Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448213 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Man...all my 400k contracts are like..."create a space station with these 5 parts"  or some multi flight BS lol

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Ah yes. Quite. Blouse wasn't it? Good stuff.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, those are 459000 Kerbucks for something that simple.
Total cost 7428 Kermonies, and I even got some of it back after reentring without a heat shield and successfully landing in the desert at night without a parachute.

I got a Mun 3 Challenge that required flyby's of Mun, Minmus, and Duna. Later I got one that was Mun, Minmus, and Ike. I THINK I CAN DO THIS.
/feelslikecheating
/makes1.4mil
/builtandlaunchedfromminmus

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't wait for the Realism Overhaul mod compilation to get updated, but I'm worried it'll just constantly be running up against the memory limit. Even with the relatively tame set of mods I have now I'm constantly crashing. That's mostly because one of them probably has a memory leak, but even so, RAM seems much more limited than in previous versions.

I'm going to try out the community x64 hack to see if it's workable. The method is detailed here if anyone else wanted to try it: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224-Windows-64-bit-community-workaround

Edit: So it seems to be working except for one thing. FAR still automatically disables itself on Win_64 installs despite there no longer being an official version. Except it doesn't reinstate the stock aerodynamic model so there are just no aerodynamics at all. Anyone know how to stop it doing that?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:49:09 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Have you tried OpenGL mode ?
It halved my ram use allowing me to install clouds and distant object enhancement. It came at a slight cost, text looks slightly different in the VAB, slightly blurry.
I might need to disable the graphics more though, even with my GPU under clocked as much as possible with MSI afterburner my laptop is overheating,even at the space center it's running at 100% for no apparent reason.
I've also been getting crashes when going to the space center after craft loss, looking at the log it might be AMPyear or science alert.
Or possibly alarm clock?
Hell the log is Brobdingnagian, 4 mb just after launching.
In other news :
                      day 213: Jedmon Kermin refuses to pilot another mission, something about being an engineer and not a trained monkey. While rumours persist of a team of orange suited kerbals who are experimenting with aerospace, none of these veterans have made themself available, yet a brave, possibly stupid, recruit named Glecine Kemin has volunteered to test the mk1 pod and cabin.
Soon we shall recruit a scientist to round out the team. Funds are at 73k, we have 19 science and in 11 days will unlock survivability, soon we shall start work on the last node of tier 2. Glecine has a crazy notion about taking tourists on sub orbital hops, which is absurd considering we've only sent unmanned solid fuelled rockets out of the atmosphere. That 18 km altitude record has gone to her head.

Edit: turning off open gl mode fixed the high GPU problem, but I can't fit clouds into ram now :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:12:58 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

Solid-fuel suborbital tourist rockets are the best suborbital tourist rockets:

Despite its name, it's never killed anyone yet, as I haven't missed that narrow window between when it's going slow enough that the parachutes won't rip off and when it's a smear across the ground.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried OpenGL mode ?
Forgot about that. I should probably try it sometime, it would likely invite fewer problems than x64. Still, 64-bit seems mostly okay. It was running comfortably at 5+ GB of RAM, enough that it was actually close to the limit for my old-ish desktop PC. There were a few bugs, but it's hard to tell which were caused by the hack and which were caused by haphazardly installing all the memory-intensive mods I could find. I'll just say that Unity 5 and a stable 64-bit version can't come soon enough.

As for getting FAR to cooperate, it seems I'll have to go into the code, remove whatever's disabling it and recompile it. I just can't seem to find where it get's disabled. The only place I've found where it checks for the win64 version is just a warning text telling you it's unstable. Oh well, I'll have to look into it more later.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

As for getting FAR to cooperate, it seems I'll have to go into the code, remove whatever's disabling it and recompile it. I just can't seem to find where it get's disabled. The only place I've found where it checks for the win64 version is just a warning text telling you it's unstable. Oh well, I'll have to look into it more later.

Here's a pre .90 tutorial that might have some decent hints for that; good luck!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I now have a science lab in permament orbit. I tried to get to the mun to gather more data and science, but ran out of fuel (not enough tanks on that asparagus). I did almost max out the science/day, though, so it's not a total loss. It would  have been better if I had been able to get to the mun, though, to collect more science and add data to the Scilab when it eventually gets low.

I also realized that Jebadiah will be passing near Kerbin soon. I'd like to rescue him (and collect that "Orbit around the sun" science), but there's no docking ports on his ship and I've never run a rescue mission before. Advice?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I now have a science lab in permament orbit. I tried to get to the mun to gather more data and science, but ran out of fuel (not enough tanks on that asparagus). I did almost max out the science/day, though, so it's not a total loss. It would  have been better if I had been able to get to the mun, though, to collect more science and add data to the Scilab when it eventually gets low.

I also realized that Jebadiah will be passing near Kerbin soon. I'd like to rescue him (and collect that "Orbit around the sun" science), but there's no docking ports on his ship and I've never run a rescue mission before. Advice?
If you're rescuing a kerbal it's easy, just get within a km or two and have them EVA to your ship. Jetpack is much easier than closing that last bit of distance and maneuvering to dock.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Here's my münar space station.
The bottom left part is the core/habitation module, with a Hitchhiker, reserve tanks, and lots of batteries. The middle part has solar panels, orbital experiments and a large fuel tank. The bottom right part is a lab module, with, well, labs.

Note that it is currently useless and annoying to have multiple labs on a single space station, because when you try to analyze an experiment in the second lab after analyzing it in the first lab, the "Process in lab module" button still appears (because there's a lab which can accept the experiment), but when you click the button, it's always sent to the first lab, which then rejects the experiment.

As you can see, I'm in the process of refurbishing the station. I have 31 experiments, altogether worth about 1500 data, stored in the cupola at the bottom, and instead of sending the lander down for another round of experiments, I just sent up a new lab module (attached to the top, with the transfer stage still attached), moved all my Kerbals out of the old labs into the new labs and the Hitchhiker, redocked the lander, and am about to jettison the old lab module and that transfer stage. Now I should be able to max out my tech tree just by waiting for my scientists to research the experiments I already have, then I can go 100% patents licensing and get free money whenever.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Due to an accident while jumping from a slightly too high lander, Valentina fell through the ground, accelerated to light speed, and was eaten by the sun, she will be missed.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Here's my Munar space station and tractor.

Next up, crew!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:54:14 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

If you're rescuing a kerbal it's easy, just get within a km or two and have them EVA to your ship. Jetpack is much easier than closing that last bit of distance and maneuvering to dock.
The science on the ship itself is valuable. Almost 300 points of science, all of which would be cut by a third if I just transmitted it. I'm not sure what would happen if I had jeb remove the experiments from the ship and store them in a command module; if it works, of course I can just do rescue by EVA. But if it doesn't I'll have to wait another 50 days for the chance to rescue him again.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 848