Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448725 times)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

I now have a science lab in permament orbit. I tried to get to the mun to gather more data and science, but ran out of fuel (not enough tanks on that asparagus). I did almost max out the science/day, though, so it's not a total loss. It would  have been better if I had been able to get to the mun, though, to collect more science and add data to the Scilab when it eventually gets low.

I also realized that Jebadiah will be passing near Kerbin soon. I'd like to rescue him (and collect that "Orbit around the sun" science), but there's no docking ports on his ship and I've never run a rescue mission before. Advice?
If you're rescuing a kerbal it's easy, just get within a km or two and have them EVA to your ship. Jetpack is much easier than closing that last bit of distance and maneuvering to dock.
The science on the ship itself is valuable. Almost 300 points of science, all of which would be cut by a third if I just transmitted it. I'm not sure what would happen if I had jeb remove the experiments from the ship and store them in a command module; if it works, of course I can just do rescue by EVA. But if it doesn't I'll have to wait another 50 days for the chance to rescue him again.
Jeb should be able to take all that science with him. You'll only lose out on "returning a ship from orbit of the sun" science.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe a sun orbit can be quite lucrative ship return wise.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ugh. I could have planned this better. I built a station in orbit of Minmus to refine Karbonite for fuel for outgoing ships. The station is fine, but the mining drone is garbage. It has four monoprop engines, a single large tank of fuel, and a single Karbonite tank whose description reads 1250 capacity when it's 7250 or so. I also have no way of scanning properly, and when the Karbonite tank is even half full it's too heavy to get back up to the station. And I don't know the exact conversion rate for fuel, so I don't even know if it'd be really effective.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

So I guess it's settled. If I can get close enough to Jeb, he'll EVA, grab all the science, and get on the ship.

Meanwhile, I want to get a monstrousity into the air, and I want to know: am I doing asparagus staging correctly?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: Apparently not. One rocket on the furtherest branch close to the center failed to ignite, and so there was still fuel in that wing whenever I detached. The result was catastrophic, as the wing folded in on the rocket and blew it to pieces.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:12:37 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

yes

yes you are doing it correctly

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

are you trying to get to alpha centauri Bb

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Methinks the new aerodynamics will have something to say about that. What exactly is the payload that requires you to make a Galactic Spiral out of rockets?

I've managed to get FAR working with Win64 KSP, along with the Real Solar System beta release and a few other mods. So far, everything is working as expected with no major issues. Thanks for the link to that tutorial, it saved me some time and frustration.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

are you trying to get to alpha centauri Bb
Trying to:
A) Rescue Jeb
b) get into a stable orbit around some planet without using my entire fuel supply so I can do science
C) when the science supply runs out, return to Kerbin safely.

It didn't help that the ship blew up before leaving Kerbin.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

you really do not need that much fuel

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

I've been working on an ISRU vehicle. So far, I've learned:
  • A good landing is one where no parts fell off
  • Landing on wheels tends to break them (but unlike my Duna rover, there's someone on hand to fix them)
  • Retract solar panels before driving
  • Call Blue Stakes before you drill

The motivation is that my (sandbox) munar space station has been growing out of control
as ships limp to it on the dregs of their RCS propellant. Until the orange-tanker arrived, only one of the ships attached had any fuel. Admittedly, this is my fault for launching things on stacks meant to visit things in low Kerbin orbit, then changing my mind and going to the moon instead.

Edit: I learned another lesson:

Edit 2: After some redesigning, it was able to go up-slope at speed without another accident, but during downslope testing it caught air, hit the ground and exploded. This is still better than the much larger Mk I rover, which hasn't yet made it onto the ground in one piece, and I'm prepared to admit that driving a large vehicle off a ledge at 50 MPH is not a reasonable thing to do outside of Kerbal Monster Truck Rally.

am I doing asparagus staging correctly?

That is beautiful.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:50:34 pm by fourpotatoes »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I want to get a monstrousity into the air, and I want to know: am I doing asparagus staging correctly?
If you want to get a monstrosity into the air then yes, you are definitely doing it correctly.
If you want to efficiently get a significant payload into orbit then you could do better :/
Radially attached boosters increase drag significantly, it's more efficient to add inline until you reach a point where it either gets wobbly, or can't take off under it's own power. Then use a few radial boosters to increase thrust to weight for liftoff, by the time your boosters run out the vehicle should be light enough to run off it's primary engine(s).
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

So I was bored and listening to podcasts and I decided to build a house using KIS. Here's the results.

Spoiler: House made from a kit (click to show/hide)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

I threw a probe lander on my Mun station, and then needed a fuel supply for it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got this to the Mun asap before I 'needed' any more expansions.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:53:56 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Big images should be spoilered at the least.

Jeb is missing. I don't know what happened. I closed the game with a rocket on the launch pad so I could launch the next time I played. It wasn't there when I loaded the game up, and Jeb is listed as MIA in the Astronaut Complex.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit your save file. Just search for any kerbonaut that's employed still and compare their raws to Jeb's. I forget exactly what you're looking for and am not in front of my gaming machine.
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 848