*4 engine cluster in orbit nets me 5600 science, of which 5482 is due to fund-science conversion.

might be slightly overpowered.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: October 24, 2014, 12:52:03 pm »

Managed to get a C-class asteroid into mostly low orbit around Kerbin(apoapsis is 1,600km, periapsis is 160km). I'm surpised I pulled it off. Originally, I was going to mine the asteroid for Karbonite and turn it into fuel for the trip back, but the drills didn't work, possibly because I put them facing up instead of down? Still, I had just enough fuel to make into that orbit.

And only had to edit the savefile once, and I only did that because the refueling craft I sent bugged out despite it working on a previous test run.

Unfortunately, the asteroid might now be useless because I can't seem to mine it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: October 24, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »

finished nearly the whole tech tree on that single mission ( would have been able to complete it all twice over, had I pushed the slider to 50%). I am playing on normal settings, but this just seems... wrong. haven't even orbited moon yet. Need to try harder settings next time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:40 pm »

Yeah, they should probably nerf the value of funds relative to other currencies when it comes to strategies.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: October 24, 2014, 04:42:30 pm »

finished nearly the whole tech tree on that single mission ( would have been able to complete it all twice over, had I pushed the slider to 50%). I am playing on normal settings, but this just seems... wrong. haven't even orbited moon yet. Need to try harder settings next time.

You can always not use that branch of KSC. Defeats its purpose buuuuut... not everything Squad does is for experienced players. Actually none of it is. There are still some balance issues on top of that.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: October 24, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »

This is why I do the opposite. 

My First Contract campaign had me absolutely rolling in the science -- I wanted to be struggling to reach Duna with substandard parts, but I ended up owning most of the tech tree with a few missions.  Part of that is my fault, for launching massive multiple-lander-vehicles to mine science from Minmus and Mun, but still.

Anyhow, in Economic Boom, I used the strategy system to convert science into moneys to slow down the advancement a bit.  Seems to be working out pretty well.  I use the extra moneys to build comm relays for Remote Tech. 

There are enough non-mission flights I want to run (refueling and extra-life support stations in orbit, etc) that I can burn through the surplus moneys -- but having a surplus of science short-cuts the feeling of campaign progress for me.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: October 24, 2014, 05:22:06 pm »

I use Reputation for funds and science, and it works well. I have some upper parts unlocked, but I've had trouble getting enough money, even without crashing into the launchpad once. I also have to limit what I unlock to what I need. This probably wouldn't work on much less than Hard, though.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: October 24, 2014, 05:26:11 pm »

you must be playing ironman.  I imagine this would be significantly harder on your funds.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: October 24, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »

you must be playing ironman.  I imagine this would be significantly harder on your funds.

Yeah, it adds a challenge.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10632 on: October 25, 2014, 02:30:45 pm »

I was kind of hoping that strategies would determine a little more about how you design missions, like a "Nuclear-Free Zone" strategy that completely bans NERVAs and RTGs and gives you reputation penalties if any already-existing nukes enter the atmosphere, but grants a reputation bonus otherwise.

Or, a Celebrity Astronauts where unmanned missions decrease reputation but all manned missions gain reputation depending on how far they go.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: October 27, 2014, 05:32:48 am »

What does reputation even do?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: October 27, 2014, 05:59:35 am »

What does reputation even do?

contract payments and availability I think
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 848