Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448307 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10905 on: December 23, 2014, 09:16:18 am »

Anybody got any tips for doing the perform visual surveys of kerbin? Especially the EVAs and soil samples? I'm using NEAR and am having problems getting close to the sites, however, I have figured out a way to compensate for the difference in orbital prediction (using MechJebs landing autopilot) and I'm going to try to stick some RCS onto the lander to get it more precise. However, the main thing I need help with is the soil samples and EVAs because once landed, I can't see the navball and there aren't any waypoint markers for the sites.

Also, how do I cram a rover into one of those containers that are in KAS (kerbal attachment system) mod?

Edit: Using RCS did the trick of getting me near the target location, but I still need help with the surface sample part and EVA because I can't see where the spot is while on EVA and it doesn't tell me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:46:51 am by smjjames »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10906 on: December 23, 2014, 10:58:44 am »

You guys remind me of theologians trying to interpret the Bible and burn those that don't agree with them.
Just now saw the response to my post and this is exactly what I thought :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: December 23, 2014, 11:58:53 am »

Bumpy runway why :I
Seriously it can't be too difficult to pat down a flat dirt road. The Romans managed it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: December 23, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »

Seriously it can't be too difficult to pat down a flat dirt road. The Romans managed it.
Roman roads wherent dirt, they where stone...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: December 23, 2014, 01:38:48 pm »

Roman roads wherent dirt, they where stone...
They were made of various layers of compacted dirt, gravel/pebbles, that kind of thing. Then paved. But if they'd missed... most of the steps you'd have gotten a dirt road that is significantly smoother than KSC's starting runway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: December 23, 2014, 01:42:20 pm »

Top layer is stone, which is what I was talking about.

As for dirt roads/runways, they get bumpy shockingly easily. The thing that is normally done to let non rough-surface capable craft to be able to use it is add metal grill/grate things.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10911 on: December 23, 2014, 02:32:49 pm »

It's not even like anything exploded. The cockpit just kind of... fell off. Quite a while after touchdown too, I was just rolling along and braking when POP off comes the entire plane.

Oh and also:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:35:47 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10912 on: December 23, 2014, 02:46:34 pm »

Is there anyone making modpacks or is using mods TES-style painful?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:02:19 pm by Rez »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: December 23, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

TES?

And as far as I know, there are a few modpacks, but with mods updating at different rates its better to just do it by yourself.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: December 23, 2014, 03:42:32 pm »

I'll try out the enhanced navball and the docking alignment indicator. What exactly does the Indicator's red marker do? If you line your ship up with the red marker you can just use translation tools?

I'm not sure what mods use Regolith, is there a list somewhere?

The red marker is the location and orientation of the targeted docking node. Super useful in conjunction with the default markers on the navball. (Basically, point at the marker, move prograde to the marker, orient the top of the marker to the top of your navball, and dock perfectly every time.)
Karbonite is the biggest mod using Regolith right now, but there is also ART for asteroid mining, a version of extraplanetary launchpads, and others.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: December 23, 2014, 05:34:27 pm »

Can anybody help with the questions that I have a bit earlier?

I'm wondering in particular how to cram a rover into one of those containers in KAS without catalogueing each piece.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: December 23, 2014, 06:51:12 pm »

Most containers you can right click in editor and edit contents.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: December 23, 2014, 07:17:41 pm »

Can anybody help with the questions that I have a bit earlier?

I'm wondering in particular how to cram a rover into one of those containers in KAS without catalogueing each piece.

You can't unless you also use Part Welder and even then I'm not sure it will work. KAS only deals in individual parts.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: December 23, 2014, 08:27:15 pm »

So, I made a spaceshuttle that surprisingly worked on the first test. Managed to get it into lunar orbit with no refuels.
Includes a detachable engine if I ever want to go nuclear :D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:49 am »

Romans invented engineering

Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 848