Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448045 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

No point in leaving trash lying around.

There IS a point actually. You could use it to spam the "Science from Mun's Surface" missions for cheap cash.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

i use machine guns to clean up trash i leave behind in space

i would not recommend doing this in real life

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Woohoo! Managed to land my first Munar probe. Unfortunately, I landed it on the side of a crater, and it tipped over and rolled about 100m. Still, good enough to count and good enough to perform and transmit all the tasty science I had packed onto it. Then I used what fuel I had left to accelerate it across the crater floor until it explosively disassembled.

No point in leaving trash lying around. (If it had landed properly, I would have left it as a monument for future Kerbonauts to admire...)

Now I have proper ladders and can try to replicate the same thing with a manned lander. Which is terrifying.
Ladders aren't really essential on the Mun, and nor are the landing legs. The micro landing struts can probably take the weight and your kerbals can jump high enough to get back into the pod (and if they cant, they can jetpack up).

(I always mount my engines on top of my lander, with two of those tiny engines on each side)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

i use machine guns to clean up trash i leave behind in space

i would not recommend doing this in real life
I use a maintenance vessel which has little clawbots. Each clawbot has a claw grabber and just enough delta-v to deorbit plus ~6 parachutes. I latch one onto a sizeable debris chunk and deorbit/recover.

Minor debris I just detonate in orbit (Love the deployable explosives in KIS)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh... if this was not KSP, we'd be in deep, deep trouble.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Uh... if this was not KSP, we'd be in deep, deep trouble.
Fortunately kessler syndrome is prohibitively difficult to model in a game, so said debris simply vanish. :P

I do recall a mod which added random micrometeorite impacts which showed a nice impact effect and caused small forces to act on your ship, requiring correction burns sometimes.

I'd enjoy a similar mod which had a higher instance of impacts near kerbin depending on how many launches you have made previously, with possibility of damage to parts ala the "Dang It!" mod

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

There is a mod which did exactly that http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74382-Kessler-chaos-space-debris-clouds-0-23-5-WIP-Plugin

Try posing there maybe a maintainer will step up

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

There is a mod which did exactly that http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74382-Kessler-chaos-space-debris-clouds-0-23-5-WIP-Plugin

Try posing there maybe a maintainer will step up
Nice! I'll take a look at it, thanks

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I made a thing with the USI Freight Transport Technologies mod:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
860 tons fully fuelled, 280 of that being liquid hydrogen. Enough to haul 600 tons from duna with 1700 dv.
 This was the final booster configuration I used:
After about a week failed launches and redesigns, I've learned that due to the weakness of stock RCS, it's highly unlikely to launch an 800 ton payload without ensuring it's as rigid as possible, even this launch did not go smoothly, you can see 5 14400 tanks with rhinos at the very bottom of the stack, the first booster stage damaged half of these and they were discarded for symmetry, luckily there was barely enough fuel left to reach orbit without that final stage.
 Features include 3 cargo racks with docking ports for carrying colony modules, or senior docking ports for larger payloads.
3 Kontainers attached with docking ports, 8 enclosed cargo bays, and 12 radial MKS tanks.
Also 12 radially attached docking ports around the drive section allowing the easy attachment of an additional 860 tons of fuel tanks.
These would allow a staggering 2800 tons of freight to be delivered back to Kerbin from Duna, or a much smaller quantity from Jool, or deliver a decent colony setup to Laythe.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I wonder if it is possible to build a working cycler in KSP...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Ah, so, has anyone actually done it? Or did they try only to have the fuzzy numbers break it?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Ah, so, has anyone actually done it? Or did they try only to have the fuzzy numbers break it?
Looked to me like it is possible but nobody demonstrated it ingame. It would take some maintenance too, to adjust the orbit every few cycles

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In theory you could use the programming mod and set up a flight pattern for it to adhere too. Just focus it and let it adjust and carry on

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile

So I finally gave mechjeb a try, I both want to praise it and curse it at the same time, while its quite efficient at some things, other things its a bit inefficient, namely the landing from orbit, sure it can land almost strait back onto the launch pad from orbit, but it tends to fly strait over the target then enter the atmosphere at 2500 m/s at -70 degrees....while the spacecraft was mostly fine, seeing radial attached bits get blown off due to heat is always annoying. I did a test of going from orbiting minmus at 10 km, transit to kerbin, then set it to land while on the way to kerbin, it burned through 1k delta V and went on an escape trajectory...so I manually landed it. One thing that did help was the predicted landing, which let me land the rocket within 20 km of the space center.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 848